General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

just bought a 1985 honda accord, need a little advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just bought a 1985 honda accord, need a little advice

okay, just bought it from my friend in san diego. when i go down there on friday(yes im moving back down YAY!!!) im going to start working on it. it hasnt run in about 4 years, but ran when it was parked. got a couple questions for anyone who cares to answer
1. it has gas in it, and i know im going to have to drain the tank. now my question is, should i have to drop the tank and have it cleaned?
2. 4 vacuum lines going to the carburetor are eaten through by rodents. how much of a PITA am i looking at on replacing them? (the carburetor has at least 20 vacuum lines on it, YIKES!)
3. i am going to put oil directly in the cylinders to get everything moving freely again. how much should i put in, and how often?
4. the car had a problem with idling when it did run. think maybe its a carburetor mis adjustment? what am i looking at here?
5. and last but not least. should i replace the brakes, or just inspect them? i think its got good brakes, i just dont know if brakes go 'bad' or not.
lets see how much people here know about hondas. (btw got about 25 to the gallon when it ran)
Old 03-31-2008, 07:54 PM

bumpity bump bump?
Old 03-31-2008, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. You should be able to pull the fuel pump from in the cabin. You can inspect the tank and pump it out from there. I would not try to use the tank drain plug, if equiped.
2. Honda carbs terrify me. If you can just replace each line and cross your fingers... If not you'll need a diagram.
3. Every time I have seen this done they have used an ounce or two (enough to cover the entire top of the piston), waited for a little while (1/2 hour or so to let the oil try to pass the rings) and cranked the engine by turing the crank pully with a breaker bar. If all of the oil passes the rings while you are waiting, you may add a little more for the cylinder walls before your first crank.
4. Again, Honda carbs terrify me. Sorry I can't be more help.
5. I would inspect them. Make sure the wheels spin freely, e-brake is not seized, etc. If you get it running you can test them. If anything feels funny change them.

Good luck.

On a side note: A little 88 Accord hatch (that came with my wife, a package deal) changed my opinion on import cars forever. Not counting oil, gas and tires, we spent $550 to maintain the car over the 5 years we owned it. How can you beat that?!??!

Last edited by element; 03-31-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:44 PM

its a sedan. so i can get access from the cabin huh? that would be a lot easier than stickin a hose down the gas fill hole and suckin the gas with a fluid evacuator. honda carbs have lots of vacuum lines, which is why they terrify you, correct? i know about crankin it with a breaker bar, i was going to do that anyway. i should probably use standard 10w-30 oil? or something thinner?
Old 03-31-2008, 09:05 PM

oh crap... i just looked at a vacuum diagram on autozone.com for the vacuum line routing for the carburetor... scared me just lookin at it... i guess you're right for being terrified of honda carburetors, element. LOL
Old 03-31-2008, 09:10 PM

I think access to the pump is under the back seat or just behind it's upright. You may want to peak in chiltons/haynes at Borders to be sure. Vacuum lines and lots of needle screws on the 88 that I had. Nothing like a Holley carb (from the previously mentioned GM town! ).

I'd go as thin as possible. You just want to get by the rings and lube the cylinder walls. Heat won't be a factor. I had a friend that used 20 weight on an old motorcycle that sat for a couple years.

I assume after you get it free you'll change the filter and drain & add new oil. I ran 5w-30 in the 88.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:24 PM

I forgot about AZ.com. I'm sure the fuel pump location is there too.

I'll bet those carbs arn't bad after the 4th or 5th one... It's just that first one...
Old 03-31-2008, 09:37 PM

haha yeah. yeah i plan on changin the filter and oil, plannin to use 10w30. or 5w20, if it calls for it. plan on changin the air filter, fuel filter, etc. maybe the fuel pump, dunno.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope you realize how difficult it is to make a high mileage carbureted honda pass smog...esp in CA.

But since you've already bought it, have fun with those vacuum lines, and get a butane/propane torch, or some starter fluid, or carb cleaner, so you can find any leaks, if that's what you're after.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by stormin94
I hope you realize how difficult it is to make a high mileage carbureted honda pass smog...esp in CA.

But since you've already bought it, have fun with those vacuum lines, and get a butane/propane torch, or some starter fluid, or carb cleaner, so you can find any leaks, if that's what you're after.
bought it for 100 bucks, so what can i say. and its low mileage. and im from ca, so i know bout smog, lol.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
bought it for 100 bucks, so what can i say. and its low mileage. and im from ca, so i know bout smog, lol.
$100??? Well, the price was right.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:12 PM

exactly
Old 04-01-2008, 04:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im getting 300-400 bucks for a car in scrap metal up here
Old 04-01-2008, 07:25 AM

This is the TOYOTA tech section...just FYI
Old 04-01-2008, 05:45 PM

this section is 'general vehicle related topics'. says nothing about toyota in the forum. so anything goes. lol
Old 04-01-2008, 06:53 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
when exactly are you moving back to san diego ??
ill be moving back sometime during the end of july
somewhere between SD and hemmet
talkin bout it !!
my dad, whos lived in cali all his life, said if it takes more the 300 bucks to fix whatevers making your car not pass they give you a waiver or something.
who knows if thats true
but as soon as i get back out there we should plan something
Old 04-01-2008, 07:56 PM

my last day in vegas will be this thursday, the 3rd. leaving on friday about 9am. yeah ive heard about the waiver, they'll either(at their descretion, or so i heard) give you a waiver saying smog exempt, or they'll 'retire' the car and give you money for another vehicle. and i know theres a way to make the state pay for smog repairs, but im not sure how. yeah when you get back let me know, i got something to work out with my 4x4 system, i think i have a bad hub spindle or something, but the clutch is my first priority. and hell by july i should have my own place. honestly tho i dont think there will be a problem with getting it to pass smog, just put on some new vacuum lines, adjust the carburetor correctly, and run some seafoam through the vacuum lines, it should pass fine.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
this section is 'general vehicle related topics'. says nothing about toyota in the forum. so anything goes. lol
Read the forum description on the main page brotha

"If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic"

Anyways. The motor is seized? Have you tried turning it over by hand yet?
Old 04-02-2008, 06:59 PM

oops, sorry mods. i dont think the motor is seized, im not even in san diego yet. will be on friday, and im gonna put some oil in the cylinders to lube up the cylinder walls, and if its locked up, then im prob just gonna pop a used engine in it or something
Old 04-07-2008, 04:53 PM

okay, replaced some vacuum lines on it, and cranked it over by hand. cranked fine. put a battery in and it cranked normally. all the electrical works fine. just need to put spark plugs in and shes set.

Quick Reply: just bought a 1985 honda accord, need a little advice