General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

New junkyard gas tank, any cleaning suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question New junkyard gas tank, any cleaning suggestions?

After a couple months of fighting with a leaking gas tank (the epoxy hasn't seemed to work too well) I'm going to the junkyard today to get a "new" gas tank.

Since my 4Runner is a '91 the newest tank I'll be able to find will still be 11 years old ('95), I'm sure there will be plenty of junk that's settled over the years needing to be cleaned out.

Aside from just hosing it out with water, are their any chemical cleaners you guys would reccomend? I've thought about spraying some engine degreaser in there, letting it sit then rinse it out with water, but not sure if that'll pose any problems further into the fuel system if I don't get everything out. Or pour some Seafoam into the tank, let it sit for a couple hours (or next day) then washing it out.

I'm open to any and all reccomendations as I haven't found any other posts in regards to cleaning the tank with it out of the vehichle and separated from the fuel system.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2006, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
try gasoline, its an excellent solvent. i looked into my 22 year old gas tank last weekend trying to troubleshoot another issue, and i was astounded as to how clean everything was in there! i couldnt believe the thing was 22 years old, it looked like it had just come off the lot inside, the pump and all.

btw, obviously be careful using gasoline around flames or sparks, get proper ventilation. i would pour some in and shake it around for a while, see what comes out and repeat if necessary.