Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Question about lockers

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question about lockers

My question is that do i have front lockers? I have some aftermarket wheels that do not have the knob. Do all yotas have lockers? or is mine just a little dededee? Any help is appreciated.

-Jack
Old 08-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You likely have ADD (Automatic Disconnecting Differential) with splined hubs. With that setup, when you engage 4wd, the front differential starts to turn the axles, and when you go back to 2wd it will disengage itself.

Lockers are an aftermarket product you can install into your diff, that allow both right and left wheels to turn at the same rate. Your 4Runner does not likely have a locker.

The knobs you referred to would be called manual hubs. They are used to manually engage the front axles when in 4wd.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Banned

Hey thanks abunch for clearing that up for me. I know more than the average 16 year old kid, but that is something i have done quite a bit research on and could never figure it out.

How much would lockers cost? are they hard to install? And do they engage like the lock out hubs?

Edit: BTW i know what lockers do, i dont want to say i know my stuff and have you thinking that im a complete idiot haha.

Last edited by 2DoorRunner; 08-21-2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Lockers range from about 300 to 800 dollars or so, plus installation, which you want a professional to do. It depends on how strong you want them, and whether or not you want to be able to manually disengage them. I have an ARB air locker in my 4Runner. It's there when I need it, but I don't have the street driving issues you would have with a full time locker.

If you are looking to build a capable rig down the road, it's a good idea to start your research now. My personal preference is locked in the rear, and open in the front. I do a lot of street driving though. If it were a dedicated trail rig, I'd want a selectable locker or maybe a limited slip in front.

Have fun building your 2 door.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Banned

Thanks for your help. My preference would be to manually engage it. And i will be gettina a locker for the rear eventually too, probably at the same time. Would i engage them with a knob similar to the knobs to put a yota in 4wd?
Old 08-21-2009, 10:09 PM

http://www.offroadlockers.com/works....880/8f28/.html
Old 08-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Banned

SWEET! thanks, those are going to be the ones for sure. They have them for the front of 4runners, there are some for the rear in a pick up. I wouldnt think that they would be different but i would like a second opinion. I wish i had the cash for them now. i guess i better get to work.

And to those who have helped me out, thank you very much. And sorry for so many questions, i just want to be sure that i get something that will fit my needs. Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Frankly, lockers are one of the last things that you should get.
One of the first would be armor, rockers, engine/transfer case/tranny, bumpers, at least rear wrap around.
You don't need a lift with 31's (tires), as some of the 2nd gen came with 31's stock.
If you want to do it right, then get a 1" ~ 2" body lift and then a BudBuilt tranny/xfercase skid and have him make one that will push the tranny/xfercase up higher, closer to being flush with the bottom of the frame rails. That mod makes a huge difference for off roading.
After that, before you get lockers, learn how to drive the beast off road and what it will do.
Lockers should come only after that.
Both you and your vehicle will be much better off in the long run.

Fred
Old 08-22-2009, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
Frankly, lockers are one of the last things that you should get.
One of the first would be armor, rockers, engine/transfer case/tranny, bumpers, at least rear wrap around.
You don't need a lift with 31's (tires), as some of the 2nd gen came with 31's stock.
If you want to do it right, then get a 1" ~ 2" body lift and then a BudBuilt tranny/xfercase skid and have him make one that will push the tranny/xfercase up higher, closer to being flush with the bottom of the frame rails. That mod makes a huge difference for off roading.
After that, before you get lockers, learn how to drive the beast off road and what it will do.
Lockers should come only after that.
Both you and your vehicle will be much better off in the long run.

Fred
Really? Lockers last? Seriously? Obviously you dont do any wheeling. A locker is hands down the single most cost effective mod you can do to your truck.

Depending on where you live, there first thing should be a locker and sliders. After that it, really doesnt matter. Its based on what you feel what you need at the time. Some people would prefer to put on a front bumper with a winch with rear bumper, lift, gears and tires to follow.

Some people will choose to invest in a lift and gears next with tires and bumpers to follow.

All depends on the driver.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:04 AM

yea get you a locker first. and no lockers dotn enage like maual hubs. if you have an ai rlocker, you have a switch in the cab you flip. its it jsut a lunchbox locker (lockrite,aussie, etc like i plan to get) it stays locked in most of the time, sometimes it will disengage around cornes, sometimes it wont
Old 08-22-2009, 09:15 AM

What I would do, is lock the rear first with either an ARB or a Detroit, depending on how much you are willing to spend, research and do some shopping will help. You can pretty much go anywhere with a rear locker and only be in 2wd, if you are really serious about wheeling, throw a limited slip in the front, or you can sas it and put an ARB air locker, change the gear ratio to 5.29, and 35" Mud terrains, and.......boy the things I would love to do, maybe one day
Old 08-22-2009, 09:28 AM

x10 on the locker in the rear. Its amazing how that one mod tames the trail and saves a bunch of abuse you would put your rig through trying to smash up a trail when you can just finesse your way to the top.
I am not impressed with the Tru-Trac I have up front or the Auburn LSD I had many years ago.
I would go selectable locker up front next time.
Old 08-22-2009, 10:40 AM

I have a tru trac limited slip in the rear and a lock rite up front. With the combination of the two i can crawl over just about anything on the trail, but the limited slip doesnt tear up my tires on the street. If it was just a trail rig i would put a full locker in the rear as well. But for a daily driver the tru trac works out great.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Banned

Thanks for your help guys, im not going to be getting them for a while, dont think that im putting lockers on my stock runner.

Mods that i will be doing are a 3" suspension lift after i find some cheap(er) 15" steelies and 33s, all sorts of guards (i.e. sliders and ), change the gearing, mount a winch, headers, exhaust, and a rear bumper.

Last night i found a rear smittybuilt rear bumper that is just like my front, and it was only 60 bucks!

And screw body lifts with stock suspension, everybody around here just has 35" swampers with a gigantic body lift.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
search search and search some more. you can spend hours a day on here researching a single thing. this is one of the best toyota knowledge bases on the web, so read and read some more.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by INFINITY
search search and search some more. you can spend hours a day on here researching a single thing. this is one of the best toyota knowledge bases on the web, so read and read some more.
Oh i know, i have spent most of my summer on Yotatech and doing google searches.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:44 PM

Locking the rear of my 4Runner was one of the first and best mods I did. It made an amazing improvement. I have a habit of leaving it in 2wd and seeing how far I can go before actually needing 4wd. One of these days I will lock the front and be amazed all over again.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Justinlhc
Locking the rear of my 4Runner was one of the first and best mods I did. It made an amazing improvement. I have a habit of leaving it in 2wd and seeing how far I can go before actually needing 4wd. One of these days I will lock the front and be amazed all over again.
Exactly.

2Door, if any of these traction adding devices if possibly in your future, I highly recommend considering having it done at the
Old 08-22-2009, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by desertcamper67
Exactly.

2Door, if any of these traction adding devices if possibly in your future, I highly recommend considering having it done at the
umm....at the what?
Old 08-22-2009, 03:59 PM

And if any of these traction adding devices are possibly in your future, I recommend you consider doing it at the SAME TIME as you do the gearing. Its overlapping labor. No more labor to do gears and LSD or locker at the same time. ARB will be more of course.

Quick Reply: Question about lockers