General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Is It Worth It??? Advice Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is It Worth It??? Advice Needed.

This is My first Toyota. It is worth getting fixed?

I picked up a decent in shape 1988 FJ62 188,198 Miles( 4.2 ). It was an hour away from house, Drove it home. It rode nice, shifted well, Motor runs good. But as soon as I parked it. Leaks started to happen. First started in the rear end ( where the drive shaft goes into ), Second ( there is one coming form the tranny ) and Third The Brakes,( a front brake line started to leak and leaked all out in under 2 hours, it seemed. ). Leaks are small drips, for now. Rear end doesn't seem to leak unless moving. The brake line is rusted out, I think.

Now I know this an older rig. I did my reaearch before I bought and found it to be dependable. It suppose to be for family use ( i'm expecting a baby ). Plus I like the older styles rather then the new, not to mention a budget.

The guy I bought it form used it strictly for travel for work. Not off roading. He kept all the service records since 1992, thats when he bought it.

I checked it throughly and before I bought it. I expected the usual rust for any car of that age. It seemed fine. The frame is rusty and solid. There was no leaks when I inspected it.

Sooo Thats I can think of. Is this really worth getting fix, or did I get shafted? Is this stuff normal for this FJ? What other things should I look at?

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited by Red88; 07-28-2008 at 04:28 AM.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What kinds of tools/experience do you have? It seems worth fixing if you are willing to work on it, otherwise it would be expected to have repairs needed it seems
Old 07-28-2008, 09:15 AM

got pics?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:21 AM

X2
Old 07-28-2008, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try Ih8mud.com....lots of FJs over there
Old 07-28-2008, 04:35 PM

Smile Thanks.

Originally Posted by wjwerdna
What kinds of tools/experience do you have? It seems worth fixing if you are willing to work on it, otherwise it would be expected to have repairs needed it seems
Originally Posted by Fasterthanthedevil
got pics?
Originally Posted by grovedogg
X2
Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
try Ih8mud.com....lots of FJs over there
Thanks for getting back to me Guys. I figure I'll take it the Dealership to get the brakes fixed. I hope I don't get screwed to bad. I'm pretty good on figuring the other stuff out that needs to be done. Brakes I don't do.
What happend was, I think the previous owner maybe? Undercoated the entire bottom, meaning everything ( Like the brake lines & even the e-brake linkage, which I don't think he used or could for that matter) So now it's flaked/flaking off, and Moisture is getting caught up under it. Which caused the brake line to rust through. So I don't think this is a normal occurance. Hoepfully by the end of the week, I be under there tapping all that undercoating off. So I can start on POR15ing the frame and underbody. (Thats what I would like to do, But we all know how that goes )

Where I was going with this was. I always like the Old FJ's. Now that I have one. I don't know what to expect, entirely. I know leaks and such are normal. But it was the brakes that really overwhelmed me, plus on top of personal things going on ( Not Bad stuff, just alot of things happenig at once, type deal) . It's enough to make one dizzy.

I will try and get a camera to some pics up.
Thanks again guys & Sorry about the rambling