Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

New 4Runner Driver here, wanting to get some basics down.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 4Runner Driver here, wanting to get some basics down.

A lil background;

I used to have a '97 Taco Xtra CAB V6 4WD, but I got stationed overseas (Military), and I sold it to my brother (Big mistake) who within 1 year drove it into the ground and blew up the motor. I just moved back to the US last year sept., and bought a house here in North Carolina, and was able to convince my wife to let me get a small truck/SUV for doing things around the house. So I was able to find a '94 4Runner 4WD with only 137K original miles on it, and in great condition considering the age of the truck. My cousin who drives a 96 4Runner pointed me to this website as a good starting place for all things about my new toy.

I know that it is considered a 2nd Gen 4runner, my question is, are all of the 2nd gen 4runners the same the only difference being the year they were made or are there significant differences?

I had the check engine light come on and I am working to troubleshoot it using a paperclip. So far I havent been getting that to work just yet trying to make sure I have the right pins (doing more research). Anywho just wanted to say hi. Is there anything I should know about my particular truck that is good to know? I just got the tires replaced yesterday with 31x10.5R15's. I would like to get a fix for the sagging ass on it in the future, but I am on a budget from the wife. Also wanted to see if there is anyone located near Goldsboro, North Carolina that knows a thing or two about Yota's, that I could shadow and learn a thing or two from.

I look forward to stalking the forums and getting to know some peeps.

edit: I found out I have an error code 71 EGR System malfunction.

- Warren

Last edited by xenongfx; 08-31-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a set of aluminum coil spring spacers for sale to fix your rear sag their 2 inches ill sell them for $50 plus shipping
Old 08-31-2013, 04:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
-Welcome to YotaTech!-

-EGR valve is a fairly simple repair very common on these trucks.

2nd generation 4runners ranging from Years: 1990-1995. From those years the 4runners have under gone very little subtle changes. Most of the changes were cosmetic. Very few mechanical changes. Subtle changes in optional luxuries and interior. Different Air Conditioning systems in the earlier models. Some changes to ABS system if equipped. There is probably a few other small changes I'm forgetting but they are pretty much all the same.

Good Luck!
Old 09-01-2013, 12:22 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Welcome to the forum

words that scare me Budget from the wife!!
Old 09-01-2013, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Corey Barlow
I got a set of aluminum coil spring spacers for sale to fix your rear sag their 2 inches ill sell them for $50 plus shipping

I would love to get that from you Corey, but as I stated I am on a budget right now, plus I gotta get this whole EGR Malfunction fixed. But I will keep you in mind.

I was able to find a link to checking the whole EGR system and 2 things I found right away were cracked rubber tubing and one really dirty Vacuum Mod Filter. I think I can replace those for cheap np. Thanks for the help and the info!

Last edited by xenongfx; 09-01-2013 at 05:47 AM.