General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Tip on Hydro Assist Install / Bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tip on Hydro Assist Install / Bleeding

When researching hydro assist i noticed alot of guys mentioning how much of a pain in the ass it was to bleed their system after install was complete. My PSC kit instructions were not the best and did mention i think to cycle the steering after filling res, watch for foam then shut truck off and wait, then do it again till no bubbles were visible in reservoir. Be prepared to spend some time here.

I think the issue is that alot of guys dont think to bench bleeds the ram. Doing this will save you loads of time and bs. I had maybe a few seconds of air/noise and virtually no foaming or bubbles in fluid after doing this.

After the ram is welded in place, cycle the steering to the right or left completely. Then use clear vinyl hose from hardware store and run a 3ft length or so from each port on the ram and a small funnel on the end of each to make life easier. Zip tie the funnels up near the front bumper above the ram. Fill the tubing on the collapsed side of the ram with fluid, I recommend Royal Purple Max EZ. Now turn the steering (the trucks engine should not be running during this bleeding process) so that the ram is cycled in the other direction and drawing the fluid by vacuum from the hose Into the ram. Be sure to keep the tube full so you dont draw any air into the ram. When you reach the other side/full lock, remove the clear hose and install your high pressue line and connect it to the gear box. Now do the same thing for the other side of the ram. Realize that cycling the steering after the first side of the ram is full will force all the fluid back out of the ram and up the high pressue line so make sure its connected to something on the other end.

Now after connecting all lines fill reservoir and wait a bit. Cycle steering, still with truck off. It helps to jack the front end off the ground If you have not done this yet....fluid will flow down and fill pump, cooler and gear box. Keep adding fluid till reservoir stays full when cycling steering. Do not top off yet but keep the res full enough that it doesnt draw air down line feeding pump. After you think the system wont take anymore fluid, start the engine and cycle steering and keep an eye on the fluid level. Its Miller Time.

To get you in the ball park, my system used exactly five 12oz. bottles of RP Maz EZ. Which should be roughly the same for most front end hydro assist with cooler...Im guessing.

Im sure this may be general knowledge to some... This tip isnt for you.
Hope this helps the others. Good luck.

Last edited by Hammerhead 7; 07-24-2012 at 01:41 PM.