General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Clack Clack Clack Clack

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Clack Clack Clack Clack

CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK

Is the sound my engine is making now.

Well a month and a half after I replaced the Timming chain, put a new head on it, new exhaust mainifold, all new belts and gaskets, new O2 sensor, she was running great, than a couple days ago on the way to work it stalled? fired back up again and ran kinda poopie,

Got to work and parked it, couple hours later I went to lunch, ran fine until I got back from lunch and stalled again in the parking lot (Its an Automatic). I fired it back up and thats when I heard the terrible loud noise "CLACK CLACK CLACK CLACK".

After work that day I removed the fan shroud hoping that it was the blades hitting. Nope noise still there, I pulled the valve cover and re-checked the the valves with the feeler gauge hoping one of them came outta spec, All still good.

At this point I'm tee'd off with the truck, and thinking about trading it in for a JEEP, Stupid 4Runner is about as realiable as a Jeep, breaks down as often as a Jeep, but cost's 7 times more to fix,

It will start and run fine for a couple seconds/min than the noise comes back.

I'm going to have it towed to a buddies farm and park it till spring, Than Ill figure out what to do with it, either sell it, trade it for a Jeep, or fix it.

sorry for the rant.

anyone have any idea what goes CLACK CLACK CLACK ? Sounds like it is comming from the back of engine. I was wondering is there an easy test for the oil pump ? Maybe it quit and there is no oil getting to the back valves ?

I dunno ? anyone wanna buy a custom 4Runner ?

Last edited by 4Hummer; 12-13-2005 at 10:42 AM.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Usually valves click. Clack is a sign of a bad connecting rod bearing. If it comes and goes it could partially be due to oil but most likely the bearing has worn or something has clogged the passage (rare to happen think) to it making it wear or starve for oil.

What about putting a rebuit built up engine it in? Or, rebuild that one. It should then be good for many more years.

Frank
Old 12-13-2005, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know how you feel when something breaks after all your hard work and money you put into it. I think we all feel that way sometimes. Just step back take a break and go at it when you are in a better frame of mind.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Let us know how it goes.

Joel
Old 12-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Contributing Member

I feel the same as you do Michael...my 4runner has broken down more than any Chevrolet I have ever owned and I tried to justify the Toyota name with that age old saying of "They run forever" but I keep on holding on...hoping one day that I can honestly say..."Yep she's been purty reliable." Looks like the person before me got the reliability and left me with the fixins'! One of these days I will catch the poor bastad out somewhere...
Old 12-16-2005, 09:39 AM

Well it appears that its the bottom end on the engine. (Go Figure rebuild the top end and the bottom end Falls out)

BUT IM NOT SINKING ANOTHER DIME into this Underpowered, Over Priced 22RE, Barley 100+ HP, Jap Engine.

Bullet Proof my (well okay okay there is over 300,000 Kms on it and I do beat the heck outta it)

So starting this spring the 4Runner will be Getting a 5.0L engine,

I've been doing a ton of research. No more 4Cyliders for me so no 2.7swap, The 7MGT's are next to impossible to find here and Cost major $$$$$$ I Dont like the Chevy 4.3 Vortec engine, and I've allready owned a Toyota with a Buick 3.8 in it. 3.4 Swap is to much CASH, and the Chevy/Ford SB 350 are too big and weigh to much.

So Best Bang for the buck is a 5.0Litre Engine, Its CHEAP, Tons of aftermarket Parts Availible, Smaller and Lighter than a 350SB.

So Im on the Hunt for a Donor Truck/Car Anyone have a List of Trucks that came with a 5.0L Engine ? Id like a complete donor 4x4 Truck incase I need the Transfer Case and Tranny. (Plus axles would be nice too)

Come on Tell me a Mustang Powered 4Runner doesn't sound SWEET!

Last edited by 4Hummer; 12-16-2005 at 09:51 AM.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
Well it appears that its the bottom end on the engine. (Go Figure rebuild the top end and the bottom end Falls out)

BUT IM NOT SINKING ANOTHER DIME into this Underpowered, Over Priced 22RE, Barley 100+ HP, Jap Engine.

Bullet Proof my (well okay okay there is over 300,000 Kms on it and I do beat the heck outta it)

So starting this spring the 4Runner will be Getting a 5.0L engine,

I've been doing a ton of research. No more 4Cyliders for me so no 2.7swap, The 7MGT's are next to impossible to find here and Cost major $$$$$$ I Dont like the Chevy 4.3 Vortec engine, and I've allready owned a Toyota with a Buick 3.8 in it. 3.4 Swap is to much CASH, and the Chevy/Ford SB 350 are too big and weigh to much.

So Best Bang for the buck is a 5.0Litre Engine, Its CHEAP, Tons of aftermarket Parts Availible, Smaller and Lighter than a 350SB.

So Im on the Hunt for a Donor Truck/Car Anyone have a List of Trucks that came with a 5.0L Engine ? Id like a complete donor 4x4 Truck incase I need the Transfer Case and Tranny. (Plus axles would be nice too)

Come on Tell me a Mustang Powered 4Runner doesn't sound SWEET!

I have said everything you just did almost word for word! I'm planning a 5.0 swap sometime maybe next summer or so. But I'm getting me a nice roller 5.0 and possibly considering a salvage yard cobra motor. I know I'll be breaking stuff left and right but at least I can do upgrades then instead of just mechanical fixes! Take it you have been reading that 302/351 swap thread? I have a clack clack issue too...with the current top end rebuild. Someone told me the top end was strong but the bottom end was wore and as a result the bottom end tries to push the top end and resulting in failure because of the mileage. Look forward to your buildup and I will be sharing mine too!
Old 12-16-2005, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by callmej75
I have said everything you just did almost word for word! I'm planning a 5.0 swap sometime maybe next summer or so. But I'm getting me a nice roller 5.0 and possibly considering a salvage yard cobra motor. I know I'll be breaking stuff left and right but at least I can do upgrades then instead of just mechanical fixes! Take it you have been reading that 302/351 swap thread? I have a clack clack issue too...with the current top end rebuild. Someone told me the top end was strong but the bottom end was wore and as a result the bottom end tries to push the top end and resulting in failure because of the mileage. Look forward to your buildup and I will be sharing mine too!

SWEET... Do you have a link that thread I cant find it.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
SWEET... Do you have a link that thread I cant find it.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...&highlight=351