General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPF Roof lights w/basket quick disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by runneroffroad
Hey man I did this to my runner and didn't have a sun roof. Used 5 wires (4 power, 1 ground) drilled a hole and used a water tight fitting. Wires are ran under my headliner down the a pillar behind the grab handle. All 5 12 ga wires fit tight. Check out my build up for pics. Hope this helps.
I checked out your build thread and it looks great! So did you just splice all 4 ground wires into 1 so you just had to run 1 ground wire down the A pillar? Is there a recommended gauge of wire that I should use because I seen this done with all different gauges ranging from 12-16.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4ever4running
I checked out your build thread and it looks great! So did you just splice all 4 ground wires into 1 so you just had to run 1 ground wire down the A pillar? Is there a recommended gauge of wire that I should use because I seen this done with all different gauges ranging from 12-16.
ya just splice the grounds together. i used 12 gauge to be on the save side. i would say 14 would be fine if u wanted to use it
Old 02-03-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by runneroffroad
ya just splice the grounds together. i used 12 gauge to be on the save side. i would say 14 would be fine if u wanted to use it
Okay because I'm not sure what wire gauge PIAA uses for their lights but I will look at mine and see if I can find out, and hopefully use the same gauge. I just know that there is limited space where I want to run the wires so 12 ga might be a little too big. I just want to make sure that I can fit all 5 wires in one hole so I don't have to drill a second hole. To run the wires to the A pillar did you have to remove the headliner? or did you just use some sort of a "fishing" tool to run the wires under the headliner? Thanks!
Old 02-03-2011, 09:28 AM

Okay because I'm not sure what wire gauge PIAA uses for their lights but I will look at mine and see if I can find out, and hopefully use the same gauge. I just know that there is limited space where I want to run the wires so 12 ga might be a little too big. I just want to make sure that I can fit all 5 wires in one hole so I don't have to drill a second hole. To run the wires to the A pillar did you have to remove the headliner? or did you just use some sort of a "fishing" tool to run the wires under the headliner? Thanks!
I gotya. I can't remember what gauge ipf uses. I just removed the grab handle, sun visor and the rear view mirrow and had enough room buy holding done the headliner where I had to run my wire.
Oooo ya watch out where u drill though there are cross braces that run across the roof so make sure u don't drill though those.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by DIHOWARD
Sure Seal Connectors
http://www.suresealconnections.com/.

Warning:you have to make the connectors yourself. They give you the plugs and the pins separate.
Did you order the Sure Seal Connector from them directly or did you go through a different site? It appears that you have to call them to place an order, is that what you did? I was looking at their website and it looks like they have a ton of connectors and pins to choose from, do you still have the model numbers of the stuff you ordered? Thanks again!

Does anyone know of a place/website where I can find a similar connector? I just want to be able to remove my Yakima basket with the attached lights if I need to so some sort of quick disconnect is a necessary.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

on the Sure-Seal website, look in the distributors page. I just hit the first available website.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:46 AM

on the Sure-Seal website, look in the distributors page. I just hit the first available website.
Perfect. I just placed my order. I saw that you mentioned the need for "Open Barrel Crimping Pliers" are they absolutely necessary to crimp the pins to the wires or can you just use standard wire crimpers? Do you have any idea where to get these from? Thanks again for all your help!
Old 02-11-2011, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

A good pair of crimping pliers will make the job easier, absolutly neccessary, maybe not. I think that when you see the pins, you will be able to decide. If you have a friend who's an electrician, see if you can borrow one, otherwise look online.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:13 PM

Did you order the Sure Seal Connector from them directly or did you go through a different site? It appears that you have to call them to place an order, is that what you did? I was looking at their website and it looks like they have a ton of connectors and pins to choose from, do you still have the model numbers of the stuff you ordered? Thanks again!

Does anyone know of a place/website where I can find a similar connector? I just want to be able to remove my Yakima basket with the attached lights if I need to so some sort of quick disconnect is a necessary.
3-4 years ago I stumbled across these connectors. They were giving away free samples. That's how I got 4 of the flanged 4-pin connectors for my rack wiring.

Don't see the link on their site anymore, but you might try emailing them to see if you can snag something free.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Midget96
3-4 years ago I stumbled across these connectors. They were giving away free samples. That's how I got 4 of the flanged 4-pin connectors for my rack wiring.

Don't see the link on their site anymore, but you might try emailing them to see if you can snag something free.
Man that would have been nice! I just ended up ordering a 5-pin male, a 5-pin female connector, 10 male pins, and 10 female pins from one of their distributors. I know that I won't need all the pins but I would rather have a couple of extras just in case I mess some of the connections up. All together I think it was about $25 shipped. A little bit more expensive than I expected but worth it in my mind.

Also, once I receive everything I will check to make sure they are the correct parts and I will post the part numbers so anyone who wants to know exactly what they need can find them easily because it was kind of a pain in the butt to find the exact part numbers of what I was looking for.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:10 AM

A good pair of crimping pliers will make the job easier, absolutly neccessary, maybe not. I think that when you see the pins, you will be able to decide. If you have a friend who's an electrician, see if you can borrow one, otherwise look online.
Thanks for the advice but unfortunately I don't have any electrician friends so I just googled "open barrel crimping pliars" and ended up just buying a pair for about $20 plus shipping. Even though they may not have been completely necessary, I figured that they would make the job a lot easier.