General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Por15 (How does it hold up long term?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 11:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Por15 (How does it hold up long term?)

So I've done some searching on Por15 and pretty much all the threads I read are written by people who "just" used it on their rig and say it's great. The thing is anything will look good when first applied.

Looking for some feedback from people who have used it and can report on how well it performed over 4-5 years? Anyone have some feedback on how it held up in a state with high road salt? Did it actually slow down or keep the rust from spreading?

Looking to start another build and need some constructive feedback from people who used it and can give some long term feedback.

Stripped my last rig for media blasting and it's just to much work...
Old 10-11-2011, 12:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i haven't used it, but i have found some good home-brew comparisons from other people online. if you haven't already, keep searching for stuff like "por 15 vs. rustbullet" and similar.

one guy's site had some pieces of metal he really put through some testing, with good pictures. iirc he preferred the rustbullet. but i think they all work well, as long as you prep the surface well in advance, which is really critical of any finish treatment. i've read that the por-15 requires some sort of top coat because it's not UV resistant, so bear that in mind too.

hopefully others can give you some hands-on feedback, but in the meantime, thought i'd mention i've seen some interesting comparison stuff online from people, not just the manufacturers.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I've used it for years on my 4Runner. If you follow the instructions to the letter it works great. Keys are to use the metal etch stuff (or phosphoric acid etch) on the bare steel which will leave an iron phosphate coating. Then prime over that etched steel (don't remove the rust-looking coating the etch leaves) and then top coat over the primer either just before it dries (usually within 4 hrs) or let it fully cure then sand (or use Tie Coat) and then top coat with at least 2 coats.

Advantages over other paints I have used is that the paint is very tough, yet not brittle. Typical enamels will chip off the steel if hit my a stone, the POR-15 does not chip off like that. I put POR-15 on my rear bumper and tire carrier and you can take a hammer to that steel and not even leave a mark on the paint. On that application, I actually left the bare steel to rust for a year or so before I wire brushed and primed it. That POR-15 primer soaked in like a sponge, but it made for a really rugged paint job.

And if you scrape it over a rock, like on sliders or an axle, yes, the POR-15 will scratch down to bare steel. And that exposed steel in the scratch will rust, but that is it. Rust does not continue under the paint and bubble up around the scratch. So if you can touch up any scratches within a year or two, that is fine. I have had powder coated parts get a little scratch and all of a sudden huge areas of coating bubble up and peel off.

Granted, I don't live in an area with salt on the roads, so can't talk to that aspect.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 10-11-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:14 PM

Received 275 Likes on 186 Posts
I love it .. I have used it many, many times . from complete frames , to 1/2 frames to suspension components . as above , if you follow the instructions , you should have no problems , but dont cut corners ..

I had some left over from my trekker build frame .. and I went out into my parking lot and decided to "try" it on my rear bumper on my dd .. rusted and dirty (I didnt even wash it or anything) it is still holding .. although UV faded , it is holding VERY excellent .. 3 years now ..I have been meaning to "snap" a pic .. but just keep forgetting

Last edited by slacker; 10-11-2011 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did some Por15 coating today and did some last week on the suspension and the frame forward towards bumper.

For what it costs it should be renamed rich15 :}LOL

Buying just a small can is $30 bucks will make you por2 :}LOL

It is the best, so I bought some!!!!

Name:  93LousivilleToyota10-11-20115.jpg
Views: 1527
Size:  50.7 KB
Old 10-28-2011, 02:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I've had it on my CJ2A frame for over 3 years. Exposed to winter, sunlight, heat, and moisture. It's still there. Faded a little this year, so i topcoated it with rustoleum lol.

I have some on the rear bumper of my pickup without a topcoat and it's flaked off pretty well.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You need a top coat over the POR15 primer if it is exposed to sun light as it is not UV stable.