General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fix your alternator, don't buy one

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fix your alternator, don't buy one

I searched around and didn't find any threads on this yet so here it goes....My wife owns a 94 4runner with the 3.0, the other day we were driving home with the wipers, heater, and radio going along with the lights on. At stop lights the radio would die, the lights would dim and the voltmeter on the dash would dip down below the half mark. When we got home I checked the output with my Multimeter and found with the brights, heater, radio, and wipers on the battery was below 12 volts even when revved to 2000 RPM's. I told my wife she needs an alternator and how much it is and she told me to find another way because we can't afford it with Christmas coming up. I then decided to find a used one, but I couldn't get ahold of the only person on craigslist with one for sale, so on to plan 3, replace the brushes in the alternator, its not hard to do, I did mine in about an hour with removal and install included.

Image Hosting

Remove the rear cover by removing the 3 8mm nuts and the 10 mm nut on the plastic boot. When you get the cover off below is what you will see, the red arrow shows the brushes in the holder assembly, the blue points to the 2 screws that hold it in.

Image Hosting

After you remove the brushes, you have 2 options, replace the assembly as a whole from Toyota ($21) or solder in new brushes from an auto parts store. I chose the Toyota unit because its not much more and will let me rest easy that I wont be rescuing my wife on the side of the road. The image below shows the old brushes the closest one was worn down to where it had no more travel, thus not making good contact.

Image Hosting

And finally the new brushes.

Image Hosting

After installing the alternator, it is at 14.6 volts at idle. I used part #27370-35060 for $21 from the dealer. Like I said, it's not hard to do and easier on the wallet than a reman alternator from the parts stores or the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
scuba (11-22-2010)
Old 11-22-2010, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if mine ever dies, im putting in the big 'ol GM alternator with the trail-gear kit. lights, compressor, winch, stereo etc....
Old 11-22-2010, 10:02 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

What would you have done had it not been the brushes ??

What if the regulator had failed?? last I checked they were more than half the cost of rebuilt.

I am glad it worked for you.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wyoming9
What would you have done had it not been the brushes ??

What if the regulator had failed?? last I checked they were more than half the cost of rebuilt.

I am glad it worked for you.
Well on a truck with 170,000 miles with an original Toyota alternator that has not been driven through a river as far as I know, I tend to lean more towards the mechanical than electrical causing the problem. In my opinion, electrical components are far more reliable than mechanical components. When I asked the parts guy at Toyota if the brushes are a common problem, he said they were which is why he had them in stock. I have had problems with auto parts store alternators in the past and would rather stick with stock. If the regulator did fail, than I guess I would have just gone to the pick n pull and grabbed one there and swapped the regulator. It all came down to a loss of time or an expense I wasn't willing to pay, plus I feel more accomplished replacing the brushes compared to just picking up an under performing (IMO) auto parts store rebuild.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by gary_the_4runner
if mine ever dies, im putting in the big 'ol GM alternator with the trail-gear kit. lights, compressor, winch, stereo etc....
Maybe if it were my truck, but for my wife's 4runner, it doesn't get upgrades, other than the electric fan I put in, but that was to save money also, the fan bearing went out and Toyota wanted like $700 for it.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:42 PM

1996 Toyota 4Runner 3.4 Auto Trans 4X4

There is an alternator rebuild shop nearby. Is there any tips on building out an alternator for higher output, better bearings, heavier duty regulator.

There is something about buying an alternator off the shelf and not knowing any spec's other that it might fit, doesn't set well with me...............

Who sells performance alternator parts..............

Last edited by forsyth793; 12-16-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by forsyth793
1996 Toyota 4Runner 3.4 Auto Trans 4X4

There is an alternator rebuild shop nearby. Is there any tips on building out an alternator for higher output, better bearings, heavier duty regulator.

There is something about buying an alternator off the shelf and not knowing any spec's other that it might fit, doesn't set well with me...............

Who sells performance alternator parts..............
I am not so sure on building a stock one for more output, but I am sure once you got all the parts to do it, the price would overshadow the performance. Trail Gear sells a bracket to hook up a GM alternator for like $40, I read about "Mean Green" in my Toyota Magazine, but they are expensive.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
a gm cs-144 out of a 95 cadillac deville bolts right up with a few washers and some wiring it puts out 100amps at idle vs the stock 40 or what ever it is

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/c...nstall-209649/
Old 01-04-2011, 02:13 PM

My son's truck has over 220k miles, if the alternator goes bad, I will at least take cover off and check brushes..If questionable, I will replace them too....