General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Convinced That Armor All Will Crack Your Dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, i had no idea it was crap! i always used it and haven't had cracking problems but i'm convinced enough that i'm not using it any more. It did seem to strip the color off the dash on my 93 though - it was origonally light grey and by the end there were some black spots.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

Mine is cracked in 2 spots though I could care less as it's a 15 year old truck
Old 01-04-2007, 10:25 AM

My mother has a 98' Ford Exploder, with plastic (or what ever they are) fender flairs, shes been using Armorall on them to make them look good. Over the past few years, the flares have turned white. This also happend on my "ex-girlfriend" jeep wrangler. Just my 2 pennies.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:25 AM
Nic

I can't say for sure if Armor All is that bad or not. I have an old 84 Camry that I have had for about 14 years now. I have used Armor All on it many times and the dash is not cracked, I don't really keep it clean anymore since it is just commute vehicle. But for a few years there, I used Armor All on it religiously.

I have known people that have had vehicles and never used Armor All and had dash cracks. My dad's Toyota pick-up has a crack in the middle of the dash, and I have seen several of those style pick-ups just like that. I think it is more a manufacturing or design flaw than anything.

I have used it on my truck and, so far, haven't had any problems.

I will say though, I do get a white haze on the inside of my windows-especially on the front windshield. I would be willing to bet, it is from the Armor All. I keep my truck mostly parked in my barn out of the sun. Whenever I park in the sun, I use one of those sun reflectors for the front window. I have always done that with my car too, so that may have prevented cracks and dash damage.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:45 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nic
I keep my truck mostly parked in my barn out of the sun. Whenever I park in the sun, I use one of those sun reflectors for the front window.
That's the best advice of all right there...
Old 01-04-2007, 11:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Direct sunlight will cause armour-all to evaporate and leave a greasy residue on the windshield.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Contributing Member

I bought mine with the infamous crack in the dash board. It gets abused by the sun out here in New Mexico. I don't know if I'm going to get a dashboard cover for it or just keep it as is. Recently on another thread about superclean and engine bays there was a response to try 303 Aeronautic Protectant spray. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ght=superclean Check out the post by paddlenbike. I got a small sample size bottle at my local pool outlet *it works for hot tube covers and other porch accessories.* Its for U/V protection. Well I haven't had a chance to try it on the runner yet, I will this weekend. I did use it 2-3 months ago on my Subaru. The only thing I've had to do is to dust it with a swifter every so often, the dash still looks brand new. The engine compartment looks really nice too. A little spray goes a long way too. I'd recommend giving that a try.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:52 PM

Armor All was banned in the shop when I used to do body work. Probally for the sole reason that it would contaminate paint jobs. It was well known then that it would make plastics crack. The silicon in Armor All draws the solvents out the plastics drying them out. Baby oil makes sense (mineral oil). I and every body shop I worked at used Meguires #40 for interior plastics. I have never had one crack on me.