General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alternator upgrade ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alternator upgrade ideas

I have a brand new interstate battery in my 89 22re toy and when i come to a stop off the hwy at night my headlights become noticeably dimmer and my heater blower slows. im running a hayden electric rad fan (witch prob isnt even running being the time of year, two bass boxes, two kicker speakers up front and a tiny 200w amp, as well as a cb radio and brighter temp sylvania head lights. Im thinking my alts having a hard time keeping up, I plan on building a front bumper with two hella 500s, a lightbar with four 500s and a rear bumper with rearward facing reverse lights in the near future so i was thinking about purchasing 130amp or higher output alternator, i have also heard of some ppl retrofitting gm alternators? and is there anything else to be considered when upgrading to a higher output alt? any advice appreciated
Old 12-09-2011, 11:35 AM

BIGGER WIRE!!!!!!!
Factory alternator wire was only meant for about half that!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:45 AM

FYI there is a company out of California on eBay that sells a 130amp reman for $101 shipped
Old 12-09-2011, 12:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by David_mx70
I have a brand new interstate battery in my 89 22re toy and when i come to a stop off the hwy at night my headlights become noticeably dimmer and my heater blower slows. im running a hayden electric rad fan (witch prob isnt even running being the time of year, two bass boxes, two kicker speakers up front and a tiny 200w amp, as well as a cb radio and brighter temp sylvania head lights. Im thinking my alts having a hard time keeping up, I plan on building a front bumper with two hella 500s, a lightbar with four 500s and a rear bumper with rearward facing reverse lights in the near future so i was thinking about purchasing 130amp or higher output alternator, i have also heard of some ppl retrofitting gm alternators? and is there anything else to be considered when upgrading to a higher output alt? any advice appreciated
there's a lot you can do, and the info is all here, practically step-by-step descriptions at that.

you may find the info easier if you google search for these topics:

toyota headlight harness upgrade
toyota alternator upgrade
big 3 upgrade (battery/alt cables, engine ground straps)

check 4crawler.com for some write-ups, and look on yt and pirate4x4 for more detailed write-ups from others.

improving old ground points, upgrading harnesses, and installing a h.o. alt, will definitely address your issues. after just a few hours reading, you'll be amp'd!
Old 12-09-2011, 12:08 PM

... so i was thinking about purchasing 130amp or higher output alternator, i have also heard of some ppl retrofitting gm alternators? and is there anything else to be considered when upgrading to a higher output alt? any advice appreciated
I don't understand; you answered your own question. With a little more attention to detail youve would have found your answers...
Old 12-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
get a gm alternator ?
Old 12-09-2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by streetlancer
I don't understand; you answered your own question. With a little more attention to detail youve would have found your answers...
really... and with a little more attention to detail you would have realized i really didnt answer my own inquiry.. and was not anly a question but i was also asking for other ideas and possibly advise.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
get a gm alternator ?
ya i read a thread about someone going to do a gm alternator swap but didnt really go into much detail, thought you guys might have heard somethin of the sort? i never heard of it either
Old 12-09-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by tj884Rdlx
there's a lot you can do, and the info is all here, practically step-by-step descriptions at that.

you may find the info easier if you google search for these topics:

toyota headlight harness upgrade
toyota alternator upgrade
big 3 upgrade (battery/alt cables, engine ground straps)

check 4crawler.com for some write-ups, and look on yt and pirate4x4 for more detailed write-ups from others.

improving old ground points, upgrading harnesses, and installing a h.o. alt, will definitely address your issues. after just a few hours reading, you'll be amp'd!
thanks for the input
Old 12-12-2011, 08:24 AM

The newest alternator upgrade info in the Toyota community is the Jaguar 130 amp alt. It just needs a pulley swap and other than that it's plug-n-play. You can read about it here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-heavy-245286/
Old 12-12-2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by WD_40
The newest alternator upgrade info in the Toyota community is the Jaguar 130 amp alt. It just needs a pulley swap and other than that it's plug-n-play. You can read about it here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...-heavy-245286/
awsome! thats what i was lookin for thanks for the link WD
Old 05-16-2012, 05:50 AM

awsome! thats what i was lookin for thanks for the link WD
Did you end up doing this mod? Im in the process right now but need to know how people are getting the v pulley on the new alt. The hole is to small on the v pulley to fit on the new shaft all the way so it just sits on the tappering wich will not let it tighten down level. If you drill the pulley to fit over the bottom of the shaft then the pulley is not out away from the altenator enough to be in line with the belt. Are people using a bushing for back spacing? If so do you know the size?