Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

side draft carb kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
side draft carb kit

Has anyone installed a side draft carburator kit? if so tell us about it?..i was looking into stroking out my 22r by put a 20r head and 20r intake manifold on for more air then i came across the side draft kit...i think i want to do this..if its possible, it looks simple enough..does it add any power if so where?...hows the throttle response, low end, high end, midrange, how about the fuel usage does it use more fuel?..
Old 01-01-2013, 04:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run the side drafts on a 20R head. Look in my album "My Toy" and you can see my motor. Side drafts are not just "Bolt On" that is why people have problems with them. Most mechanics do not understand them and many will not work on them. You have to do your "Homework" and above all patience when working on them. If you do the system right they will produce very high levels of performance and in many cases out perform fuel injection / turbo-fuel injection.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 AM

damn that "toy" of yours has some money in it!! its sweet!!! but mine is just a plain old 83 pick up with a 22r. like i said i was doing research on putting a 20r head on and read where you should use the 20r intake manifold vs. the 22r manifold because the 20r manifold had bigger openings for more air flow than the 22r manifold...then i came across the side draft carb kits....it obviously isnt that popular from the # of replys this got so maybe it is difficult to install and or deal with...now im starting to doubt putting one on. all my rig is going to before is hunting here in alaska so should i even put one on?..im going to put lockers on, 4 in rough country suspension lift and 33x12.50 tires...maybe stroking it out will give me all i need??...
Old 01-02-2013, 03:02 AM

You only need a 3" lift for 33" tires. If you go to a 4" lift your 33" tires will look dumb. Based on what you want to use your truck for, stay away from the side drafts. A lot of Toyota truck owners put a single Weber carb on and they are happy with the conversion. You will need 4:88 differential gears to run the 33" tires and the truck will perform fine. Save your money and do it right the first time3.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:32 AM

Thanks a lot! Very much appreciated! So should I not stroke it out either? What do you think?
Old 01-03-2013, 04:15 PM

I would not stroke it, not based on what you stated you wanted to use your truck for. My motor has everything you could possibly do to a 22R to gain horse power and make it last but I use mine as a show truck / cruiser. I hit the Nitrous now and then when I want to smoke all four tires or I do not want to be passed by someone on a freeway but thats me. I would suggest you just do minor things to improve engine / driving performance and just enjoy driving your truck-I love to drive mine.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:11 PM

Will stroking it out wear quicker?...how abt the weber 32/36 carb maybe this is all I need? What kind of power increase is there from this carb..is the throttle response improved?
Old 01-19-2013, 02:44 PM

The main thing with the sidedraughts is tuning them. Its kind of a lost art.
You need to do some research on tuning them. I had a PDF and manual for my Mikunis...Haynes has a book for the Webers.

Its quite a bit of knowledge to soak in, on how to open up and put the carbds back together, and to get the jetting right. But like others have said, if they get done right, they can be a sweet setup.
I ran dual Mikuni 44s in my 80 PU, with a 20/22R hybrid motor....And realise, you'll end up sounding like an old Volkswagen.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by E$KIM0
Will stroking it out wear quicker?...how abt the weber 32/36 carb maybe this is all I need? What kind of power increase is there from this carb..is the throttle response improved?
Stroking will not wear an engine out any sooner. Like any high performance mod "Do It Right The First Time" using quality components, keep it tuned and do your maintenance, your motor should last a long time.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:41 AM

Hello I'm recently decided I wanted to upgrade my motor Ihhave a 1982 toyota pickup it has a 22R everything is stock.... A friend of mine was telling me I should put a side draft on my truck. My question is where do I look for to by this kit or what should I look for and what the best thing to buy please help
Old 02-13-2013, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by 702muzik
Hello I'm recently decided I wanted to upgrade my motor Ihhave a 1982 toyota pickup it has a 22R everything is stock.... A friend of mine was telling me I should put a side draft on my truck. My question is where do I look for to by this kit or what should I look for and what the best thing to buy please help
The best place is LC Engineering. Talk to John in Tech for the best selection for your application. Yes, you can find cheaper places but LC Engineering's intake manifold is a better design then most of the ones available plus they know what they are doing when they sell something to you. For a stock engine a lot of people are running a high performance single Weber and really like them.You should check that conversion out also it might give you what you are looking for on a stock motor.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:24 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
The main point is that DCOE's aren't something you bolt on a stock 22R or even one with a 20R head. To have them be worth a damn you need to be doing cam, valvetrain, and exhaust upgrades at minimum. You also need to go to low psi elec fuel pump, good press regulator, and a strictly mech advance distributor. Some other issues I'm sure I'm forgeting, but, you get the idea. They will suck the $$ out of your wallet pretty fast getting them running right.

