Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Timing Chain Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Chain Questions

So i Have been around rockcrawling for along time and been on this site hundreds of times but never had anything worth asking. A little background on my truck: Its a 1993 Toyota Pickup 4x4 Std cab 22re with a rebuilt engine 39,000 miles ago. Well it started running kinda funny when stopped at lights but ran fine when moving and i noticed that the water kept Disappearing from the radiator. Looked and there was no leak in the radiator (by the way i put a V6 radiator in it) and the temp gauge never went past around 1/4 of the way of the white part of the gauge(which it never does anyways). Well i got my oil changed and about a week later MILKSHAKE. So since i never got even near hot i dont think that its a head gasket and so i did a little research i found the timing chain cover problem with it coming off the guides and eating into the cover and then leaking coolant into the oil.

Im 17 and i can do some things on my engine like oil change oil pump and all that good stuff and i was just about to readjust my valves so do you think i should do this (i also have the help of my stepdad who knows alot about cars)???

Another question is do u have any pointers for a first timer and s hould i change the head gasket or not...i was thinking not because of the rebuilt engine and not getting hot what so ever..but im not sure thats why i am writing..

Thanks in advance very much BRANDON M.

Last edited by Brandon13; 06-12-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go for it! anything is possbile if you put your mind to it. the timing chain looks like a big job to take on, but once you do it, you get pretty comfortable with it. the best way to learn about the 22re is to just tear into it!!

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml

here is 4cralwers writeup on how to do the timing chain, its alot of help. also i know irab88 did a good write up with lots of pics. i got my timing chain kit from engbldr, along with a full gasket set and a timing chain covor. youre definatly want to replace the timing chain covor, and upgrade to the metal guides. alot of people debate wether or not to use engnblr, or go with the more pricey lce engineering etc. but i think im going to stay out of that debate.

as for the headgasket, the right way to do it would be replace it, but at some times it would be un neccasary, but you also have the chance of coolent getting in there and weakining it. i'll leave that question for the pro's to answer

hope i helped
Old 06-12-2011, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by 85gijunk4x4
go for it! anything is possbile if you put your mind to it. the timing chain looks like a big job to take on, but once you do it, you get pretty comfortable with it. the best way to learn about the 22re is to just tear into it!!

here is 4cralwers writeup on how to do the timing chain, its alot of help. also i know irab88 did a good write up with lots of pics. i got my timing chain kit from engbldr, along with a full gasket set and a timing chain covor. youre definatly want to replace the timing chain covor, and upgrade to the metal guides. alot of people debate wether or not to use engnblr, or go with the more pricey lce engineering etc. but i think im going to stay out of that debate.

as for the headgasket, the right way to do it would be replace it, but at some times it would be un neccasary, but you also have the chance of coolent getting in there and weakining it. i'll leave that question for the pro's to answer

hope i helped
yah my stepdad told me about enginebdlr and i just happened to pass by the 4crawler timing chain website.. its gonna be the most in depth that i have ever been into my truck which makes me really nervous
Old 06-13-2011, 12:00 PM

so got my valve cover off and the timing chain looks ok i guess im going head gasket
Old 06-16-2011, 08:34 PM

Wait before you take head bolts out lol
buy new head bolts (stock ones suck) get arp studs while you're at it.... the stock ones are only good once. you will be replacing head gasket very soon if you reuse those bolts. and new gasket make sure you get the right torque pattern...or you will warp the head. and easy way of redoing the timing cover it to drop oil pan take off timing cover remove water pump after timing cover is off motor. install water pump on new cover and oil pump place timing cover back on and replace oil pan. and get a new chain tension-or.. the plastic guides will work but the metal is better be sure not to move your cam or crank or you're timing will be off

hope im not to late lol
Old 06-16-2011, 09:16 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

Here is where the problem lies and could cause nothing but frustration .

If indeed you had coolant mix with oil that mixture(milkshake) will in a heartbeat take out the babbit material in the lower end and in the cam as well.

You are young do you want to take the chance of putting the top end all together to only have the bottom end start knocking.

Have you shined a light down and looked at the left side timing guide how can you tell the chain is good . All the measurements need to be taken with it off when it is all apart.

Also if you have no coolant flow past the sending unit it will not work it needs to be in liquid to work
Old 06-17-2011, 09:50 PM

Sorry with no updates but i got everything taken apart and got a head gasket set new timing chain ,metal guides ,cover and water pump and head bolts all from engine Builder. just started to put everything back today and i have an original 1985 Toyota Shop manuel so that helped with getting everything torqued correct. Took in my head and exhaust to get resurface and got the head pressure tested and all is ok. I was looking and there was no apparent place where the head gasket was leaking but looked like maybe one coolant passage had sprung a leak into the #4 cylinder. The only thing worrying me is that i had the engine at TDC on the exhaust stroke when i took out the distributor (nothing else was disassembled) and i marked the place where it was at. but i was looking at the maneul and how it tells you to reinstall it, it happens to look like it was at the same place as when i took it out.?Thank god my step dad got it at TDC on the compression before i took everything out so how bad will my timing be and how to fix that......and another is that when i took my head to go get resurfaced the guy took off the rocker arm assembly so the camshaft moved so i just aligned the marks at the top and then put the timing chain back hopefully that wont give me too many problems. and thanks for all the advice so far keep it coming
Old 06-17-2011, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Here is where the problem lies and could cause nothing but frustration .

If indeed you had coolant mix with oil that mixture(milkshake) will in a heartbeat take out the babbit material in the lower end and in the cam as well.

You are young do you want to take the chance of putting the top end all together to only have the bottom end start knocking.

