General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Possible Brush Guard Ban (NY State)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 06:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I signed the petition, because I think the law is nothing but another step at attempting to gain more and more control over our lives. I live in Northern, Upstate NY, no where near New York City. I know of many, many people who have hit deer around here. Since my wife and I have been together (18 years), she has hit 2, the 1st of which demolished the front end of the car and windshield. The majority of roads in NY State are rural, yet we suffer at the hands of politicians for the actions of people living and driving in New York City. Why don't they just ban them in NYC like they did handguns?

I am also going to send an email to all the members of the Transportation Comittee, asking that they vote no on this bill. I urge you all to do the same, as well as sign the petition. As others have said, if it passes here, your state will soon follow.

Moderators - I think this thread should be made a Sticky in a few of the more popular forums.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bamachem
the petition is in OPPOSITION to the proposed law. the law wants to ban them, so the petition is in support of allowing the brush guards and bumpers to remail legal.

why would you NOT be in favor of the petition?
Because I am not as smart as I wish I was. I actually read it as if it was in support of the bill. Sorry guys.

I got all spun up about this and it made me even stupider(see what I mean) than normal.
Signing now.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember reading a while back in a Motor Trend that they were actually looking into building vehicles with "soft corners" in Europe, to minimize the injury when someone gets hit. There would be a hood height requirement, no brushguards, and these "soft" front ends so that when you hit someone it didn't injure them as much. Damn liberals. Lets ban anything that is not a geo metro with full pillow coverage so that we don't injure anyone or anything.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by CoedNaked
Surely if they will ban bull bars and brush guards for causing deaths or more death than neccessary, they should be looking at banning alcohol for all the accidents due to all the drivers who have killed while driving drunk.

This is rediculous!
As you've probably learned, however, that didn't work at all.

I think the banning of a single thing on a car is rediculous, but I can see the point. I would have to say that in a city environment, brush gaurds aren't really useful.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jimmeh
As you've probably learned, however, that didn't work at all.

I think the banning of a single thing on a car is rediculous, but I can see the point. I would have to say that in a city environment, brush gaurds aren't really useful.

But what if you live in the city for work, don't have the room to keep a trail rig because you rent, and wheel on the weekends. That is exactly how the president of ne4roc is setup. He has a TJM, is he supposed to take it off everyday?
Old 03-30-2006, 07:38 AM

As I said, I think it is rediculous, but I can see the point of it in a city type area. I am not saying I agree with it, in fact, I signed the petition against it, I can just see the point of the other side.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought it was pretty hilarious when I read that Subaru had designed the nose of the Impreza WRX STI (300 hp) to minimize injury to pedestrians.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:15 AM
Contributing Member

I can't believe that there are only 65 signatures on the petition. I thought everyone would realize that, if this passes, it sets the precedent for your state to be next! And it will pass if we don't do anything about it!
Old 04-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
this bill is wee-todd-did.... i signed the petition
Old 01-16-2007, 02:31 PM

ITS NEW YORK!What do you really expect!

"No offense to those who reside there!"

Last edited by Twentally Misted; 01-16-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Twentally Misted
ITS NEW YORK!What do you really expect!
It's also almost a YEAR OLD
Old 01-16-2007, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jovis

I am also going to send an email to all the members of the Transportation Comittee, asking that they vote no on this bill. I urge you all to do the same, as well as sign the petition. As others have said, if it passes here, your state will soon follow.

Moderators - I think this thread should be made a Sticky in a few of the more popular forums.
How about posting the email adresses of the tranportation commitee? so we can all send them PROFESSIONAL letters, no angry stupid threats here boys.

did it pass?
since its a year old and all!
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
It's also almost a YEAR OLD
So it is... Nevermind...I'm out. lol.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

I can see it coming... airbags on the front end for errant jaywalkers. Triggered by proximity detectors and speed calculations. $1000 per vehicle.

But I must admit, the old RR lady would gut a pedestrian in a very ugly fashion.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Intrepid
...Damn liberals. Lets ban anything that is not a geo metro with full pillow coverage so that we don't injure anyone or anything.
Exactly. This is completely ridiculous
Old 01-16-2007, 03:06 PM

As a lesson for the Google challenged...

this got me the email addresses from here.

Then figurin' that those email addresses probably went to a website, I found this: http://assembly.state.ny.us/

But, alas... it looks like the only thing kept online ar bills from the current calendar year. Wandering the 'Net for while pointed me to Westlaw and Lexis (ref: http://www.lexisnexis.com/infopro/zi...sp.aspx?z=1764) but both of those dear folks want MONEY to do a search. This is where I'd launch into a tirade about the Freedom Of Information Act, but that'd be out of character for me so I won't.

There's a start... You're looking for New York Legislature Bill # A.B. 10116
Old 01-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

I can see where they are coming from in the perspective of wanting airbag friendly bumpers like ARB has to offer. But I also think they need to do more research. I also think that retailers need to tell the 90% of idiot streetqueen owning consumers that get these without ever thinking about airbag compatibility... Hopefully they'll water the bill down to just having several disclaimers from manufacturers saying particular models aren't airbag compatible.