Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Source for OE Parts

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 07:58 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Source for OE Parts

Hey All,
I am looking for OE parts for my truck, an 88 standard cab, 22re,4x,5sp manual, IFS.
Who do you guys use for OE parts at non dealer prices?
Thanks in advance!
John
Old 08-20-2017, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
There is no one stop shopping. I get mine off of ebay, rockauto, parts geek,... There are some Toyota parts only sites that sell OEM parts. The dealer is comparable to part store and are better quality. The dealers are not always as high priced as you may think. I cant think of all of the other sites that I use, I just know where to go when I am needing a certain part. Might try Google for Denso and Aisin parts as they are really common but they are not all of OEM parts. There are several other brands that Toyota uses such as transmission parts.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:46 AM

Hey Terry,
Thank you for the response,I mentioned the dealer only because I went to my local one yesterday and got a quote for parts for the front suspension. I see ball joints online ranging from 15.00 up to 64.00
I know that you get what you pay for and I am of the mind that I would rather pay more and perform the labor once rather than go with cheap parts However...
My dealer quoted me 119.00 for each ball joint, so the upper range (64.00-119.00) is still a lot.
What brands are "good", say something like moog?
Old 08-20-2017, 11:05 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The quality of Suspension parts has gone downhill Moog used to be the go to Aftermarket now they would be a last option

I use only Toyota for important parts like the suspension.

If your local dealer does not want to treat you good lots of the online Toyota dealers do Camelback and Conicelli because there close to me.

After all you do pay for what you get.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:35 AM

Wyoming,
Yeah, I want to buy Toyota, I figure their stuff is made to last, where everybody else is making the part to a price point.
I saw a video online where the guy replaced some ball joints and they were toast after 6/8 months!
Online dealer it is, thanks for the feedback.
John
Old 08-20-2017, 12:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you're good now, but just to add to this thread.

Like they said I also would use rockauto or partsgeek.

If they don't have what I need I try to see if I can find a decent price on village toyota or olathe toyota, as they have a very good web catalog. I've noticed some prices vary between the location, aside from that it's not much unfortunately. After that it's just craigslist or even worse ebay. Ebay is usually more expensive, and it's usually 50/50 in my experience anyways, you're gonna get a part that ill last long.

Used to be I use aftermarket, but nowadays especially with my last build, I've might've gotten really unlucky, I've received crap quality as opposed to what we used to get 10 years ago. My alternator sucks and the pulley is hard to turn (Both times Ive gotten one), my tie rods spun with the nuts when I was trying to install em, even the batteries seem like they don't even last as long.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:00 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/
Old 08-30-2017, 11:28 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I always go dealer for my wiper blades. That way I get the OEM performance.

Kidding aside, it depends on the part you need.

I've gotten an aftermarket cat through AZ, tried a PCV valve as well, an Optimus Prime battery, and most of my fluids.

If I didnt mind the wait or pricing was better online, eBay has given plenty of good deals on OEM.

Summit Racing was a good experience as well for aftermarket suspension bushings, and Marlin Crawler for transmission upgrade kits.

I don't use RockAuto, but that doesn't mean its not reputable. It just really depends on the part.

Dont forget sometimes the aftermarket company directly sells.

When I look around, OE is a marketing term I think for selling a universal part. OEM on the other hand is more specific to the vehicle.

As the Toys get older and older, and OEM parts get phased out, I also look to the salvage yard. That's also where OEM parts exist, just as is condition. Calipers were a great experience.

The last time I went to the dealer was for ABS o-rings for another make. I'm proud to be dealer-free for the last 12 months...