General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

What year should I go with?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What year should I go with?

Right now I have a 1994 Toyota 4x4 with 300,000 miles and it is burning oil and missing on cyl. #3. Before I put any work/money into this I wold like some advice. I am fairly mechanically inclined, I can do just about anything but machine work and major body work.I am also a very simple guy, I am not impressed by horsepower, suspension articulation, heated leather seats, or cruise control. I want a simple 4x4 truck that looks nice, does 65 down the highway, hauls my me and my canoe anywhere I want to go, and is relatively comfortable oh and that I actually enjoy working on. I was talking with my wife last night about the costs of a new Toyota Truck. A 2017 Toyota 4wd costs about $30,000 for that much I told her I could replace every moving part on my 94 twice over. So I want a truck that I can keep till they take my drivers license away that does all the above things. I love the simplicity of the sold axle pre-fuel injection toyota's however the other day I had the opportunity to drive one. To tell you the truth my 94 drove like a Lexus compared to that thing. Now to be fair, it had a worn out 20R 4 speed bone stock everything except for a lift and massive super swampers so I know at this was not the way a typical pre-efi, IFS toyota would drive. So how does one drive? Is it worth dealing with the complex IFS and EFI for driveability? Should I go ahead and sink the money into my 94 or look for an earlier model? What would be the better year for my application.Oh and for reference, my last daily driver was a 1988 Suzuki Samurai I loved working on it drove it every day for 5 years, but I must be getting old because I was tired of the rough ride, the cold winters, a 55 mph top speed, and not being able to hear the radio.

Last edited by Bill Edgar; 09-27-2017 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:42 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
For better highway speeds and reliability, EFI and IFS are great. Repairing/rebuilding the engine and sticking with IFS is my recommendation.

If you want a front solid axle and EFI, 84-85 are the stock years. But a lot of people have done a solid axle swap, so there may be a few later years with a solid axle, as well. This is also a fairly common mod, well documented, and fairly cheap if you want to do it yourself (to your 94).
Old 09-27-2017, 06:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
If you need a smooth ride on less-than-perfect roads, you'll have to stick with IFS. I like my solid-axle '85, but I'm 33 and think it's fun to bounce down the roads. Honestly, my wife wishes it was less harsh and it's caused some grumpy moods for sure. But there's little you can do to make a solid-axle Toyota ride better without heavy fabrication (longer leafs with relocated spring perches are the popular choice). Running p-metric all-season tires with lower pressure helps, but then you lose toughness.

​​​​By contrast, our 10 year old Subaru rides like a dream. I had a friend in Asheville with an 87 4Runner that she called "the Cadillac" because it was so much smoother than mine.

Last edited by gsp4life; 09-27-2017 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 09-27-2017, 11:37 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

You don`t say where you live .

Then just How old are you??

There has to be someone close that has what ever year Truck you might want to test out

You know what you have now as a base!!

Get something new your starting at the ground floor

Do your Suspension Steering parts Brakes all around

Drop a 3.4 in and call it good
Old 09-27-2017, 12:47 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
If you just need a truck to do those basic things you mentioned I'd suggest a 1st gen Tacoma with the 3rz and 5spd.
I regularly drive my inlaws' 98 Tacoma single cab 4x4 3rz/5spd and that truck will run circles around my 93. It accelerates significantly faster AND has power to pass on the highway while getting at least 2-3mpg better fuel economy, the steering is super light and responsive in comparison, suspension is smoother too - other than that it's basically the same interior on the truck and I feel at-home like in my pre-tacoma. I do not however care for the 2nd gen Tacoma, my sister inlaw has an 05 and I hate driving in that thing - feels cheap with all the hollow plastic, the weird futuristic gauge cluster feels out of place, the dash is super tall making visibility out of the front sucky.
I like the 98 so much I told my inlaws that when it's time to sell a truck (they also have an 03 2wd), that I'd consider selling my 93 to get the 98. If it was a 2000-2004 it would be even better because for CA SMOG they just plug in the computer, no sniffer test. My 93 barely passes smog. The perfect Toyota pickup may be the 4dr 1st gen Tacoma - no wonder why those guys still want $13k for one with 250k on it!

Last edited by highonpottery; 09-27-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I Love my Tacoma But being able to build a New Frame is the only reason my 2000 is still on the Road .

If the OP lives where Winter is 65 Degrees instead of below Freezing with lots of Winter Chemicals .

This being the Main Reason I did not Say Tacoma
Old 09-28-2017, 01:59 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
+1 for IFS

Originally Posted by Bill Edgar
Right now I have a 1994 Toyota 4x4 ...
You never said what engine-transmission. If 22R-E, I say you keep it. Too many things to break on the new vehicles. Gas mileage has not improved (Friend's 2016 4Runner gets 17MPG )and too many things to go wrong. Another friend's 2017 Tacoma already had a recall for leaking differential.
Third-gen 4Runner / first-gen Tacoma has dangerous flaw (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/t...l#post52373063)