General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Which Yota to sell?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Which Yota to sell?

I Live in land-locked Fairbanks, Alaska. Its dry here. I got a job 400 miles away in Valdez, which is right by the ocean (and warmer! and more snow!) I can only take one of my Yotas. I cant decide which I want or should sell....

1.) '95 4Runner, 22re 5spd. Over 160K miles taking into account over-sized tires. Odometer reads 158,9xx. I have owned it since June 2009.

Name:  004-3.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  191.7 KB

I rebuilt the engine last August-September, about 8K miles, with new clutch kit, starter, alternator, radiator and hoses, using aftermarket, high quality internals from the machine shop that did the machining. Steel-backed T-chain guides. Head was cleaned and had a "go-over" by the machine shop. Driveline U-joints were replaced with high-quality by local drive-line specialty shop at this time as well.
Pacesetter header since 2010, and 2.25" pipe and new cat then as well; aftermarket muffler.
In February 2013 I replaced all BJs and tie-rods with OEM, had a local drive-train specialty shop replace the wheel bearings with high quality that they supply and ground the brake disks. Also replaced the pads with mid-level NAPA brand. I bought OEM LCA bushings around this time, but mine were still in good condition. New front Monroe shocks. New steering stabilizer. Alignment by Sears.
2" body lift and Warn manual hubs were already on vehicle at purchase. It currently has 33x12.5" Pro-comp MTRs with 75% tread and a full-size spare with 25% tread.
The exterior is in fair condition, one small dent on the driver's side door, barely noticeable. Barely noticeable scratches from off-road. Interior is in not as good of condition. The carpet in the cargo area was crap when I bought it, I had intentions of bed-linering it, but never have. There are some oil stains on the rear seats. Front 2 buckets are mis-matched, but same general color. All gauges and lights and everything work besides the oil pressure gauge which I accidently broke the wire while replacing the starter. 22re 5spd with manual windows and locks, rear heat, no A/C. factory 4.10 gears.
It has developed a slight oil and coolant leak I over the winter I cannot find.
Full synthetic drive-line fluids. Winterized for AK. Runs okay, starts great. There might be more...

2.) '00 Tundra 2uzfe automatic. Rolled, reconstructed title. Bought late Nov of 2011. Runs excellent, starts excellent except when ambient temp above ~70F, then it cranks for nearly 10 seconds and starts sluggishly. ~134K miles.
All the bells and whistles, but some dont work. SR5 TRD.

Name:  IMG_20130708_191920.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  119.5 KB

Building into an off-road truck. Over the course of my ownership I have replaced the front diff and drive-shaft; OEM power steering lines; OEM upper and lower ball joints and outer tie-rods; passenger wheel bearing with OEM, set-up by previously noted drive-line specialty shop; NAPA front brake pads and rotors, calipers rebuilt at the same time. Serpentine belt. NAPA remanned CV axles.
Recently I have taken off the bed, chopped the frame 8.5", built a flat bed. running 315/75R16 Cooper Disc. STTs with over 95% tread, and 1.25" wheel spacer adapters. All synthetic fluids, replaced over the winter.
ABS works but needs to be adjusted for 2"/2.5" lift. fuel gauge does not work. temp gauge does not work, but I know it isnt overheating.
Outside is beat-up, chopped, dented, whatever. Inside is clean minus the punctured seats (knife?), child took a marker to the steering wheel, drivers door is missing a lot of the skin inside. Horns are missing, as is the windshield washer reservoir. Clunks and squeaks going over bumps. Needs front shocks/struts. newish rear shocks.

The Tundra can haul a lot more than the 4Runner, but gets worse gas mileage, is ugly and rides rough. The 4Runner looks better, but would be a dog to haul a lot of my belongings 400 miles. I am going to a coastal town, so the Tundra is going to rust more than the 4Runner due to scratches and what not in the paint. I CAN leave some belongings with my roommate at my current house and pick them up later, but most I will need right away. Trailering isnt an option as neither of these are set up to tow. I cannot keep both vehicles. This is the issue

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 07-25-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
runner does look better. could also haul more stuff inside.
how bout installing a trailer hitch and renting a u-haul trailer?
Old 07-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I would go for the 4Runner. Seems to be in better shape and is one I would be more comfortable working on and would be how I made my decision. If you are comfortable working on the Tundra then it would be which is more useable at your new home site.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would take the runner. seems like a nicer looking, reliable vehicle for the move and while youre getting settled in. thats just my two cents.

on a side note... i was looking into moving to fairbanks. how do you like it there??
Old 07-25-2013, 04:06 PM

I'd definitely keep the 4runner.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd sell that Tundra ASAP.

You will fit in perfect in Valdez with a 4Runner.

My mom used to drive a Silver 1995 4Runner, and it was the best car we ever owned. They just don't quit. And while your Tundra is going to keep depreciating, if you keep the body of that Runner in good shape, it will start to gain value as you hang on to it.

Edit* FAIRBANKS!!!

