General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stirring the pot, HID's are coming!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 07:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stirring the pot, HID's are coming!

figured i would post up and let everyone know i got a set of 35w 6000k HID's heading my way from cali as i type this.

i know most of you guys hate HID's in halogen housings

will do an install in this thread when they arrive! i'm SUPER anxious!!!!!

P.S. i'm doing this because my stock headlights suck...and a set of the brightest halogens i can find is like $50...my HID's are $75 shipped and like 3x's brighter sooo...

also going to be upgrading the alternator with an MR2 100amp, prolly from a junkyard or off craigslist.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me know how it turns out...I am thinking of doing somthing like this on my truck, Just haven't made up my mind.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
6000K's are gonna suck worse then your stock halogens on wet pavement. And WORMS, put yourself in front of a reflector housing truck with HIDs whether it be in your rear view mirror or in oncoming traffic, it will make up your mind for ya. I make it a point when I get blinded by a ricer behind me in his lowered car to slow down pull over and get behind them and drive with my low and high beams on (they stay on together with the harness I made) along with my fog/driving lights blasting them with 440 watts of light.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 11-04-2011 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:59 PM

hey, everyone else is doing it...might as well join the bandwagon.

however that's the only bandwagon i'll be on LOL

i'm gonna be sure to aim them, which will help with blinding people.

hopefully gonna pick up a set of cheapo spot lights off of craigslist and then convert them to HID for high beams. although it will be illegal to run them on the road.

however i would only run them if there are NO cars in front of me, in my lane or the oncoming lane, they're just too bright, could cause a wreck.

i'm just tired of not being able to see crap with my stockers...even my brights suck....

can't wait to get em in lol

yea i've heard the "whiter" or "bluer" you go, the worse they are in the rain.

i would have went with 4300K or 5000K, but the bright white of 6000K is intrigueing hahaha!

if i was planning on keeping the 4runner for a long amount of time, then i would probably end up saving my money and doing a proper retrofit with a custom glass lens(no fluting) and a set of FX-R projectors with some 55w 5000K or 6000K. but since i plan on selling it sometime within a year or two, no need to do anything THAT major. lol
Old 11-04-2011, 08:04 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
It's illegal to run HIDs in reflector housings too and 6k's are gonna appear blue anyway especially on wet pavement. Which in most states is illegal. I got 5k's in the BMW but are in projectors and even they seem a bit blue at times. And it's not so much the aiming that's the problem blinding people, it's the light refraction and scattering. Aiming will not do anything for that.

All I can say is be glad you don't live in Cali. lol.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:14 PM

yes but leaving them aimed like they are is gonna be about 100x's worse than aiming them down.

effffffffffff Cali......lol

i see people running with purple and green HID's around here so color isn't a problem lol.

didn't know it was illegal in Oklahoma....lol hmmmm

i'm currently lookin at a set of Vision X 5512's...says they're upgradeable to HID, i wonder if this means that the reflector is for an HID AND Halogen? weird.

no matter, i shouldn't have any trouble with the law, especially since everyone else around these parts is running HID's in their halogen housings.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did them and never looked back! I already did a set on my 90 which I converted to the 93 style front end!
Old 11-04-2011, 08:19 PM

Checkout page 3 to see what I did with my last vehicle!
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...64/index3.html
Old 11-04-2011, 08:22 PM

Gunna have to agree, even my 5ks are a little too blue in the rain.

I've got my halogens in my projectors as the dims. It's very polite this way around town, with the HIDs on all the time I didn't even notice if I turned the brights (halogen) on or not.

I've got the HID brights in the reflector housings, and they light up everything as far as I can see reasonably. I would NOT recommend having HIDs in a reflector housing full time EVER. It's very blinding for other driver's.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:27 PM

Hey n2o302 your lights don't seem to have the same beam pattern as mine?

mine looks more like Mak's 4runner's beam patter...thin and wide when facing a wall...yours looks like it's gonna be thicker and narrower....if you understand what i'm saying.

to be honest, i get blinded every night i'm driving around, and most aren't even HID's really....i run around with my brights on all the time except in town and i never get flashed or anything, they're just not bright.

i do agree though, these HID's will probably be a bit much...but oh well. i guess if a cop stops me, i'll just say i bought it like that LOL
Old 11-04-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by camo31_10.50
Hey n2o302 your lights don't seem to have the same beam pattern as mine?

mine looks more like Mak's 4runner's beam patter...thin and wide when facing a wall...yours looks like it's gonna be thicker and narrower....if you understand what i'm saying.

to be honest, i get blinded every night i'm driving around, and most aren't even HID's really....i run around with my brights on all the time except in town and i never get flashed or anything, they're just not bright.

i do agree though, these HID's will probably be a bit much...but oh well. i guess if a cop stops me, i'll just say i bought it like that LOL
Are you talking about the headlights or the Hella 700's that I converted.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:50 AM

I'm all for having brighter headlights as I, too, own a 2nd gen 4Runner with those crappy bug eye looking headlights with the 9004 bulbs also known as the HB1 bulbs. Crappy low beam but decent high beam. But I am now totally against putting an aftermarket HID "retro fit" or "system" into a halogen light whose lens pattern is set up for a specific halogen bulb like our 9004 bulb. Having more light is one thing, but the illusion of safety by having more light that is not properly focused and is blinding oncoming drivers is very dangerous not only for them but for you as well. This is a very good must read here:

http://danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/HID.html

He explains a lot here as he knows a lot. I have sent this guy many emails and he is more than happy to respond in a timely and thoughtful manner. I am going to be buying his kit to make my own relay harness for my headlights. I am going to be using marine grade 12 AWG wire. Good stuff, not cheap. I firmly believe in buying the good "Made in USA or Germany" stuff and not that Epay ricer stuff. Do it right and do it once.

