General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1986 PU 22R cutting out when warm

Old 05-09-2013, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 PU 22R cutting out when warm

I have searched through every title to see if there was anything close to what I am experiencing...nothing!
I think I might have two problems, so I will try to explain both.
Problem #1. My truck all of a sudden has become hard to start- I pulled off air intake cover and noticed when I rotate the accellerator pump linkage I don't hear or see any gas entering the chamber. Even when I rotate the throttle, I can't see or hear any gas being dumped into the chambers. The fuel bowl is full I can see that in the sight glass. Should I replace the carburater?
Problem #2. When I finally do get the truck running, it runs great until the engine gets up to operating temp, and then it feels like it cuts out. Can't tell if it is electrical or fuel? Friends say they think it is the igniter assembly, is that possible?? I checked my cap, rotor, plug wires, plugs...all look good. Even when I am driving down the road and I have a moderate load on the engine, it jerks violently and then smooths out again. Runs great at idle, but once I put a load on it it rocks pretty hard. Any ideas??
Old 05-09-2013, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First of all, I would check the AAP diaphragm. They have a tendency to leak. Pull the vacuum line off of it and see if there is fuel in the line. If thats ok then, 1 Non-working choke? 2 Possibly plugged up secondary jets, or a cracked plug, or leaking plug wire. Cracked plugs can be tough to see. Look for thin dark lines on the ceramic, and possibly burn marks in the plug wire boot
Old 05-09-2013, 08:42 PM

j2the-e,
Thanks for the reply. I did put a carb kit in the carburator last week and replaced the diaphram on the accellorator pump. Also, when I had it all apart I sprayed carb cleaner through all of the passages and everything was clear. I don't know why it is not picking up any gas through the diaphram. As far as the non-working choke, when it starts it stays on a high idle until it warms up and when I rev it up the idle falls. So I believe the electric choke is working fine. But I will tear it apart the carb again this weekend. Thanks again.. JD..
Old 05-09-2013, 08:53 PM

you say you dont hear gas pouring into the barrel when you turn the throttle try checking the accelerator pump diaphragm, they are usually prone to leaking as well this is different from the aap. and I'm also having a similar problem as you are, my truck will start up just fine and idle just fine but when it gets warm it just turns off, i have no problem starting it again after that and the problem will not occur again,
Old 05-10-2013, 05:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So has this problem been ongoing since before you had the carb apart?
On the hard starting issue, have you tried starting with starting fluid? If it fires right up, that would eliminate ignition, at least for that issue.
Does it misfire if you rev the engine in neutral, or only under load?
Before pulling the carb, I would carefully inspect cap, rotor, wires and plugs again.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:00 PM

I had the same cutting out problem under load. My fix was replacing the o2 sensor pulling the spark plugs cleaning them and re-gaping them to .040 it made a big difference in power and no more cutting out.