General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Engine won't heat up

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 06:04 PM

Received 831 Likes on 556 Posts
I see a "0.9" on the right wing of the cap. That is the rating and the OEM spec.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Right, they both say .9 which I jut found out is .9 bar or about 13psi.

So they're both rated for the same pressure, but not sure why the new one is shorter. I'll try it on there and see if it leaks I guess. New one on the left.

I got my pressure tester and I'm out now testing. I have it up to 14psi and the needle doesn't seem to be moving. Actually it did seem to drop about .25psi while I'm putting tools away and writing this up. But this is a cheap tester and if I wiggle the connection all pressure leaks out. Could be that, but hard to say. Maybe I'm trying to convince myself I'm leak free. I don't see any drips and I removed each spark plug and oil cap and no sudden drop in pressure.

I think I'll just drive it as is and keep an eye on the level. Anything else I should do? Tell me if I'm missing anything or if I sound like I'm trying to rush this.

Thanks a lot for the help so far!
Old 08-13-2018, 04:03 AM

Hi everyone, just wanting to revisit this thread since winter last year. Heat is good but I’m still loosing coolant at a rate about 1/2 cup a week. But seems to be less in the summer. I finally got a hydrocarbon tester and found no exhaust gasses in the coolant, pretty happy about that. I let this thing bubble for like 5 minutes with the engine at operating temperature, not even a slight change in color.

I want to pressure test the system again but this time on a hot motor. Last year I tested with no drop in pressure but the engine was cold. Can I drain some coolant, run the motor until it’s up to temp, put back the drained coolant and then pressure test on the hot motor?

I did did notice some drips inside the cabin on the passenger side carpet, but it’s pure water (no coolant taste) and clear, not red. Seems to be coming from a seam in the blower motor. The seam where that bottom part screws to the bigger part...if you zoom in you can see wetness. It has been raining a lot the past couple weeks.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by Davebarbier; 08-13-2018 at 04:05 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Maybe check the overflow tank or hose for a leak.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
Maybe check the overflow tank or hose for a leak.
I’ve inspected all hoses I can see in the engine bay but I’m not against looking again...but never thought about the overflow tank having a leak. I’ll check that out, thanks Wolves.

If a hose is leaking I should see some white residue around it, right?
Old 08-13-2018, 10:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Davebarbier
I’ve inspected all hoses I can see in the engine bay but I’m not against looking again...but never thought about the overflow tank having a leak. I’ll check that out, thanks Wolves.

If a hose is leaking I should see some white residue around it, right?

My comment specifically referred to the hose going to the overflow - it is not under the pressure the rad etc is, so it would not show on the pressure test.

If a hose is leaking you are likely to see the color of the coolant. If it is dried up I guess it could be white.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf

My comment specifically referred to the hose going to the overflow - it is not under the pressure the rad etc is, so it would not show on the pressure test.

If a hose is leaking you are likely to see the color of the coolant. If it is dried up I guess it could be white.
Oh, gotcha. Thanks