Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Steering Relay Rod Recall

Old 06-14-2006, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Relay Rod & Idler Arm issues

I have seen posts regarding the Steering Relay Rod recall that many dealers are not doing front end alignments (toe in) because of bad Idler Arms. Is it common that the Idler Arm fails with 94 4Runners? I bought a 94 4Runner with 95k miles (orig owner). The truck never saw a dirt road. I have to bring it in for the recall but want to know if I should do front end work first... I was thinking outer tie rod ends and the Idler Arm. Also, I have seen complaints that the Toyota Idler Arm and general oem replacements other that Moog are a problem. Any thoughts? QuietGiant

Last edited by QuietGiant; 06-14-2006 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by QuietGiant
I have seen posts regarding the Steering Relay Rod recall that many dealers are not doing front end alignments (toe in) because of bad Idler Arms. Is it common that the Idler Arm fails with 94 4Runners? I bought a 94 4Runner with 95k miles (orig owner). The truck never saw a dirt road. I have to bring it in for the recall but want to know if I should do front end work first... I was thinking outer tie rod ends and the Idler Arm. Also, I have seen complaints that the Toyota Idler Arm and general oem replacements other that Moog are a problem. Any thoughts? QuietGiant
Usually the stealership will agressively try to solicit work you would have to pay for while they have you car apart for the recall. You might consider getting some simple stuff done, as long as they don't try to screw you. But, it's probably a better deal to just make them do the rod and nothing else.

As for idler arms, man I hate that thing. With my lift (BJ spacers with 26mm T-bars and 33-12.50 TrXuS M/T's) the thing would keep an alignment for MAYBE 2 weeks. Those damn plastic bushings in there just can't take the heat. So, I decided to go hardcore and got an invincible Chrome-Moly Idler Arm from Total Chaos Fabrication (you may recognize them for their extended A-arm "Caddy" lift for 2nd gens). It's a little expensive ($299) but it's super strong, and bolts straight in (you just have to drill the center link to 5/8"). I highly recommend it, because my 4Runner keeps its alignment agressively now, even off-road. Highly recommended!

http://www.chaosfab.com/toyaccess_4wd.html

I'm 1/100th of the way to getting a Caddy Gen-2 from them!

Last edited by mastacox; 06-15-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah and what most won't bother to tell you is the bushing can be replaced in the idler arm. Unless the idler arm is bent it's probably just the plastic bushing that is worn out. IIRC when I replaced my bushing it was maybe a $5 part.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:48 PM

I considered having a new bushing pressed instead of buying a replacement idler arm. Are there still machine shops that press bushings? I havn't seen one in years? At the moment, I am in Phoenix AZ. Do you have a recommendation as to where I can get one pressed here? Mastacox, I see you are from Tucson (not exactly next door).

Last edited by QuietGiant; 06-15-2006 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:24 PM

You don't need to have anyone press them in. They're plastic. You can push them out with a screwdriver and push them back in with your fingers and a flat surface. I just did this this weekend. The thing that took the longest was filling it back up with grease. Here's a write up: http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/idler/
Old 06-15-2006, 03:55 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would take it in first. There's a fair chance that they will cover the replacement of the idler arm, pitman arm, and tie rods (they did on mine!)

Be sure to read the ENTIRE stickied thread at the top.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the "heads up" TC, on the sticky thread and Joatman, on the Idler Arm maintenance post. VERY helpful. I will do new bushings this weekend and call for the recall appointment. I am in Phoenix AZ at the moment with the 4Runner. I saw a post on the 14 page thread where Right Toyota in Scottsdale was used and the member was happy. I'm on the other side of Phoenix closer to Bell Toyota (North Phoenix) and Larry Miller Toyota (Peoria). Has anyone had experience with either of these dealers? I would like to go to the dealer yielding the least brain damage to the customer... QuietGiant
PS. TC, I notice you have a 96 SS Impala (Personal Cop Car). Nice ride. I had one but, I sold it last year with 18k orig miles. I refered to mine as my "4200LB Corvette"

Last edited by QuietGiant; 06-19-2006 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:33 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by QuietGiant
I would like to go to the dealer yeilding the least brain damage to the customer... QuietGiant
Old 06-24-2006, 05:51 PM

Yeah take it in first, thing is the dealer makes a pretty good deal on recalls because the main factory pays for the work so they are getting paid to begin with. I have had my 934WD PU recalled twiice with good service both times.