General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

The NO oil change oil filter...??

Old 06-07-2009, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The NO oil change oil filter...??

I just ran into this guy at the local Napa Auto Parts about an hour ago, he noticed the appearance of my 91' 4Runner so he thought I might be interested in what he sells since he said " I know a person who love's their car....they keep it clean". I was thinking Oh great...here's 10 minutes I have to spend to listening to a salesman...

He was so excited to show me his Oil Filter set-up. It's amazing that I never ran across this brand with all my years surfing the web, Yotatech, mechanic friends, etc, etc...and that he claims it's the best, it's been around since the 60's.

FRANTZ miracle oil cleaners.

He claims I would never have to change my oil again, EVER (the term "PC load letter" was playing in my head). That's how good the filter is. It get's even better. The filter element is available everywhere. It's good ol TP....TOILET PAPER.

I'm thinking 2-ply offers better filtration? Where can I get some Charmin decals to dress up my truck?? This gives new meaning to TRD...Toilet Paper Racing Development...Hawaiian Edition, the perfect decal for me since I'm from HI

I just spent a few minutes online looking this stuff up. Looks like some people swear by it. He claimed that he got his oil analyzed after a year and that it was analytically clean. He claims to use only Valvoline conventional and his truck has 240k on it. He's been running the setup for awhile now. He said his oil has 15k on it, pulled the dipstick out to show me, looked fairly clean. He aslo said that the TP filters down to 1/10 of one micron.

Of course on the other side of the engine bay was the very popular and highly debated Hydrogen Generator setup, the first time I have seen one now in someone's vehicle. Of course he feels that the generator works too. He claims 1-2 extra miles to the gallon. My MSD has got him beat on that.

I would think that shoving oil through TP would take a tremendous amount of pressure. Could the TP dissolve and it's particles be introduced into the engine? Could I have my engine smelling sweeter with scented rolls?

Does it work??? I wasn't in the mood for an argument so I nodded at everything he said.

His name is Bob, seemed like a nice guy. He say's I could have a Frantz Filter set-up for $200 plus the cost of a roll of TP. But right now I think I'll spend my $200 on some ball joint spacers and some rear poly coil spring spacers, I've been wanting these for a long time now.

Check it out if you have time to kill and want to either laugh or order...
http://www.wefilterit.com/index.htm

http://www.frantzfilters.com.au/Fran...cleaner_se.htm

Personally If I installed a secondary filter set-up for super clean filtration it would most likely be this one, I have no reason to doubt this company...
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx
Old 06-07-2009, 12:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I guess you could always pull your filter if you gotta take a dump on the trail.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:59 PM

Ho braddah, sounds like a true 808 style invention right there. "Bugga, you jus get da papa towel, twis em up la dis, stick em in, and bulie, no need change em no more ah!" I can see my buddy back in kailua with a budweiser in his hand telling me this one!!
Old 06-07-2009, 01:01 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I had a neighbor that told me his grandfather would use toilet paper as an oil filter , I brushed it off ,like Yea OK Whatever . Its weird to see he wasnt bull @@@@@@@ Me . I guess there are people that use it.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
I guess you could always pull your filter if you gotta take a dump on the trail.
Ohhh that's funny!!

Originally Posted by poolskaterpt
Ho braddah, sounds like a true 808 style invention right there. "Bugga, you jus get da papa towel, twis em up la dis, stick em in, and bulie, no need change em no more ah!" I can see my buddy back in kailua with a budweiser in his hand telling me this one!!
You sure Kailua?? Sounds mo like Waimanalo ahh??
Old 06-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Tell ya what. Take a few sheets of TP, soak it in oil, and see what it does.

And if you still believe this joker, I have a bridge I would like to sell you.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
if TP falls apart just SITTING in water, what is it going to do with a 40psi+ flow of 30w through it

I call B.S.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
holy ur serious....i thought you were kidding when you said TP but its seriously toilet paper in a can.......wow, i can understand maybe another filter that does the same thing but not with TP!!

Last edited by DeathCougar; 06-07-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: that language is not acceptable
Old 06-07-2009, 01:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
if TP falls apart just SITTING in water, what is it going to do with a 40psi+ flow of 30w through it

I call B.S.
it says its a bypass filter only a partial amount of oil goes threw it not the full flow...but i still say its BS
Old 06-07-2009, 01:44 PM

Hey Hilux, he's originally from Kahalu, then Nalo, then kailua. So just upgrading when possible i guess. He's da spearfish masta tho.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:45 PM

Im gonna soak some tp in some used oil i have. TP is designed to breakdown in water meaning it reacts to polar molecules, such as water. Oil is a non polar molecule which is which it does not react (mix) with water. Heck, it cannot be any worse than a FRAM right?
Old 06-07-2009, 01:48 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Taken from the web site.

Have you ever accidentally dropped a roll of toilet paper into the toilet? Perhaps your youngster did it for you. Did it dissolve? Of course not. The paper has a tendency to cling to itself and doesn't even unwind easily. That same characteristic occurs only even more so when dealing with oil.

http://www.frantzoil.com/TOILETPAPER.html
Old 06-07-2009, 01:52 PM

yeah, now try pushing fluid through that clumped roll of TP.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Actually, I've seen quite a few of these TP filters, and everyone I've seen swears by them. I honestly think they work very well as a filter. I just never got around to trying it.

google "bypass oil filter"
Old 06-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
This is a proper oil-bypass filter: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx

A roll of TP jammed into a canister is not.

Would you like that bridge Golden, or Galloping?
Old 06-07-2009, 03:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Doesn't oil chemically break down because of the friction and intense heat in the engine? How would this keep the oil from breaking down?
Old 06-07-2009, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LOL wow...tp?

I think im gonna get a can, put some tp in it, then write "oil filter" on it.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm that guy sounds like a tool
Old 06-07-2009, 04:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DupermanDave
Doesn't oil chemically break down because of the friction and intense heat in the engine? How would this keep the oil from breaking down?
Cause the particles of tp in the oil make it stronger than ever, u can actually put a roll of t.p. in a can of nasty oil, and in 2hrs... voila...clean as mobil 1....lol
Old 06-07-2009, 05:37 PM

I have a friend that has a 1950 chevy Belair thats all bone stock. his oil filter is a cartridge that you put TP in. he changes his oil every year and it always looks clean as the day he put it in. of course the chevy only sees 10,000 a year at the most. last year it only did 6,000. either way it has 150,000 or so miles on it and it has always been filtered with TP. next time I go out to his house I'll take some pics. it even has a pic on the side of the canister of TP. in the manual it says to take TP and unroll it till it fits and then pull out the cardboard center and install.....You don't believe me? Go talk to your Grandfather and Great grandfathers they can confirm it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The NO oil change oil filter...??