General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

A little Oil Filter Tech!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As tight as a virgins daughter?

Not sure I buy into this bigger is better. The oil has still got to go through the same size "pores" in the filter medium. The only advantages are that the filter may be a little less restrictive and that you would have to replace it less often. Unless your oil pump is shot, you're still going to be sucking the same volume of oil each rotation of the pump because oil has a fixed volume (whereas air in your intake has less of a fixed volume and can be "stretched" under vacuum). The only advantage of less pumping loss, but I'm certain changing between filter size will result in a difference in pumping loss much too small to measure, let alone feel.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16

Not sure I buy into this bigger is better. The oil has still got to go through the same size "pores" in the filter medium. The only advantages are that the filter may be a little less restrictive and that you would have to replace it less often. Unless your oil pump is shot, you're still going to be sucking the same volume of oil each rotation of the pump because oil has a fixed volume (whereas air in your intake has less of a fixed volume and can be "stretched" under vacuum). The only advantage of less pumping loss, but I'm certain changing between filter size will result in a difference in pumping loss much too small to measure, let alone feel.
Good point.

I'm using the larger one simply because it cost the same as the smaller one at my dealer so I figure why not?
Old 05-13-2009, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16

The main benefit of the larger filter, assuming it will fit, and also assuming they both use the same type of filter media, would be that there should be more filter media surface area in it. So, IMHO, it should be able to retain more filtered debris because of the larger surface area. Or, if you change filters on a specific schedule, the amount of debris would be spread over a larger area, and possibly be less restrictive fo oil flow through it.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by yotaman
Here's an article with cut up Toyota filters.
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/par...ers/index.html

Here's another study, this one done by the Milwaukee School of Engineering - not Toyota specific, but good info when choosing between the different brands

MSoE Engine Oil filter Study
Old 05-15-2009, 12:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a little lube tech trivia here...

Those 1 qt filters that the old fords use.... usually a #1 in filter manufacturer numbers, will fit nicely on the 22r/e motors.

It will also work on the 4.7 v8s.

wont work on any of the v6 motors purely due to clearance issues.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I figured, its the same price as the stock filter (Had the stock filter pt # on my recept). I run my amsoil for 8,000km before I change, so its just added insurance.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:53 AM

jUST PURCHASED THIS FILTER ARE THEY BETTER 90915-yzzg1 FOR MY 85 EFI WILL IT WORK BETTER THAN THE FRAM ?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 PM

A lot of info and opinions about oil filters on this thread here:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...filter-190242/