General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS disable mod for 05+ Tacomas w/o VSC & Trac Control

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS disable mod for 05+ Tacomas w/o VSC & Trac Control

I've been trying to figure out how to do the ABS disable switch mod to my 2wd tacoma. My truck doesn't have VSC or Trac and all the threads I have seen show how to disable it on trucks with VSC and Trac. I have been studying these wire diagrams a little bit.
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/.../h/em01d23.pdf
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/.../h/em01d12.pdf
And to my understanding the brake light switch has to be closed in order for the ABS ECU to activate the ABS pump to prevent locking up the wheels? Is that correct? If it is then it would make sense just to interrupt the signal from the brake switch to the ABS ECU. Only problem is which wire is the signal from the switch to ECU to interrupt? The stop light diagram shows 2 wires going from the brake light switch to the ECU. Please help if you have any input. I really want to be able to disable the ABS when I go off-road with the flip of a switch. TIA

Also, I've been told that pulling the fuse or running a switch in line with the fuse is not the answer. Problems with blowing fuses and worst of all loosing power braking assist.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:12 AM

I'm an idiot, I was looking the brake light switch all wrong. In my truck (w/o VSC or TRAC) there is only one wire going to the ABS ECU from the brake switch. I didn't realize the asterisks in the top corner (*1: w/ VSC *2: w/o VSC). So my truck's schematic doesn't include the Stop LP CTRL Relay circuit. So I just need to confirm that interrupting the signal from the brake light switch to the ABS ECU with a switch will disable the ABS from kicking in when braking off-road and only the ABS (not power assist). Am I correct? I know there are quite a few us out there that would love to have this mod. Please any input is greatly appreciated. TIA
Old 02-17-2010, 03:44 AM

Forgot to mention power assist braking uses vacuum so I don't see how it would be affected. Thought I heard about someone loosing power assist trying out one of the methods for this mod.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:56 AM

Im not sure on the one you are working with just went through my 1990 with rear abs that was not working properly and could not get them working than figured that there is a fuse for the abs pull the fuse for the abs and not the brake light I also took the step of pulling the abs brain out that is above the glove box and now im back to 4 wheel brakes in my contol instead of two wheel brakes like I had hope this helps
Old 02-17-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by lonewolf379
Im not sure on the one you are working with just went through my 1990 with rear abs that was not working properly and could not get them working than figured that there is a fuse for the abs pull the fuse for the abs and not the brake light I also took the step of pulling the abs brain out that is above the glove box and now im back to 4 wheel brakes in my contol instead of two wheel brakes like I had hope this helps
Thanks for the input but that doesn't really help me out, sorry. Pulling a fuse is not option I am going with. And I'm definitely not pulling the ABS ECU out either. I want to do this clean and use a race covered toggle switch to one of the empty switch pods in my truck, giving me the ability to flip a switch when I get on the dirt or snow to disable the ABS and nothing else (brake lights...). ABS may help on the street but not on the dirt or snow, so I hear. I have a major feeling this is a lot simpler than it seems and am surprised it's not something everyone knows about yet. I know that with the VSC/ locking diff trucks they are just "bypassing" the signal to the ABS ECU to think its in 4 Lo and that only in 4 Lo the ABS is disabled, and still have full range of the trans. So I would think my truck(w/o VSC/locking diff) would be a lot simpler.....
Old 02-17-2010, 01:20 PM

yeah abs is deadly in the snow...