Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Port and polish for increased fuel economy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Port and polish for increased fuel economy?

I rarely start my own thread, but decided I would like some opinions from you guys on this one.

I've decided to purchase a new cylinder head with camshaft to make doing the swap much easier on myself since I have never rebuilt even the top end of an engine. Also didn't want to wait on a local machine shop for the resurfacing plus reseating of a burnt valve.

I think I have finally made up my mind on going with the stock head from 22REperformance.com, but couldn't decide if it was worth the extra $125 for the port work described in the following video:

[YOUTUBE]yyrahWZDscc[/YOUTUBE]

Keep in mind that I am looking to increase gas mileage over horse power.

If there are any good reasons for oversized valves or camshaft profiles contributing to increased fuel economy, then I would be glad to hear that as well... since I have only come across conflicting opinions on that topic during the course of my research so far.

Last edited by nomadic_addict; 01-22-2011 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:08 AM

What do you think about these valve seats?

I also want to see what you guys think about the custom valve seats on these cylinder heads if you have the time.

Here is the video that explains the process:

[YOUTUBE]3eYe80xnfGI[/YOUTUBE]

Also, here is the link to the webpage if you want to see the two cylinder heads that I was considering:

http://www.22reperformance.com/22RE%...r%20heads.html

Thanks to anyone willing to take their time helping me make this really important decision. Also, it would be nice to hear from anybody who has dealt with this company and any of their products.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:21 AM

Are you an early riser or have you not gone to bed yet?

I'm in a similar predicament, I'll be tuned in to this thread. Best of luck.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:17 AM

resto-noob:

I'm not a morning person... i think I logged off and went to bed right before your reply. Was up late trying to figure this one out for myself. Hopefully this thread actually gets some attention and will help us both out. Thanks for noticing it.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:59 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well I have a complete engine from them with the port and polish work. It does give more power and torque, but as far as gas milage goes, it's hard to tell. I got the engine for more power, which I know I will sacrafice in gas milage. I am getting about the same gas milage 21-25 mpg as I did before I put the new engine in. So who knows.

Here is my thread about putting the engine in for some reference, but I really didn't get any good shots of the port and polish since the engine was fully sealed when it was shipped.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...nstall-223908/

The guys at Putney's are good to work with, especially Jim. When I had mine built they were a couple of months out on orders. I really didn't mind me because I wanted the best built engine I could buy.

So far the engine has been absolutely great. I took it up to the duck camp yesterday and it held it's own everywhere.

If your not doing anything with the bottom end, I would not go with the preformance head. You will kill your bottom end in due process. The top will be upgraded and the bottom will need to be too. Just my opnion.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:42 AM

I'm curious too about how to best port the 22RE head..for more overall power& efficiency. I've only had experience w/domestic V8's & must say..these 22RE ports look awfully small & have really sharp turns No wonder the little feller won't perform! Does anyone know of a source (website/diagrams) on which areas of the ports benefit from re-shaping,as well as how much material to remove(I didn't get much from the videos).Remove too much material & you kill the velocity..or better yet..hit a water jacket . By the looks of the ports,there's definitely power to be had by opening them up(some).Sleepr71.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
any increase in volumetric efficiency or engine breathing has the capability of increasing engine efficiency (by reducing the dreaded "pumping losses" inherent in a piston engine). The only way to increase volumetric efficiency is through the cylinder head (or intake & exhaust). Now with this increased efficiency you gain horsepower, but if you don't use the ponies (keep your foot off the floor) you may very well gain some MPGs. A minor port job to the intake (intake side surface should stay rough to facilitate charge turbulence) and port/polish on the exhaust side, mostly to smooth transitions and remove sharp edges at the valve seat, will help.

I'd stay away from the larger valves unless you plan on running high load/high rpms. Smaller valves will increase turbulence / tumble and velocity of the intake charge into the cylinder resulting in a more even and thorough burn.

Originally Posted by snobdds
If your not doing anything with the bottom end, I would not go with the preformance head. You will kill your bottom end in due process. The top will be upgraded and the bottom will need to be too. Just my opnion.
Not true, that engine is so over-engineered and under-tuned you won't have any problems with the bottom end.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:06 PM

Your porter should be able to answer these questions. If not or you dont trust his word, I would look else where.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:40 PM

Thanks to all

I haven't been able to get on-line for the past week, but still wanted to thank you guys for your replies. More specifically:

snobdds: Thanks for the link. Good to see things work like they are supposed to. I have checked lots of websites and called a few places and definitely agree that the guys at Putney's seem to build the best 22re with the most pride in their work. I also found it reassuring that you are still getting the same mileage with a stage 2.

corax: Thanks a million... you explained in knowledgeable words what I think I only understood intuitively beforehand. I believe that the port/polish work you described is exactly what I'll be getting for an additional $125. I also want the stock valves for the same reason you mentioned. I am now more certain that I will be getting the best cylinder head that I could buy for what I want from my truck. Thanks again.

Sleepr71: I researched it some just to expand my own understanding of the process, but I didn't come across anything detailed enough to make me want to try it myself. However, I'll have an extra cylinder head soon that you could practice on if you wanted to buy it

etc.: Point taken... but I wanted some objective, third-party opinions/knowledge for good measure. I certainly will be asking the machinist specific questions before I place my order... and now, thanks to corax, I know exactly what to ask him.

resto-noob: Hopefully this thread helped you out too, since I got what I needed from it.

Thanks again, fellas
Old 01-29-2011, 01:21 AM

When it comes to getting heads ported, be sure to get the flow numbers
Old 03-01-2011, 09:49 PM

by flow numbers I assume you mean something along the lines of air flow in compared to airflow out? Probably measured in cubic feet per minute (cfm). This is a late reply I know, but mostly I just need to get up to 15 posts from the 8 I am at now so that I can start a new thread finally.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:58 PM

Have thought about getting engnbldr's Street RV head?
Old 03-02-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wrxnefx06
Have thought about getting engnbldr's Street RV head?
mine just came in yesterday, its soooo shinny
Old 03-03-2011, 07:53 AM

I called and talked to someone at engnbldr's, but wasn't too impressed. Putney's (22re performance) seemed to take the most pride in their work and also used the best parts. At engnbldr... they insist you use the inferior head gasket from their JD Rock set instead of a factory gasket for one. They also use a "new" instead of reground OEM camshaft, which is probly made in China and therefor garbage even though its new. I realize that alot of people have been happy with their experience with engnbldr, but then again... alot of people seemed really happy with Yodaman when I searched on here before getting the long block from them that I am now having to fix already.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:57 AM

Oh yeah, my "new" engine started to fail after only 2 years and 20,000 miles. I know other people on here have had this type of experience with engnbldr. Has anyone had any issues with Putney's (22re performance)? I haven't found any complaints about them on here as of yet, but would really like to hear about any negative experiences with them before I make a purchase.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:03 AM

Hey... this makes post #15. Thanks guys... I am going to start my first thread in the classifieds now. Crazy it took this long when I've been using this site for about 3 years now. Guess I'm more of a lurker since most info is already on here if you search hard enough.