General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Regular Exterior Rain-X question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regular Exterior Rain-X question

Hey,
Thanksgiving is coming up and it will give me a chance to fix some things on my 4runner finally (did not see the sign to put my electric antenna down before going threw powerful car wash...SNAP! ) anyways.. among the things I need to fix I want to fix a misfiring water shooter thing (for the windshield). Anyone ever messed with those things? I just do not want to damage it more. Its like one of the holes is jammed or just not shooting out anything. Also just bought some new blades and have some rainx back home. Wondering if anyone put a couple squirts inside the washer fluid before. I know there is the actual stuff you can buy to go in there but wonder if the regular rainx will work also.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt it...it would probably take too much...a few squirts would be rather diluted....just buy the pink rain-x wiper fluid. it's not but a few cents more than any other and it works great. I've been using it for years.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:36 AM

my squiter on the left side of the hood just did the same thing...one of the holes would only squirt a tiny bit. just take a needle and CAREFULLY stick it into the squiter opening that is "clogged". i had to do this and then squirt the wipers, do this, squirt the wipers, etc. about 3 times. since then, no problems at all...
Old 11-12-2007, 09:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I agree with Bob. I've been using both the yellow (winter) and pink (summer) Rain-X for years and swear by the stuff. It usually takes about a jug or two to get a good coating, but well worth the couple extra bucks.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
needle works for me to unclog those things.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RobD
I agree with Bob. I've been using both the yellow (winter) and pink (summer) Rain-X for years and swear by the stuff. It usually takes about a jug or two to get a good coating, but well worth the couple extra bucks.
Yea, once you start using it, if you keep using it its like its always there. I can't stand driving in rain without rain-x on the windshield.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:59 PM

I have used the Rain-X washer fluid as well. I had Rain-X (the actual one u apply and buff off) on my last car. I was driving through all the tropical storms that his the gulf regions (alabama, texas, louisiana, etc) a few years back. It worked great until it started to wear off. I had patches where the water would "puddle" or just kinda linger on the windshield. Those patches rendered the wipers useless and caused them to skip and chatter. I stopped at walmart tried to remove it with rubbing alcohol etc. Nothing worked. I tried applying more, still nothing. So I drove 1300 miles in tropical storms looking through patches on the windshield lol

Last edited by 98runner210; 11-12-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:00 PM

forgot to say the pink rain-x rocks though
Old 11-15-2007, 06:36 AM

The needle thing worked, thanx! Does not spray out like the other ones but its a ton better then it was. Instead of a straight stream it kinda spreads out but has ok force. Anyways thanx for the advice. Im going to go pick some pink rainx up today! and I think its going to rain! WooT
Old 11-15-2007, 06:52 AM

i dont even have the windshield sprayers.... haha. believe it or not, someone stole one of them. i think one of them is still there, but its not hooked up. i removed the bottle for it too. never used it anyway. i think i may try to find some at the junkyard next time i go. are they really that helpful? my chevy didnt have em, and i didnt use em when i got the yota, though my mom did and they worked pretty good, pressure wise. i didnt notice a difference.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
i dont even have the windshield sprayers.... haha. believe it or not, someone stole one of them. i think one of them is still there, but its not hooked up. i removed the bottle for it too. never used it anyway. i think i may try to find some at the junkyard next time i go. are they really that helpful? my chevy didnt have em, and i didnt use em when i got the yota, though my mom did and they worked pretty good, pressure wise. i didnt notice a difference.
It's a night and day difference for me, treated vs. untreated....My GMC doesn't have sprayers, so it usually doesn't have rain-x on the windshield. I had almost forgotten how bad it could get.

To further explain how much better it is, I haven't used the high speed wiper setting on my treated windshield ever....I rarely use the slow. Even in extreme downpours i can see fine with an intermittent wipe.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:09 PM

Has anyone baught the "Glider" wipers from wallmart? I looked for the Rain-X wipers that look like the glide ones but could not find them.

The Glide wipers work great but are REALLY annoying when they skip on the way back down. Has anyone tried the rain-x brand and if so any skipping problems?

The rain-x additive washer fluid is great by the way.. thanx all
Old 02-08-2008, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

I prefer the regular blue windshield stuff and just applying Rain-X the old fashined way and it lasts several months and you get better coverage. I use my sprayers all the time so I gotta go cheaper but the Rain-X wiper fluid does work well.