General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPF Roof lights w/basket quick disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IPF Roof lights w/basket quick disconnect

Here's some pics of my new lightbar (homemade) with IPF 100w lamps.
I have ALOT more pics of the quick disconnect and how I ran the wiring through the roof. I will post them if anyone is interested.

Daytime

Roof lights off

Roof lights on

From the side

The Mothership has landed

Full Power

Last edited by DIHOWARD; 06-13-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:42 AM

Looks nice. Can you still see after taking those pictures or do you still see spots? lol
Old 06-14-2009, 07:58 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
OH MAN!!
Looks like that scene with Richard Dreyfus at the rail road crossing in Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Old 06-15-2009, 08:47 AM

Can you post up the details on how you ran your wires and the quick disconnects?

TIA
Old 06-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Contributing Member

Not a problem, I can do it tonight. check back later.
Be warned! it did involve drilling a hole in the roof. Also, It helps if you have a sunroof.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Contributing Member

sweet... what you need now is some green LED lights in the grill to complete the mother ship... ( I'd say blue LEDs but the cops might not like it)
Old 06-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

(Photos)Quick disconnect for basket lights

I'll be more than happy to share any detail of this install.

Sure Seal 5 pin connector-4 power with 1 common ground.

Connector halves together

Roof grommet (PCV Valve)

Run into cabin along sunroof.

Relay bracket.

Run into the Blue Sea Mod w/relay.

Last edited by DIHOWARD; 06-17-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:52 PM

In the first pic were the lights on or were those running lights of some sort?
Old 06-17-2009, 07:37 PM

looks great! Where did you get the quick disconnects? I've been wanting to wire my lights on my roof rack for the longest time but haven't really seen any quick disconnects like that around.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:44 AM
Contributing Member

The lights are on, you just can't see them because it's the middle of the day.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:47 AM
Contributing Member

Sure Seal Connectors
http://www.suresealconnections.com/.

Warning:you have to make the connectors yourself. They give you the plugs and the pins separate.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:04 AM

How hard was it to make the connectors? I'm pretty handy when it comes to wiring so I'm guessing it shouldn't be hard.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

Not very hard...If you have the right tools.
the crimps on the pins require an (Google) "Open Barrel Crimping Pliers". I was unable to find one in any of the typical retail stores. A guy at work lent me his.
How many wires are you going to be running?
Old 06-20-2009, 05:53 AM

I'm not really sure yet. I'm still trying to decide how many lights i want up there. Maybe 2 in the front, 2 in the back, and 1 on each side. Or 2 on every side. I'm not sure but no more than 4 wires not including grounds.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:09 AM

hey man i just got my 4 ipf 968s and was wondering if you used one switch or 2 for all 4 lights? i want to use one but didnt know if was a good ideal. i got the pilot rocker switch w/ led i want to use too. should i just cut out the switch harness and put in my switch?
Thanks man and looks really good.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

I used 1 switch that controls 2 relays.

For the most part, I used the IPF harness with the Toyota OEM fog switches.

Last edited by DIHOWARD; 05-16-2010 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DIHOWARD
I used 1 switch that controls 2 relays.

For the most part, I used the IPF harness with the Toyota OEM fog switches.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I am looking to put 4 PIAA's on my roof rack and your lights look great! I just have a couple of questions...
1) How exactly did you wire the 2 relays to one switch?
2) Can I wire up the 4 light to one switch without the "Blue Sea Mod"?
3) Any thoughts on how I can run the wires into the cab/engine compartment if I don't have a sunroof?
4) Finally, how exactly did you make that light bar? I have a Yakima rack too and I don't feel like paying $120 for 4 light mounts.
Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

I did modify the wiring harness that came with the IPF lights.

1. to use 1 switch with 2 relays, just crimp both of the power leads to 1 spade connector. the Toyota factory switch can handle the load no problems.
All 4 lights are on 1 switch.

2.Blue Sea Mod is not necessary, more of a convenience. If you look at the picture of the 2 relays, you can see the rubber plug in the firewall. This is where I ran the wires through. wires from the roof come down the passenger side A pillar, and through the plug located behind the glove box. I did the fuse box there so I would have an accessable power supply on the passenger side of the vehicle. By the way, the fuse box is also on it's own relay.

3. Great lengths have been taken to run wires from the roof. I guess it depends if you can tolerate visible wires. Over the side and down the B pillar might work.

4. That light bar took me 45 minutes to make. 1.5" aluminum angle attached with Yakima bar clamps, you know the ones, they wrap around the bar and have a bolt that passes through it, simple. Give yourself enough room for at least 4 clamps. Depending on the size of your lights, mine started to "roll" backwards at 70 mph.

Hope this answered some of your questions.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DIHOWARD
I did modify the wiring harness that came with the IPF lights.

1. to use 1 switch with 2 relays, just crimp both of the power leads to 1 spade connector. the Toyota factory switch can handle the load no problems.
All 4 lights are on 1 switch.

2.Blue Sea Mod is not necessary, more of a convenience. If you look at the picture of the 2 relays, you can see the rubber plug in the firewall. This is where I ran the wires through. wires from the roof come down the passenger side A pillar, and through the plug located behind the glove box. I did the fuse box there so I would have an accessable power supply on the passenger side of the vehicle. By the way, the fuse box is also on it's own relay.

3. Great lengths have been taken to run wires from the roof. I guess it depends if you can tolerate visible wires. Over the side and down the B pillar might work.

4. That light bar took me 45 minutes to make. 1.5" aluminum angle attached with Yakima bar clamps, you know the ones, they wrap around the bar and have a bolt that passes through it, simple. Give yourself enough room for at least 4 clamps. Depending on the size of your lights, mine started to "roll" backwards at 70 mph.

Hope this answered some of your questions.
Thanks! That does help a lot! Can you share any more detail/pics about that light bar that you made? I think it is a really cool idea and would save me some $$$. Did you say that 4 clamps is enough or do I need more to keep the lights from rolling back a high speeds? Finally I see that you only have a total of 5 wires (4 power, 1 ground) running into the cab/engine bay, did you just splice all 4 ground wires together into 1? Do you have any sort of a diagram that would help me with the wiring? Thanks again!
Old 01-31-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by 4ever4running
Thanks! That does help a lot! Can you share any more detail/pics about that light bar that you made? I think it is a really cool idea and would save me some $$$. Did you say that 4 clamps is enough or do I need more to keep the lights from rolling back a high speeds? Finally I see that you only have a total of 5 wires (4 power, 1 ground) running into the cab/engine bay, did you just splice all 4 ground wires together into 1? Do you have any sort of a diagram that would help me with the wiring? Thanks again!
Hey man I did this to my runner and didn't have a sun roof. Used 5 wires (4 power, 1 ground) drilled a hole and used a water tight fitting. Wires are ran under my headliner down the a pillar behind the grab handle. All 5 12 ga wires fit tight. Check out my build up for pics. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: IPF Roof lights w/basket quick disconnect