General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Transmission Temperature Guage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Dale you've got the same Wideband AFR system I do! Sweet

Nice mounting location btw.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mastacox
For the most accurate reading, you need to install the temp sender in the line directly after the torque converter before going to the cooler. This is where the fluid will be hottest, and you will know if you are boiling your tranny. This is where many people recommend installing the temp sender for supercharged 3.4 applications.

Putting your temp gauge in your tranny pan will only tell you how "hot" the pan is, but you could still be boiling fluid coming out of the TC and not know it.

My .02
Totally Agree with you^^^
I placed my Sending unit In a Stainless T placed on the Hard Line coming right out of the Torque Converter!! I felt this was the Best place to mount it, seeing that the hottest Oil will be exiting the Converter, In the pan was not going to be Accurate enough for me.. (the cooled oil is returned back into the pan) But If you need i'll snap a shot of my set-up??

And I went the A-Pillar route>
Old 01-17-2007, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mastacox
Hey Dale you've got the same Wideband AFR system I do! Sweet

Nice mounting location btw.
Thanks yeah I like it there, I can see it and the road pretty much at the same time. That's important during WOT tuning runs.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:30 PM

I'm looking into a tranny temp gauge as well. My question is why do you want it in the line coming out of the torque converter? That seems like it would be excessively hot and skew your readings. I'd think you would want to know the temp of the fluid returning to the tranny to know how well your cooling system worked? Is my logic flawed here?

Also, I'm thinking I'm going to need 3 gauges. Tranny temp, AFR, and boost. I'd like all the gauges to match and the Autometer Sport Comp series appears to be a good match for my stock 2002 instrument cluster. I'll use the green bulb cover on the lights. I'm thinking of mounting the gauges in one of those DIN bezels above my stereo head unit. Anyone had success with that?

For the AFR gauge, it looks like the Innovate XD-16 is a nice unit, but it doesn't really match the Autometer gauges. Is the Autometer AFR gauge any good or should I just go with the Innovate unit with an LC-1?

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugede...id=3603&sid=15
Old 03-21-2007, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Speedy
I'm looking into a tranny temp gauge as well. My question is why do you want it in the line coming out of the torque converter? That seems like it would be excessively hot and skew your readings. I'd think you would want to know the temp of the fluid returning to the tranny to know how well your cooling system worked? Is my logic flawed here?

Also, I'm thinking I'm going to need 3 gauges. Tranny temp, AFR, and boost. I'd like all the gauges to match and the Autometer Sport Comp series appears to be a good match for my stock 2002 instrument cluster. I'll use the green bulb cover on the lights. I'm thinking of mounting the gauges in one of those DIN bezels above my stereo head unit. Anyone had success with that?

For the AFR gauge, it looks like the Innovate XD-16 is a nice unit, but it doesn't really match the Autometer gauges. Is the Autometer AFR gauge any good or should I just go with the Innovate unit with an LC-1?

http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugede...id=3603&sid=15
I think that's kind of like a "chicken and egg" type question. I'd rather know the hottest my ATF is getting so I know if its getting cooked. Do you want to monitor the temp of the tranny or how effective the tranny cooling system is working? In the long run if either one has a problem the temp will go up.

I don't know anything about the Autometer A/F ratio gauge but it looks alot like a copy of the XD-16.

Last edited by mt_goat; 03-21-2007 at 04:56 AM.
Old 03-21-2007, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I think that's kind of like a "chicken and egg" type question. I'd rather know the hottest my ATF is getting so I know if its getting cooked. Do you want to monitor the temp of the tranny or how effective the tranny cooling system is working? In the long run if either one has a problem the temp will go up.

I don't know anything about the Autometer A/F ratio gauge but it looks alot like a copy of the XD-16.
I thought it looked a lot like the XD-16 as well, and it's priced close to the same with the WB sniffer. I'm very anal and want the gauges to match so I figured this was a way to have them all the same. The XD-16 has a much larger bezel and I fear would look out of place with the other Autometer gauges. Here's Gadget's latest gauge setup, and notice how the XD-16 sticks out like a sore thumb. However, if it's really that much better I'd live with it looking different.

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...24&postcount=7
Old 03-21-2007, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Speedy
I thought it looked a lot like the XD-16 as well, and it's priced close to the same with the WB sniffer. I'm very anal and want the gauges to match so I figured this was a way to have them all the same. The XD-16 has a much larger bezel and I fear would look out of place with the other Autometer gauges. Here's Gadget's latest gauge setup, and notice how the XD-16 sticks out like a sore thumb. However, if it's really that much better I'd live with it looking different.

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...24&postcount=7
Boy you must really be picky to see faults with that beautiful setup. Let us know how it works for you if you get one.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

Mine is still in my garage....no time to install.