The best setup, in my oppinion, for a 22R is a Weber 32/36 on an Offy dual plane manifold. Great powerband, good fuel economy, ultra reliable and hassle free.

All that being said, I absolutely LOVE MY DCOE's!!! They are screamers.

Also, Suncomb1 is the man when it comes to DCOE's and LCE has the goods.

Last edited by Bingle; 02-13-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:38 AM

weber jetting combo

Originally Posted by suncomb1
I run the side drafts on a 20R head. Look in my album "My Toy" and you can see my motor. Side drafts are not just "Bolt On" that is why people have problems with them. Most mechanics do not understand them and many will not work on them. You have to do your "Homework" and above all patience when working on them. If you do the system right they will produce very high levels of performance and in many cases out perform fuel injection / turbo-fuel injection.
Hey..how are you doing..need a little help on my weber 45 dcoe carb setup..heres my setup on my motor..bored to 94 mm eagle rods,shaved 20r ported and polished head with the big valves from lc,527 cam lc,headers,lc distributor,msd ignition, pretty much a full setup from the ground up,i ve been working on my toyotas since i can remember and never really had trouble with them until now..these webers are a pain to tune..just need some info on jetting combos i should run for this setup..right now im running 36 chokes,140 mains,180 airs,f6 65 idle jets..cant get it to run right at idle..ur input would be appreciated..thanks.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:08 AM

Change your Main fuel jets to 145, 180 air jets are ok, change your idle jets to 60 F8 or if you need a little more 60 F9. Turn your idle mixture screws all the way close (be careful, do not overtighten when closing) and back them out 2 1/2 turns. Install new spark plugs. Set your timing 30-32 degrees total with it all in about 2000 RPM. Set your idle at 1000-1100 RPM. Start the motor and sync the carbs.
If you have a Wideband A/F Ratio gauge, set your A/F ratio at about 13:1, if not drive your truck for a while then pull the spark plugs. The spark plugs should be gray to light tan. If they are White. open each idle screw 1/4 turn. Drive the truck again then check the plugs as before. If the carbs are in sync then the truck should idle smooth, very little rock on the motor, and not have any hesitation. There are more things you can do to fine tune the carbs but the above should get you in the ball park. Let me know.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by suncomb1
Change your Main fuel jets to 145, 180 air jets are ok, change your idle jets to 60 F8 or if you need a little more 60 F9. Turn your idle mixture screws all the way close (be careful, do not overtighten when closing) and back them out 2 1/2 turns. Install new spark plugs. Set your timing 30-32 degrees total with it all in about 2000 RPM. Set your idle at 1000-1100 RPM. Start the motor and sync the carbs.
If you have a Wideband A/F Ratio gauge, set your A/F ratio at about 13:1, if not drive your truck for a while then pull the spark plugs. The spark plugs should be gray to light tan. If they are White. open each idle screw 1/4 turn. Drive the truck again then check the plugs as before. If the carbs are in sync then the truck should idle smooth, very little rock on the motor, and not have any hesitation. There are more things you can do to fine tune the carbs but the above should get you in the ball park. Let me know.
thanks for ur response!!..ok got 145 mains,180 airs,but the only idle jets i got are f8 55,f9 55, and f9 65..i purchased the plx wide band air/fuel from lc,but havent installed yet..damn!..let me know if i need to get additional idle jets other than what i got...thanks bro..will post picks of the truck soon,85 xtra cab pickup 7 inch alcan springs,detroit front and rear,4:88 gears,on 15x12 rims with parnelli jones 36-14.50-15 tires..oh yah got my fuel pressure set at 2 lbs right now.

Last edited by ilndr71; 07-28-2013 at 07:56 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:08 PM

Go with the 55 F9 you might have to turn your idle screws out 2 3/4 turns to start with but it should be close.