Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Suspension Kits 101: I have some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The opinion of most people that I know of that have tried the ProCrap, ahhh, sorry, Procomp shocks pretty much hated 'em.
Too stiff.

In the Jeep TJ world, the only thing that Procomp makes that's worth anything are their 4" springs. The fronts are second to none.
Other than that, almost no one runs anything Procomp.

OME, springs and shocks, are certainly 1st class.

As already mentioned running a shock that's too long will cause the shock to overcompress ("bottom out") and that's one of the quickest ways to kill a shock.

Fred
Old 10-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I coulda sworn that the magic number on exhaust for the 3.0 was 2.25"? I heard that going above 2.5" reduces backpressure and takes away all the low end torque... though I could be wrong.

As far as OME coils, I bought 901's and got em in the mail 2 days ago.... took about 4 hours to install (had a spring compressor issue) but I think I could do it again in about 1.5 hours. I used Rancho 5009 shocks in rear and they work perfect. I'll take a picture tomorrow morning of it so you can see the difference.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:17 PM

I found the suspension kit that I will go with:

http://www.trdparts4u.com/PD-4RUNNER....aspx?MakeID=1

Description: KIT CONTAINS:
2- OME901-Heavy load rear coil springs
2- OME N72F- NitroCharger Shocks
2- OME N98 -NitroCharger Shocks
1- OMESD33 SteerStabilizer
2- SDORI Coil spring spacers
2- SDORI Ball Joint spacers

Old Man Emu from Australia makes the first 4 items, SDORI of San Diego makes the spacers.
Color:
Notes: only for toyota 4runners 90-95, 2nd generation, gives a 3 to 4 inch lift total

Half the price of other brand lift kits, this one does the trick and as you fellow's have submitted OME shocks are some of the best out there!

I did not know that they sold the whole kit with the ball joint spacers together!

Totally awsome!

-Jonathan Mann
Old 10-03-2006, 06:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Simann
I found the suspension kit that I will go with:

http://www.trdparts4u.com/PD-4RUNNER....aspx?MakeID=1

Half the price of other brand lift kits, this one does the trick and as you fellow's have submitted OME shocks are some of the best out there!

I did not know that they sold the whole kit with the ball joint spacers together!

Totally awsome!

-Jonathan Mann
A few things regarding this combo.
- You won't get 3" ~ 4" of lift in the front without tightening up your t-bars. May want to consider that before you jump into this particular combination of components. Tightening up the front t-bars is going to really make for a stiff ride and, most likely, limit your overall flex.

- You'll need to do something (in the rear) regarding the existing LSPV setup.

- You'll need to do something regarding the rear trackbar as this kit (without a trackbar mod of some sort) is going to really shift the rear axle to one side.

Were I you, I would consider a 2" suspension lift (bj spacers in the front, either 2" springs {OME or Downy} in the rear or 2" spring spacers in the rear, shocks on all four corners {OME's will work}) and possible a 2" bl if you're really set on 4" total.

Fred
Old 10-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Good points, Fred! I think he is more about clearing 33x12.5's than overall inches of lift. I think this lift actually gives the vehicle a really good stance. You are right about the tracbar drop bracket and lpsv bracket, for those that buy the lift without doing their homework.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by slosurfer
Good points, Fred! I think he is more about clearing 33x12.5's than overall inches of lift. I think this lift actually gives the vehicle a really good stance. You are right about the tracbar drop bracket and lpsv bracket, for those that buy the lift without doing their homework.
Yep... since you have shown us that he can go 33's stock, with 3.75" BS, I would just go 1.5" front and 2" rear. No need to go overboard. Going 4" in the rear without drop bracketry will throw off control arm angles, move the axle foreword, making the rear ride funny... If you want 4" of lift get a bracket lift, if you want 2" of lift get spacers and rear coils... Dont half ass it because you dont want to drop the cash...

With 1.5" F and 2" Rear you can put a small LSPV lift on the rear axle, and can probally get away w/out a panhard drop bar...
Old 10-04-2006, 09:27 AM

Guys,

I already accounted (but did not mention) the LSPV bracket. As for the Tracbar (traction bar correct?), I will get an aftermarket as well.

What seems to be the best solution for tracbar issues?

Of course you fellows have no clue who I am, but I do not like to half ass things. There is a huge difference in quality parts and cheap parts and how they work together to form a total package.

Fred is absolutely right. I am doing this kit to get just about a 1.5"-2" lift. Then I can do a BL of about 2" just for asthetics. But overall fitting the 33'' tires is my overall goal.

It should look and perform pretty nice and above all at my expectations for what amount of 4wheeling I will be doing.

-Jonathan Mann