Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Nice, level stock suspension + wheeling = SAG (and uneven at that...)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice, level stock suspension + wheeling = SAG (and uneven at that...)

Ok, I admit that I've been ridiculing all the 4runners around me that have sag. My 4runner has never shown any sag and I'm pretty sure it has the stock rear coils.

It's deer season now in SC so I've been doing my share of slinging mud and driving too fast back in the woods. In fact, I even got stuck for the first time this past week. I heard someone say that it was real hard to get a 4runner stuck. Well, I did it. It was road, bumper, truck, bumper, road. Thankfully I'm surrounded by rednecks (like myself) so a couple were even upset that I didn't call them to pull me out.

Anyway, now the truck is sagging and one side is noticeably more so than the other. The sides are different by 1/4" in the front and 3/4" in the rear. My running boards now drop 1/4" on one side and 1/2" on the other side from front to rear.

My questions: Right now I have Rancho RS5000 shocks. If I put on Downey HD Coils, do I need to replace the shocks? Right now the rancho's have 45k miles on them and are 4 years old. I like them and don't really have any complaints about the shocks. I guess I just don't understand how shocks react to changing their length. Do they just resist a change in length? I did read about needing to measure the articulation with the new springs and then order new shocks but that seems to become more labor intensive.

Since I do like to offroad I also do not want to do mods that will result in breakage of cv joints and other components. If I do anything to raise the front end, that will then result in placing more of an angle on my cv joints, increasing the wear and chance of breakage when I'm offroading correct? So that includes tundra coils, ball joint spacers, cranking torsion bars, etc...

My current plan is to just copy Cody Bair's rig from this page:
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/arti...uspension2.htm
That seems to be the best trade-off between fixing broke stuff while keeping my yota as reliable as possible. If I do have to replace my shocks then maybe I can find a good deal on bilsteins or something...