I've been looking into options for the headlights on my 94 4Runner. I was considering doing the HID thing but then it just didn't seem the best thing to do. I'd rather build a quality harness for the headlights to assure that the bulbs are getting 13+ volts of power and buy a quality set of new 9004 bulbs with the clear lens and not the "HID" blue tinted bulbs. I once bought into that scam until I finally smarted up years ago. Those bulbs are a total rip off.

If everyone was going to jump out of a plane with out a chute or jump off a bridge claiming it was the thing to do, I'd don't think I would follow. Just saying. By upgrading the battery cables, alternator cable and using a heavier harness for the headlights, there would be a definite improvement in the light coming from our headlights. Adding supplemental lighting such as a cheaper set like the Hella 500's would provide additional light as well. You could go more expansive but the 500's work very nice for the price. I had them on my 88. I still have to add them to my 94. I live in the country and they helped me see those delicious deer at night.

i guess if a cop stops me, i'll just say i bought it like that LOL

That doesn't prevent you from being responsible as you are now driving the vehicle and you own it...

Plus if it was me, camo31, I would know...all depends on your attitude at the time of the stop...

I did them and never looked back! I already did a set on my 90 which I converted to the 93 style front end!

n2o302, you had the better looking front end in my eyes (but I like the 90-95 pickup grills better) and which has the H6054 sealed beams which can be replaced with E-code headlight housings such as http://www.rallylights.com/SearchRes...CategoryID=365 which are way better than their sealed counterparts and put more light where it's supposed to go.

I'm sure HID's have their place but I cannot stand the colors over the 4500K as they start to turn bluish/purplish and bother my eyes. Those hotter range HID's may be putting out more light, but driving at speed with blue light out in front of you has to mess with your perception of stuff at night. No thanks. Bright white light for me. I am not trying to preach to you guys. If you want HID lights, that's fine. Then buy a newer truck or car with housings made for them. That's all I'm saying....
Old 11-05-2011, 05:44 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I did HID's in my '81..they are aimed down so far they are worthless...
You need a true projector conversion to get the benefits of HID's
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227

as far as telling a cop 'it was like that when i bought it' yep, good luck with that one...
Old 11-05-2011, 06:12 AM

I've had good luck fixing up my yota headlights so far. 4 vehicles now and I've made them all pretty decent. Every one has been aimed down too far when I got it. The low beams just aimed at the dirt like fog lights. How these people drove around safely at night, I have no idea.

I had sealed beams on my hilux. They had the nicest beam pattern. Nice smooth light everywhere with no bright blotches like the cheap fixtures for the replaceable bulb type.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:34 PM

you'd be surprised just how many times that little "i bought it like this" has saved my tail.

like having no cat on my '86, yep. saved me. told him i would fix it soon.

and yes your headlights.

idk where you guys are getting the blue from in a 6000K....all of the 5000K-6000K lights i've seen are BRIGHT WHITE. like a sheet of white paper. and the 4300K looks like the stock headlights, just brighter. i want the WHITE. not the stock.

i posted this thread hoping to "stir the pot" LOL

quite frankly i don't give a rats tail who thinks what

if i could easily put some aftermarket lights in my 4runner, like you can with the 2nd gen pickups and first gen 4runners, then i would no doubt! but since i can't...i'll just install my HID's, and hold my hand up high with only one finger pointed up, not saying which finger though.

"TO EACH THEIR OWN"
Old 11-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Just don't drive behind me. K pls thnx...
Old 11-07-2011, 11:14 AM

Deal.

i get blinded all the time, so i guess i'm just used to it?

we'll see how it goes, the kit should be here wednesday.

going to try my best to get them aimed to where they're not AS BAD.
and i would even consider "smoking" the lenses to reduce the glare a little bit.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:56 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by daved5150
n2o302, you had the better looking front end in my eyes (but I like the 90-95 pickup grills better) and which has the H6054 sealed beams which can be replaced with E-code headlight housings such as http://www.rallylights.com/SearchRes...CategoryID=365 which are way better than their sealed counterparts and put more light where it's supposed to go.
I run the hella e-codes with HID from ddm tuning. 35w kit with 5k bulbs.

Yes the light is white

yes the light is bright

yes the light scatters a little bit,

I dont get flashed by on coming drivers. I don't even get a second look from the cops in front of me.

HID's are for projectors, that's what they are made for, and that's what you need for maximum performance.

I personally chose to run the setup I have and Have not had any issues for the last 2 years.

Just my .02

@camo- you don't give a rat's rear end on anyones thoughts.....why did you post?

Last edited by OrRunner; 11-07-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:26 PM

i posted because i know people ARE interested in the topic.

there is very little REAL FIRST HAND feedback with the 2nd gen 92-95 housings.

only other ones i know of are n2o302, and Mak.

everyone just keeps saying "oh it's the worst idea ever" blah blah blah.

so i believe everyone should see/hear BOTH SIDES of the argument.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:02 PM

Appreciate the input, OrRunner. Thank you. I don't know...if I get more positive info on it, I would think about it. Thanks for posting.

Quick Reply: Stirring the pot, HID's are coming!