General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse lights for trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reverse lights for trailer

I'm slowly working on wiring my '00 Tacoma for pulling a trailer. The thing that's got me stumped now is the reverse lights. I know I don't really need 'em but the trailer is wired for it so I figure I might as well...

I ran a wire from the 7 pin connector at the hitch to the engine compartment. But I can't figure out where to hook it up. Is there a fuse for the reverse lights? Does this wire end up in the engine compartment at all or does it end under the dash?

Any help appreciated...

Andy
Old 09-02-2004, 02:01 PM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Why didn't you just run the wire from the connector up to the nearest reverse light?
Old 09-02-2004, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Flamedx4
Why didn't you just run the wire from the connector up to the nearest reverse light?
Well now, that would make too much sense wouldn't it? What I had in mind was doing it 'the right way'--finding a good place to hook it in the engine compartment. Hooking it up to the reverse light would be cheating...

Probably what I'll end up doing though...
Old 09-02-2004, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by akprodr@yahoo.com
Well now, that would make too much sense wouldn't it? What I had in mind was doing it 'the right way'--finding a good place to hook it in the engine compartment. Hooking it up to the reverse light would be cheating...

Probably what I'll end up doing though...
Not cheating....why run needless wires?
Old 09-02-2004, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you may want to keep that wire that you put in the engine compartment for a power wire for a relay, i would recommend using a relay which is triggered off of your backup lights, that way you don't overload your factory harness
Old 09-02-2004, 04:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Definatly use a relay, I think the trailers two extra lights and 20' of wire will blow a fuse out.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by superjoe83
you may want to keep that wire that you put in the engine compartment for a power wire for a relay, i would recommend using a relay which is triggered off of your backup lights, that way you don't overload your factory harness
Actually, I was going to put the relay in the trailer itself and run the lights off of the trailer battery.

I wasn't exactly sure what I would be needing so I ran 4 wires: a brake control wire (10ga), two wires (12ga each) for 12 v power to the trailer for battery charging and frig, and a wire for the reverse lights.

I did the brake controller first since that was fairly mandatory. I've finally assembled all the pieces I need for the 12 volt run. I was hoping to do the reverse lights at the same time.

I'm planning to put the circuit breaker and relay for the 12 volt inbetween the battery and the wheel well. I'll have to remove the battery to do that
so I have to find an adequate amount of time. If someone has an idea for a better place to put it, lemme know...
Old 02-10-2008, 10:46 AM

Possible solution to all 12v trailer light problems.

Originally Posted by akprodr@yahoo.com
Actually, I was going to put the relay in the trailer itself and run the lights off of the trailer battery.

I wasn't exactly sure what I would be needing so I ran 4 wires: a brake control wire (10ga), two wires (12ga each) for 12 v power to the trailer for battery charging and frig, and a wire for the reverse lights.

I did the brake controller first since that was fairly mandatory. I've finally assembled all the pieces I need for the 12 volt run. I was hoping to do the reverse lights at the same time.

I'm planning to put the circuit breaker and relay for the 12 volt inbetween the battery and the wheel well. I'll have to remove the battery to do that
so I have to find an adequate amount of time. If someone has an idea for a better place to put it, lemme know...
I have designed a rather special relay that isolates the vehicle lights and switches on the trailer lights. This is especialy useful for fog and reversing lights where they are not wanted on the towing vehicle as long as the trailer lights are working (no bulb failured). So its all pritty safe and fit and forget stuff and it is entirely passsive so no wire runs to the front of the vehicle. Let me now if you want one. Two would be required if the lights you are switching are left and right individually fused.