General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

drop ballmount hitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drop ballmount hitch

I am moving back to Atlanta in about a week and stopped by uhaul today to reserve my trailer. i had a buddy hold the trailer level and i measure from the ground to the bottom of the hitch (where the base of the ball would be). I then measured from the ground by my truck to the base of the ball (on the factory ballmount) and found it to be 6.5" difference. my question is...is the factory ballmount a 2" drop like i think i hear or is that considered 0 inches? if it is a 2" drop, do I need to get an 8" drop ballmount to level the trailer? i'll also be carrying 4 33" wheels and tires in the bed during towing along with other small items. how much do you think itd drop my hitch given that im running 63" chevys in the rear? thanks!
Old 08-05-2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
I am moving back to Atlanta in about a week and stopped by uhaul today to reserve my trailer. i had a buddy hold the trailer level and i measure from the ground to the bottom of the hitch (where the base of the ball would be). I then measured from the ground by my truck to the base of the ball (on the factory ballmount) and found it to be 6.5" difference. my question is...is the factory ballmount a 2" drop like i think i hear or is that considered 0 inches? if it is a 2" drop, do I need to get an 8" drop ballmount to level the trailer? i'll also be carrying 4 33" wheels and tires in the bed during towing along with other small items. how much do you think itd drop my hitch given that im running 63" chevys in the rear? thanks!
I believe the amount of drop on a ballmount is measured from the top edge of the ball mount tube to the top edge of the ball mounting surface. That would make the amount of drop on the factory ballmount I got with my '03 to be 2". From the sound of it, yours is also a 2" drop. From past experience, most U-haul trailers tend to have low hitch heights to accomodate passenger car bumper heights. If you measured the hitch height correctly, you would need an 8" drop to keep it level. If the amount of weight you intend to put in the back of the tow vehicle lowers the rear 2"s then you would only need a 6" drop. If you don't think you will ever need a ballmount with that much drop again after the move, maybe U-haul would add one to the rental package for the one way trip? Also, check with U-haul on the size ball their units need. If I remember, they use an odd size ball, which means you may have to get it from them also.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:57 PM
Contributing Member

thanks for the reply. their trailers use a 2" ball i read online so im fine there. im considering putting the 4 wheels in the back and seeing how much it makes it drop down. i know i am going to need a drop hitch of some length in the future for any other trailer seeing how high my truck is so i may invest in an adjustable one...
Old 08-06-2006, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
thanks for the reply. their trailers use a 2" ball i read online so im fine there. im considering putting the 4 wheels in the back and seeing how much it makes it drop down. i know i am going to need a drop hitch of some length in the future for any other trailer seeing how high my truck is so i may invest in an adjustable one...
An adjustable ball mount would be a good investment, if you will be able to use it later on. Just be sure to check the load ratings on the one you get.

Have a safe trip.
Old 08-06-2006, 01:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 12" drop hitch (still not enough drop though) and I've towed 2 quads on a trailer and it diddnt sag much at all. That was about 1000 pounds.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:10 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow - where did you find a 12" drop? Tallest I could find was 10". It's still a couple inches high on the jetski, but it tows fine. (would probably be pretty close for a trailer with regular tires)
Old 08-06-2006, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

im going to go to a hitch place and get an adjustable one. i think thatll be the best choice in the long run. i hate sundays, everything is closed
Old 08-06-2006, 06:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
Wow - where did you find a 12" drop? Tallest I could find was 10". It's still a couple inches high on the jetski, but it tows fine. (would probably be pretty close for a trailer with regular tires)

A place called Smith Trailers here in Cincinnati

http://www.smithtrailers.com/