Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Starter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starter Problems

1990 4runner 22re

I took it apart last year when it was giving me trouble, and it seems liked it was a brush wire hanging on by a thread causing it. I just twisted it back together and it's been fine until now. Wondering if the wire is replaceable in anyway?? Or do I have to buy the whole brush holder assembly?

And so far I've been tapping on the starter to get it going. Sometimes it takes one try, other times it will leave me stranded for 20mins lol I'm thinking of trying to jump the starter with a screwdriver or something. Which points do I have to touch?
Old 07-25-2017, 10:11 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Have you considered soldering??
Old 07-25-2017, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by millball
Have you considered soldering??
Soldering the wire? I actually did a bit of that but I'm guessing it's starting to break apart. Would like to fix it so it lasts longer. Rather not buy a new starter if I don't have to.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:30 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Solder it back like ^^^
Or find replacement.
Exactly what happens when it won't start? What and where do you see, hear, feel?

Originally Posted by mattyboi
... I'm thinking of trying to jump the starter with a screwdriver or something. Which points do I have to touch?
NO. Don't be like other previous owners whom we curse because they did shortcuts and ruined the vehicle.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Solder it back like ^^^
Or find replacement.
Exactly what happens when it won't start? What and where do you see, hear, feel?

NO. Don't be like other previous owners whom we curse because they did shortcuts and ruined the vehicle.
I hear a light click, which I'm thinking is the solenoid plunger doing it's thing and plunging forward but the starter motor is not turning. When it finally does start, it turns over the engine easily.

I guess soldering it back on is worth another shot. When I did it last year it was honestly my first go at it.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by mattyboi
I hear a light click, which I'm thinking is the solenoid plunger doing it's thing and plunging forward but the starter motor is not turning. When it finally does start, it turns over the engine easily.
Cool.
After you fix the starter, I strongly recommend that you check if your starter relay is wired correctly. There have been instances where schematic is correct but actual wiring FROM THE FACTORY IS WRONG. Here's how to check.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Cool.
After you fix the starter, I strongly recommend that you check if your starter relay is wired correctly. There have been instances where schematic is correct but actual wiring FROM THE FACTORY IS WRONG. Here's how to check.
Thanks I will check that out.

I couldn't get the wires soldered together without it breaking off with the slightest bit of movement so I just zip tied it together. 3 crisscrossing. It works for now, let's see how long it will last lmao. Huge pita putting that starter back in though.