General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need more power!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 03:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
need more power!

so i have ran down another red top! what a surprise! any way i have 8 hella's a cb raido and a sub and plan on getting a winch in the future so i am gonna do a gm alternator but i have a marine deep cycle and an interstate starting battery... gonna have to play around with locations for them... but i have been doing some reading and give up on reading any more so what is a good setup that is very reliable and will not have to worry about it getting used and abused???
Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
any one?! what about battery options any one have any thoughts on if i should do one odyssey or one deep cycle and one starting??
Old 04-05-2012, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im running a starting battery and an optima deep cycle battery.

I have the painless dual battery isolator kit and it works great so far.

Like you I have plans to do the gm alternator swap but just haven't got
around to doing it yet.

I ran two gauge battery cable on everything while i was in there to handle the extra power when its time for the gm alternator swap.

I also bought the wagon wired llc relay and fuse box to run all of my accessories and it has turned out to be great.

For the terminals I am running marine battery terminals. They are great for attaching extra wires to.

I am at work right now but I will try to post some pictures later.

Also you may try searching around on here, there is some great info out there about dual battery setups.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
there's a great article in the last 4wd Toyota Owner's magazine about dual battery setup, worth checkin out for sure. I've heard that the red tops are being made outside of the US now and quality is apparantly going (has gone) downhill fast. Too bad the price doesn't reflect...

The key with dual batteries is to buy them at the same time, and most preferably, run the same batteries for optimum use according to one of my automotive wiring books. I've always used xyz brand from O'rielly's, I get the one that has the most cold cranking amps and they have all lasted past 5 years with no issue.

Unless you want to run all your accessories with the engine off frequently, there's not much point I don't think in buying a deep cycle battery.

The pre-fabbed battery isolator kits are pretty slick, make this mod/upgrade a hundred times easier.

Be sure to post up what you wind up using for the alternator too, I want to upgrade to a high output myself, always curious to see what people can make work in these things.