Have you shined a light down and looked at the left side timing guide how can you tell the chain is good . All the measurements need to be taken with it off when it is all apart.

Also if you have no coolant flow past the sending unit it will not work it needs to be in liquid to work
Right when i saw the milkshake form i stopped driving it and i looked down into the timing chain cover and took it apart and all was perfectly fine..
Old 06-18-2011, 12:46 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

Ok then where did the coolant and oil mix??
Old 06-18-2011, 01:45 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
hey... here's the link to my re-build thread. it was my first time, too. something i would have done differently would be to take the engine out of the truck (would have bought or borrowed a stand/hoist). it's fairly easy to do in the truck, but with a few more bolts out, i could have done it a lot easier and quicker

link: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...d-pics-232381/
Old 06-18-2011, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Ok then where did the coolant and oil mix??
There was no obvious cracks or scraps in the timing cover but a few minor ones and i wasnt sure if that was the problem so i went head gasket and there is one coolant passage that was breeched and leaking into cylinder #4
Old 06-18-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by irab88
hey... here's the link to my re-build thread. it was my first time, too. something i would have done differently would be to take the engine out of the truck (would have bought or borrowed a stand/hoist). it's fairly easy to do in the truck, but with a few more bolts out, i could have done it a lot easier and quicker

link: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...d-pics-232381/
I have acctually been using your thread ore than you know..yours and 92 TOY have helped a bunch THANKS ALOT!!!!

I have a hoist and a stand but i think this was ok just a few times when i wished i had taken it out. For starting to tear it down monday and planning on finishing it up today it wasnt bad i cleaned a lot and painted my valve cover the longest was waiting for parts..i just have to finish running wire to trans and then hook a couple of wires and then fan radiator powersteering valve cover and little stuff like that i should be firing it up tonight after work or tomarrow morning
Old 06-19-2011, 03:23 PM

Hey after changing a head gasket and timimg chain is there a break in time required cuse I just got it done today and tomarrow I have to drive two hours away?
Old 07-16-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by 85gijunk4x4

hope i helped
So everything worked from engbldr? I just want to get my son's 222re motor running - needs a timing chain because the guides broke off and started wearing a groove in the cover. I have it most of the way torn down - still need to remove the oil pan and oil pump before I remove the cover. I cannot find anything wrong with the water pump and as far as I know the oil pump is okay too so I will get engbldr's kit with timing over if you say it's all good. What did you think of the gaskets from engbldr?
Old 07-16-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon13
Hey after changing a head gasket and timimg chain is there a break in time required cuse I just got it done today and tomarrow I have to drive two hours away?
i just drove away. i spent my spring break doing that repair, and then straight back to 100 miles a day commuting to work and school. everything worked fine (and still is)
Old 07-16-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by netsomnia
So everything worked from engbldr? I just want to get my son's 222re motor running - needs a timing chain because the guides broke off and started wearing a groove in the cover. I have it most of the way torn down - still need to remove the oil pan and oil pump before I remove the cover. I cannot find anything wrong with the water pump and as far as I know the oil pump is okay too so I will get engbldr's kit with timing over if you say it's all good. What did you think of the gaskets from engbldr?
Never used them!! i have them in a box, sitting in my garage, but i havnt installed any yet!! I've heard people say "use this, but dont use that" meaning somethings from engnbldr are good, and many people had success with them, while other things people just never had sucess with. I'd ask around, and see who had sucess with what, and make a mental list of whats good, and what to avoid.

i must say though, lce's gasket set has been good for years now!! no complaints
Old 07-16-2011, 05:08 PM

fel-pro gaskets all around for me. even in your hands they feel well-built. no leaks or issues with mine, and the entire top-end kit (with gaskets for both efi and carb'd) is only about $80 from o'riely's
Old 07-22-2011, 09:07 AM

fel-pro gaskets all around for me. even in your hands they feel well-built. no leaks or issues with mine, and the entire top-end kit (with gaskets for both efi and carb'd) is only about $80 from o'riely's
How about the gasket between the EFI plenum and intake manifold? I did not damage this - at least not from my visual check. Should I reuse it? Also, what about the seal between the silver, metal pipe at the back of the EFI? It looks like it had a silver compound of some kind on there before I unbolted it from the EFI. The same type of connection is over on the exhaust manifold side too but I haven't unbolted that one yet because I am having second thoughts about removing the head and I am thinking that I should just try the timing chain and guides, replace the oil pump and water pump gaskets, add grey permatex to the oil pan, put it back together and test it with new spark plugs and distributor cap and rotor. See what happens... If worse comes to the worst, I'll find a another good block and begin doing a complete rebuild over the winter. This motor is getting interesting and easier to understand.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:16 AM

as you dig into a motor, you'll realize sow simple it really is. just lots of parts.

in my humble opinion, gaskets should never be re-used. i'm sure other's here have different opinions, but i think that as soon as you separate the parts, the gasket is ever so slightly damaged. and that might be enough to make it fail sooner than a new one. the fel-pro kit comes with every gasket you'll need, from the throttle body and carb, to the exhaust manifold
Old 07-22-2011, 09:39 AM

as you dig into a motor, you'll realize sow simple it really is. just lots of parts.

in my humble opinion, gaskets should never be re-used. i'm sure other's here have different opinions, but i think that as soon as you separate the parts, the gasket is ever so slightly damaged. and that might be enough to make it fail sooner than a new one. the fel-pro kit comes with every gasket you'll need, from the throttle body and carb, to the exhaust manifold
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll keep plugging away at it.

Quick Reply: Timing Chain Questions