Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

What do you call this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What do you call this?

Ok so there isnt many ppl around here that go all out on Toyotas... but I plan to... Ok well as far out as my red neck ass is willing to spend... I have a 86 reg cab with no motor, no... ok I have a rolling chassy but i have all the parts I need as far as toyota stock stuff. My plan is to do a SOS 4 link front and rear. with a chev 350 with R151 tran. Still not sure if im going to go carb or EFI TBI or whet every chev calls it. Any input on that would be nice. I have a far amount of fab experiences so I comfortable with the work but my biggest goal is to keep the $$$ DOWN!!!. I found a link on how to do your own 4 link the math is a bit much but after reading it 3 or 4 times I think I have that part down. But I'm not liking the coil over prices... and then I found this pic.Crap How do I post a pic.... Ok here's the link to the pic. http://www.muddtanks.com/4LinkSuspArticle.htm its the first color pick about 3/4 the way down the page. Has anyone used this spring set up? What is it called? Will it work on the front? How do I decide how many leafs to use? and ANYthing else you can tell me about the way he made these springs!!!! pros? cons?. It looks to me like it should work fairly well.

Oh and one more thing Does anyone know first hand how 4 link does in the mud... I mean does it make for more drag or no? Sand? Hills? Snow? There is a little bit of everything around here (Alaska) my rig needs to be able to get there and back.

FYI this is not a DD. It will go down the road but only to get to the trail (not far, few miles) and only when no one is looking .

Last edited by AkYoda; 08-25-2009 at 04:02 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First, To post a pic, you need to host it on an image hosting website such as Photobucket. Then paste the image code in the text box when you post and it will show up.

Second, I think that such a suspension system is a lot more complex and costly than you will probably need. It doesn't sound like you'll be doing a lot of hardcore rock crawling, so I would follow the KISS principle and choose a simpler and much less expensive suspension option, that will still get you there and back.

Finally, I would continue to do some significant research before diving in to a big project like this, as it seems you have a big picture in your head that looks great, but may need some fine tuning, and one would hate to spend a bunch on one thing only to find it doesn't meet their needs and have to go back and do it again. Good luck, however you decide to do things.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:28 PM

You couldn't be more right. This is WAY more then I need. My "biggest" truck was a 86 with a 3 inch body lift and 33 x12.5 used MT and a 220,000 84 celica 22r with more loose vac lines then I know what to do with, so if it sucked I plugged it if it blew I left it. it topped out at 58 mph and got around 9 mpg. Only one tire had brakes and the front right shock was missing. And that thing did every thing I ever asked of it. The thing is the winters are long, cold, and dark. I need a new project if my wife and kids are going to live through it lol jk. And there is at least a 10% chance that I'm going to get 80-90% done run out of welding wire and drop the ball. it will sit for 6-12 months and then get given sold dropped off at the dump raped and pillaged for...etc. BUT I will have a hell of alot of fun doing it. learn a lot and maybe just maybe finish it love the hell out of it or just like it cuz i know i built it drive it for a couple of years. and then decide i want a new quad and sell it and get one. My last big project was a subaru thing that looked like a 4x4 dune buggy. all pipe frame and roll cage.for tires i got a complete second set of tires and wheels fabbed up this STUPID dually adapter front and rear. It was sick ass hell!!! never got the motor running gave it to a friend cuz the cheepest motor i could find was $350. he got it running for free when mommy gave him her back up car to finish it with. I took it out with him on its first trip. he lost it on a bet the next trip... dumb ass total investment was around $100. $10 in gas for the welder $50 for the car i started from. And $40 in cutting wheels... beer $ doesnt count i got the welding rod for free from a guy that got a bunch wet and said here you can have it. I can get all the pipe and steel i need for free from the old military base that has been getting slowly gutted for about the last 40 years. my point is yes realistically for me this is a stupid idea but im still going to do it
Besides if i got the coolest project then the guys will hang at my place which leads to less bitchen from the wife then me going to theirs!!!!

So any pointers? any idea what that spring set up is and how well it works?

FYI the end goal is kinda a baja go fast down the trail rig. but must do. Water crossings, mud, hill climbs (dirt and gravel hills mostly), sand, snow, bolder hopping (like rock crawling but the rocks have 3 inches of loss moss like stuff making them slick you come up on fields of bolders that kinda look like a carton of green eggs.) Jump, land after jumping etc.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:42 PM

Oh and i do plan on spending some $$$ on this. Shocks, heim joints, and I will buy the DOM pipe. Hope to trade off some old crap for a 350 but might brake down and spend $200-300 on a good running used one.