General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

What yota has the best e-brake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What yota has the best e-brake?

I'm lookin for something to pull the boat with. The boat isn't heavy, 1500# max but the e-brake on my pickup does not inspire confidence. So I was wondering if all of the yota trucks and 4runners have the same style crappy e-brakes or not? Will any of them hold on a boat ramp?

Thanks guys
Old 12-31-2010, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
could pop it in 4low too but the e brake on my 4runner seems to work good
Old 12-31-2010, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why not just adjust/fix your e-brake so it works right?
Old 12-31-2010, 01:48 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by wd21_sr5
why not just adjust/fix your e-brake so it works right?
x2. I think it's time for you to change your rear drums and shoes before you kill someone on the road cus your back brakes don't work correctly.

There is no reason why you cannot hold your truck on a boat ramp or anything else with properly working brakes. Whether it be a 79 pickup or a 1995 pickup.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:59 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
what about a transfer case e-brake? 100% bolt-on and about an hour to install

it's on my list of mods...

edit: here's the link

Last edited by irab88; 12-31-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:40 PM

Elton, I totally have done that and use a wheel chock too. I left it in 1st HI for a while but one time it moved about a foot on it's own...... Not the best feeling.

wd21, I took the bellcranks out, lubed them and the self adjusters up and they hold a little. Not on a boat ramp with #1200 of boat.

xxx, there are multiple threads of how the e-brakes on 86-95's stink. It isn't just me.

Ira, I totally dig those. My '90 PU is not my ideal fishing vehicle though. And the wife's like go ahead and buy something.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Moonfish
...My '90 PU is not my ideal fishing vehicle though...
huh?

i fell in love with the t-case e-brake the first time is saw it
Old 12-31-2010, 03:49 PM

I don't know about you, but I can practically lock my rear brakes up pulling on my ebrake. If you cannot stop your truck using your ebrake then there is something wrong and it's not because they are problematic, bad design or just "stink".

The main problem is people do not know how to properly adjust the shoes, and adjust the cable for stretching, or the bell cranks just simply freeze up. (usually on auto trans trucks)

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 12-31-2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 03:59 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Are you talking about a boat ramp in the winter that is covered in ice and snow??

I don`t know who says these E-Brakes don`t hold yes they do have issues with the bell cranks freezing in the brackets from not being used .

Do you have any idea of the angle of the ramp?

All my Toyota 4x4 vehicles will hold another 5000 pound vehicle on a tow dolly on a 20% grade with no problem with just the E-Brake.

Now My E-Brakes for the most have been replaced with all new parts front to back with new shoes and drums. These vehicles were all 20 plus years things wear out.

I see no reason why they wouldn`t on a boat ramp.

Adjustment not correct?? Cable getting old and stretches after you pull it on Drums worn too much or a combination of all the above?

Old 12-31-2010, 04:04 PM

thank you for the confirmation wyoming9 at least I know I am not the only one who thinks these things should hold.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also agree that the brake should hold the truck. I had mine redone and I can barely move the truck with the engine when the e-brake is on.
Old 12-31-2010, 04:35 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Of course if the only if the only time you ever use the e-brake/parking brake is when your at the boat ramp it will seem lacking. The rear brakes are auto adjusted every time the brake is pulled.

The reason I think the e-brake sucks is only because I wheel and the brake drums pack full of mud. So not really just the e-brake but the whole drum design. Have replaced the rear shoe sevaral time simply due to mud and debris mixing it up. And I broke the cable playing in the snow.

Irab - if you've never run it how can you say it is so great. I've read both sides of it. So if you still have drums why go Tcase brake when there is so many other mods that will greatly improve the offroad capability. And if you have drums and a tcase brake the auto adjuster will never adjust your rear brakes so there performance will lessen with normal shoe ware and need to be adjusted from time to time.

Moonfish- you could also look into a line lock say put it on the front use the ebrake for the rear. If you cut the engine and leave it in gear, well probably the best stopped you can be. The electronic linelock will be a constant drain on the battery when engaged, so probably not a good idea to use it as a regular parking brake.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:18 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Depending on the boat, I wouldn't leave the braking duty to a... drum brake...

They're only the worlds worst type of brake....

Line lock it. Lock all 4. Not just one or two...
Old 12-31-2010, 11:41 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
2 hours, I have big hands.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My parking brake sucked until I greased up the frozen starwheels, brackets. I still need to tighten up the cable some more but I'm too lazy to get under the truck. Neighbors tell me I spend too much time tinkering around with my truck so now I work on it when I need to do couple things at once. Stick the truck in 4 low then intogear and be done with it. I've parked my truck on hills doing that with no parking brakes and it doesn't roll
Old 01-01-2011, 01:28 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Interesting it seems we have people on both sides of this question

I don`t have any mountains here in Pa just some little hills but to me using a vehicle it must have a working E-Brake and it gets used every time I park the vehicle.

If you are set in your ways then by all means go with the line locker and lock all 4 wheels that will keep the wheels from turning . But as stated you will need to keep your rear brakes adjusted up manual

Another option is to go the rear disc brake option with the transfer case E-Brake and the line lock set up but that seems a lot of work but if your paranoid that should help a great deal

Last edited by wyoming9; 01-01-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:05 AM

you don't need rear discs with the t-case e-brake. but if you do the rear disc swap anyway, then you'll probably need it.

muddpigg- i don't think i said it was "so great" , and i was just suggesting, since it hadn't been mentioned yet. i'm sure it'll be better than pulling the e-brake and waiting as the truck slides back a few feet

Last edited by irab88; 01-01-2011 at 05:14 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:19 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
so to those that have installed the TC mounted ebrake:
have you ever had to replace the pads? they look small like off a lawn mower..just curious about a replacement source.

I am doing rear disc soon and need to do an alternate ebrake. Doing the Eldorado Calipers with the ebrake mount is cost prohibitive. I have the sky's disc brake kit with Monte Carlo calipers sitting in a box..just need a proportioning valve and brake lines...

The sky's TC brake looks pretty good.

Line locks are nice but in some states it probably would not pass the safety inspection as they require a mechanical brake back up, hence the cables and other BS...
Old 01-01-2011, 07:38 AM

Guys, I'm not trying to be incompetent. I pulled the rear drums, greased up the little adjusters and freed up the bell cranks and oiled up that thing that splits the cable into two. I can pull the handle until it is very firm but it seems like there isn't that much friction. Now I'm at the point where I ask questions.

It's a bit different than parking on a hill. My boat motor is worth more than my truck is. I think I have enough gear that it's worth more than the truck and the DNR pulling your truck/trailer and maybe boat out of the water + pollution fines would probably cost more than the truck too. It would also be a long night if all if my gear just disappeared. So I'm asking questions.

How is the e-brake on 96-2000 4runner? On old tacos? On t100s?
Old 01-01-2011, 07:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
so to those that have installed the TC mounted ebrake:
have you ever had to replace the pads? they look small like off a lawn mower..just curious about a replacement source.

I am doing rear disc soon and need to do an alternate ebrake. Doing the Eldorado Calipers with the ebrake mount is cost prohibitive. I have the sky's disc brake kit with Monte Carlo calipers sitting in a box..just need a proportioning valve and brake lines...

The sky's TC brake looks pretty good.

Line locks are nice but in some states it probably would not pass the safety inspection as they require a mechanical brake back up, hence the cables and other BS...

i doubt youll have to replace the pads, aslong as your not pulling it while driving

ive seen someone say that they give off a bad drivetrain balance??

Quick Reply: What yota has the best e-brake?