Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Timing Belt replacement: Timing Mark Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Belt replacement: Timing Mark Questions

Hi everyone I'm Eddie. I've been a 4Runner owner for a week and I'm enjoying learning how to fix my car. 1990 3.0 3VZ-E, 4wd/Auto. I've read several threads about timing belt replacements/ water pump replacements and they've all been very helpful. And even though the 3VZ-E has gotten many mixed reviews, above everything it's a Toyota and if I take care of it, it should take care of me.
My situation is:

I've rotated the crankshaft pulley and the groove on its lip is aligned with the "0" on the lower timing belt cover. HOWEVER...the matchmarks on the camshaft timing pulleys are not aligned with those on the upper rear timing cover. My friend rebuilt his '91 Toyota truck and reassured me that no matter how many times we rotated the crankshaft pulley, the matchmarks on the camshaft timing pulleys were NOT aligned when the crankshaft one was as "0" the passenger camshaft pulley is 90degrees clockwise of its mark, and the driver's side is 180 degrees off. And now...something we did that is maybe either irrelevant or moronic: We loosened and disengaged the timing belt.

My question:

Does that matter? When I replace all the pulleys and whatnot and the timing belt do I leave the passenger/driver side camshaft timing pulleys OFF (90 & 180 degrees, respectively)

OR

do I rotate them to the timing marks etched on them?

I hope the included photo helps.

Much thanks, Eddie

(In addition to replacing the Timing Belt and water pump & gasket, I intend to replace a few more things, as per suggestions I read on yotatech.com...)

Power steering, Alternator, and AC Belts
thermostat & thermo gasket
front camshaft seals
front cranksaft seal
tensioner roller
idler roller
Old 04-23-2011, 11:56 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by EddieFin808
And even though the 3VZ-E has gotten many mixed reviews, above everything it's a Toyota and if I take care of it, it should take care of me.
Eddie: Welcome to Yotatech. I admire your theory about the 3.0, if you take care if it it will take care of you.
I have just heard too many stories of people taking care of them but the engine not returning the favor.

You can download the factory service manual using the link in my signature.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:15 AM

Smile Timing Belt Replacement: Timing Mark Questions

Evan a Chiltons / Haynes Manual Makes it Easy, My Dealer loaned me the cam sprocket tool, Bought the timing kit from the Parts Dinosuer, Complete with bearings, belt and new water pump, Only 110.00 plus shipping, top notch parts too !!! Good Luck !!!
Old 04-24-2011, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's a good thread on the topic. The only difference is he's got a hydraulic tensioner. I followed this to a tee and had no problems changing mine.

Good Luck.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...s-pics-183911/
Old 04-25-2011, 05:00 PM

Hi all. I appreciate the feedback. especially the link to the RM.
I'm reinstalled the new timing belt but manually cranked the camshaft timing pulleys to their original marks INSTEAD of leaving them the way i found the (see the photo).

BEFORE i turn the car on...does anyone have any advice as to if that was a good idea or not?

please advise.

mahalo,
-Eddie
Old 04-25-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I did mine, I lined everything up and rotated it all with a big wrench on the crankshaft bolt 2 complete cycles. All marks were still perfectly lined up, so I buttoned everything up. Put timing light on it, adjusted the distributor and just went straight to 10* advance. Truck has never ran this good.

Some people go to 12* advance on distributor timing.

Good Luck. Have patience. It took me a couple times to line everything up so that it would stay where it should once the tensioner was tensioned.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:57 PM

i got a parts truck it was an 1988 with the 3.0 we pulled it put it in my 1994 and we had to change a few things and i noticed the same thing on my marks but when we put it back togeather we did it following the book
Old 04-25-2011, 09:37 PM

thanks everyone, I put the camshaft pulleys back to their original marked locations and as soon as I put everything else back and add sufficient fluids n whatnot i'll start it up and let you all know how it went.

mahalo,
-Eddie
Old 05-04-2011, 01:00 PM

Your timing is no correct. Your bottom cam should be at TDC (0) and both of the valve cams should be lined up with the top marks straight up. I just did this last night and all is fine.