General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

What are the effects of RUST?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anyone here had their truck undercoated by a pro and know what the process involves/what compounds are used exactly?
thanks for chiming in, CoedNaked.
and yup, salt sucks. but whaddayagunnadoaboudit?
Old 03-05-2006, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by VA_Yotaman
Holy Cow!!! I knew you guys had some rust issues up North, but that is just unbelievable.

Hahaha! I had an '84 Xtra cab that looked just like that when i was done with it! drain holes in the frame clogged with rust and crap and that was the beginning of the end - cracked at the curve in the frame just in front of the rear wheel.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:05 AM

ahhh i'm scared for my truck. because i know my has rust problems now becaus ethe guy that sold it to me had undercoated the frame. so i though good it shouldn't be an issue, but what i didn't notice is that the frame had allready benn boxed with steel and that is being rusted through now. i wan t this truck to last so i wanna find a donor truck with a good frame.(and bed, and cab, and motor, and ...)
Old 03-08-2006, 09:18 AM

my method for preventing rust is not fixing that small oil leak its had all along. so far its working great!!
Old 03-09-2006, 12:49 PM
Contributing Member

its unbelievable, up here, the roads are so heavily salted that once the sun comes out and dries up the water, the road surface is white. our ever mindful gov't has mandated that the roads be free and clear of ice and snow. now, the highway trucks usually use a mixture of sand and salt but the municipal trucks are loaded up with that sparkling environmental nightmare. and they arent shy about spreading it EVERYWHERE!

just recently, they have tried using the liquid deicer and it seems to be a better alternative. personally, i would rather them spend the money on more trucks and drivers and spread sand for traction. i guess it boils down to economics in the long run.

iirc, alberta doesnt use salt, they plow and spread sand. mind you, when the temps get to -25>-40, salt doesnt work anyway. i believe they are able to use studs in their tires which, with the sand makes getting around a bit easier. ive never understood the idea of driving in the winter with roads that are completely bare.

its the winter time, get some good winter tires, slow down, give yourself more time and learn how to drive in the conditions!! sorry for the rant.

lee
Old 03-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

Exclamation

Be careful what you wish for, folks!

Here in Colorado, the Department of Tranportation has taken to using Magnisium Chloride liquid solution to keep the ice down on the roads. This s&%t is POSITIVELY EVIL!!

I'm very good aboout washing under my vehicles because of this crap, and even with that, I thought I was never going to get a couple of my wheels off my truck when I had to do a brake job last year! The corrosion that the Mag Chloride makes is different than salt, and it just loves to glue parts together.

The biggest PITA about this stuff is that you will wipe out your washer fluid on any trip, trying to keep your windshield clean. It also mucks ups your blade refills, and once you are out of washer fluid, you're screwed. Another thing that irritates the hell out of me about the Mag Chloride is the fact that it makes it a hell of a lot tougher to distinguish treated pavement versus actual ice.

I'd be much happier with sanding, and a really radical thought of making sure that your vehical is winter ready - including REAL snow tires (not those worthless all season doughnuts!) I remember a day when the Colorado State Patrol would actually check people's tires going into the mountains, and if you didn't have snow tires or chains, you got turned around! Now it's just a stinkin' free-for-all! :pat:
Old 03-09-2006, 06:34 PM

snow tires ar deffinitly good for snow but on ice your still screwed. and sometimes running with chains isn't and option. so people have to relize they take thier chances out there and they should only drive when they have to.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well "snow" (thinking you mean "winter") tires are proven to be MUCH better on ice than conventiall all season or non winter rated all terrains. So much so that they do the testing on skating rinks and what not. It's all because of the increased number of sipes, and sipe design, which usually gives a tire a winter rating or not.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:50 AM

oil oil and more oil.
when the dollar store has jumbo cans of cheap "penetrating oil" [the kind that stays oily] buy a case and soak every little crack you find.

take your air compressor and siphon spray gun and go to town with cheap $1 a quart motor oil. in the frame on the frame, everywhere UNDER the truck/car.

yes it makes dust stick... but a pressure washer blasts it all off and the oily CLEAN metal makes it even easier to PW off next time.

Up here in the north they love rock salt, so you have to learn to love oily undercariages.

lol
Old 03-14-2006, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think they spray Calcium Chloride here in MA. It is still nasty, tow places, AAA, etc, always have "tire hammers" with them because if you have to change a flat, the tire can be so rusted on that kicking it, jumping on it, throwing yourself into it, etc, will not remove it, only pounding on it with a big sledge will do the job.