Last edited by Smilemon; 07-25-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:30 PM

why not just tow the runner, the tundra has more than enough muscle to pull the runner, but if that isn't an option i would go ahead and keep the 4runner just a better truck all around.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doesnt matter,youll regret whichever you get rid of.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:08 PM

Really the only reason am considering the Tundra is for the ability to more easily haul stuff through the passes into Valdez.

Originally Posted by donomite49
runner does look better. could also haul more stuff inside.
how bout installing a trailer hitch and renting a u-haul trailer?
The Tundra has more usable space with the bed, even if its nearly 10" shorter and 16" narrower than the factory. Stuff can be stacked more.
Towing with the 4Runner isnt an option. Its a gutless pig. loaded with the stuff I need to take, it will probably barely get up some of the passes.

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I would go for the 4Runner. Seems to be in better shape and is one I would be more comfortable working on and would be how I made my decision. If you are comfortable working on the Tundra then it would be which is more useable at your new home site.
I could rebuild the engine in the Tundra right now if need be. Its not a matter of working on it. In fact, in my experience, the Tundra is EASIER to work on than my 4Runner.

Originally Posted by yota864x4
on a side note... i was looking into moving to fairbanks. how do you like it there??
Don't move here. Its miserably cold and dark. Its -50F in January and +80F in June. It literally made me depressed after living here for 2 years, and I've been here for 5 now. I FINALLY have a chance to get back out of Fairbanks.

Originally Posted by Smilemon
I'd sell that Tundra ASAP.

You will fit in perfect in Valdez with a 4Runner.

My mom used to drive a Silver 1995 4Runner, and it was the best car we ever owned. They just don't quit. And while your Tundra is going to keep depreciating, if you keep the body of that Runner in good shape, it will start to gain value as you hang on to it.

Edit* FAIRBANKS!!!
I love Valdez. I grew up closer to the ocean. I am more inclined to fairer weather conditions and I LOVE snow.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bullet22r
why not just tow the runner, the tundra has more than enough muscle to pull the runner, but if that isn't an option i would go ahead and keep the 4runner just a better truck all around.
Getting the 4Runner there wouldnt be a problem. My parents could drive it there if needed. Its more of I CANT keep it there once there, and slightly I COULD use the money to make the move a little easier.

Originally Posted by cman1
doesnt matter,youll regret whichever you get rid of.
Unfortunately this is very true. I love both of my trucks
Old 07-25-2013, 07:31 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
you never answered the question of what you will NEED in your new town. do you need a DD people hauler?? or something that will haul stuff?? answer that and you will have your answer of which vehicle to keep.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:45 PM

I really dont need a people hauler or a hauler of stuff. Both these rigs have about the same amount of passenger room. I dont need a pick-up for my job, nor do I need a people hauler for my job, both would be provided by the employer if the need for either of those were to arise while on the job. Outside of work, like I said, I cant foresee myself needed either more than the other.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:03 PM

And really, considering what this job is paying, within a year I would like to buy a 1st or 2nd gen Tacoma or a stock 1st gen Tundra.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:19 AM

In that case I would sell the 4 runner and keep the tundra. Better aftermarket support for the tundra and it should be easier to find parts for it compared to the older runner. and if you are looking to buy a newer Tacoma or tundra as a DD then live with your current Tundra for awhile until you can make that happen. Then you will your platform for a "dedicated off roader" as your signature states. And it will be a rig you already know about and have worked on. best of luck
Old 07-27-2013, 09:47 PM

I ended up selling the 4Runner. I posted it for sale on CL Friday night at like 9 pm, within the hour I had 3 texts about it. I sold it today at 4 pm for $2400. Not as much as I would have liked to get for it, but really its ok. I am moving on Tuesday and couldnt dink around. I took the first actual offer in cash. She will be missed, not forgotten, but will be replaced
Old 07-28-2013, 05:19 AM

best of luck to you in your new job
Old 08-14-2013, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907
I ended up selling the 4Runner. I posted it for sale on CL Friday night at like 9 pm, within the hour I had 3 texts about it. I sold it today at 4 pm for $2400. Not as much as I would have liked to get for it, but really its ok. I am moving on Tuesday and couldnt dink around. I took the first actual offer in cash. She will be missed, not forgotten, but will be replaced
to bad it already sold ill be in fairbanks middle of next month due to pcs the tundra looks more useful thats the one i would have kept to. If you dont mind me hijacking how is it up that way? what kind of wheeling y'all got mud or rocks a mix of both?any useful info on the area?
Old 04-09-2019, 06:41 AM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by noah oscar
i hope it sold out, just wanna say that i love this car, i really love to drive it on beach and desert. I mostly fulfill my desire by taking it on rent from car rental 8 coupons, its an easiest way to take your desirable car and enjoy life.

spammer spammer spammer
Old 04-09-2019, 12:56 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by millball
spammer spammer spammer
I reported it.
The following users liked this post:
millball (04-09-2019)