General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Tail lights - resistors installed, no cruise when lights are on?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar thought Wyoming9. I had noticed that one of my license plate lights were out. My thought was that maybe, just maybe, that was throwing off the cruise when I turned my lights on. No luck. But I do now have bright license plate lights!

My flasher arrived yesterday; unfortunately the snow arrived as well. I'm hoping to get it in soon and see if that makes a difference.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The brake lights have a green and green yellow wire plus a ground. The resistor is connected in series to those two wires.
Your post above was throwing me off, because generally Toyota is pretty consistent with the wiring colors of the brake circuit in the Tacomas and 4Runners. The only place where you see two different wire colors in the brake (stop) light circuit is at the stop light switch. Green/yellow is the 12v. feed and green/white goes from the stop light switch to the bulbs in the rear of the vehicle. If yours has different colors at the brake lights then I just learned something new!
This may be a stupid question, but did you by chance install the resistor(s) at the stop light switch or did you install it near the leds at the rear of the vehicle?
The reason I ask is this:- beyond the stop light switch there is a junction where the stop light circuit branches to feed:- the shift lock control relay, ABS actuator with ECU, Engine control module, STP- pin of the cruise control computer and of course the stop lights. These computers are looking for battery voltage, a resistor in the circuit before this junction would lower that voltage and voltage below an programmed range to any computer can have some pretty weird results.
The integration relay on the back side of the cabin fuse relay panel might be at fault as well and toyota doesn't seem to do a great job in showing all of the circuits that tie into the integration relay.
Also if your looking for diagrams for $15.00 you can get 48 hour access to the Toyota Information Site and download any diagram, or manual from 1990 to present that you want. Here is the link:-

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfo....toyota.com%2F
Old 12-31-2013, 02:10 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Since I have no cruise control and No ABS Brakes just why is a resistor needed in the Brake light circuit using LED Brake and Tail lights??

Is some sort of voltage needed to be seen in the ECM or cruise control computer or the ABS module to make it work??
Old 12-31-2013, 07:05 PM

I put the resistors right before the lights. They are mounted to the metal behind the lights. The colors I mentioned are the colors of the wiring provided by Eagle Eyes, the manufacturer of these LEDs.

Next time I take the lights off I will take a photo. I should be able to put in the LED flasher and test everything in the next few days.

Do you think that the back up lights being LED as well is throwing off the CC circuit?

Thanks all!
Old 01-05-2014, 02:10 PM

Put in the LED flasher. No difference. CC still turns off when lights are turned on.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:28 PM

Red face

i said it would make no difference.

You need to check your the circuits attached to the brake light switch.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:01 PM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
Have you removed the resistors going to the brake lights yet? I would think you should only need them for the signals to stop the hyper flash but with the flasher you shouldn't need anything else for LEDs, Anyhoo just a thought. This all started with the resistors and the brake lights correct?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:54 AM

Red face

It is either a problem in the cruise control unrelated to the LED light install

For some reason the cruise control computer sees the tail light signal as the brakes being applied thus not allowing it to set.

In the case where it is being used the lights are turned on it sees that as brakes being used and disengages .

I don`t have cruise control on any vehicle so I never really learned much about the system.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:17 AM

I had the same problem with Rock Auto regular replacement tail lights. Turns out the wires needed to be switched, brake lights were on instead of running lights including high center mounted one. Once I spliced the wires "backwards" it works like a charm. I know LED is a bit different but that's what worked for me. Btw, the Toyota dealer price on '94 T4R replacement lights was $142.00 each! Rock Auto: $62/ea. Worth the hassle just wish I caught it sooner.

New here and you guys have been helpful already, thanks!
Old 01-20-2014, 12:13 AM

Red face

well did you ever get this sorted out?

I could use the excuse for a road trip Ha Ha!!