Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Moog Ball Joints

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Moog Ball Joints

First off, let me say thanks to all the people on here that have posted some much great info, it is amazing what you can learn on this site.

I just replace the upper and lower driver side ball joints on my truck and have noticed that it is now about half an inch higher than it was before. Is this common?

Also, I ordered (Amazon) Moog replacements, but I am now questioning if the upper was actually some other brand in a Moog box. The lower has the "problem solver" lettering on the top, but the upper joint does not. Do they all have the lettering? It is simply blank on top.

Any help is greatly appreciated. This is my first post, so I hope it is in the correct section.
Old 12-13-2015, 07:09 AM

Also, my truck is a 1989 4x4 3.0. I checked the build date, and ordered the appropriate parts for a pre 4/89 truck.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:10 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Are you sure the stems got fully seated? Didn't install BJ spacers while you did it, did you? Got any pics?

IIRC the 86-96 4wd trucks all use the same upper/lower BJs, so the part should be correct even though you specified ordering the pre-89 part when you have an 89-95 vehicle.
Moog doesn't always make their own parts, they simply rebox another brand sometimes. Very common, but the specs should be the same unless you got something different somehow. I do know the Moog BJ for the 4wd trucks looks pretty different than other brands - the shape of the rubber and the zerk fitting are what I recall.

I just installed all new front end parts on my 75 Hilux, Moog was the only brand I could find for all the parts - inside was all Sankei "555" parts like I wanted, which in the past I'd find reboxed for brands like Beck Arnley. When I did my 4wd truck I got Beck Arnley BJs off Amazon and they were "555" also.
Old 12-13-2015, 08:16 AM

Old 12-13-2015, 08:26 AM

The rubber boot was a PITA to get on even prior to instillation. As you can see, it slide of and I will have to skip it back on. As far as it not being seated, it certainly seems as if it was in there as far as it could be. Any way to know for sure?
I asked the guys at autozone, and they said it could be a combination of the olds ones being very worn down and the new ones having a slightly longer stem. He vouched for the moog as well. The old upper joint was so bad that I could move it around a good bit. It made the tire feel like a loose wheel bearing. I'm assuming it's original and had almost 200k.
Old 12-14-2015, 02:45 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
I'm a strong believer in the OEM ball joints. They usually last 200,000 miles or more, and they don't break the bank if you buy online. Also, the boot design is way better. I bought the Moogs the first time I did mine. Like you said, the boot is a pain in the butt to install. Also, they both tore in less than two years. The lower ball joint boots have an even worse design. They don't even clamp onto the housing, they just rub against it. Maybe okay for a street truck but if you ever go off road you had better grease them up after every single trip. I did and the stuff that came out was always watered down and nasty. And finally, the lower ball joints developed play in less than two years. This is what prompted me to replace them with OEM. At that time the uppers were still tight but the torn boot required constant greasing. I was pretty fed up with the Moog ones. I would never recommend them to anyone. My OEM ones were only installed about two years ago, but they don't leak and they don't have play.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:35 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
It seems like there was a time, just a few years ago, when Moog where the brand to use. Everyone recommended them. And if you just do a quick search, you're likely to find those recommendations.

But if you search a little harder, you'll find that in the last few years, people are having terrible experiences with Moog and are not recommending them anymore.

As far as knowing whether or not it seated, did you tighten it to the correct torque? That's the only way I know of to know.

Autozone sucks. That doesn't mean that someone working there doesn't know what they're talking about...but I look at them the way I look at Walmart. Good place to go for a great price. But they mostly carry crap. I don't go there unless they're the only auto parts store in a town.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:03 AM

I did indeed use the correct torques specks.
I'm with you on the cheap parts at Autozone, but I just needed to grab some more grease, and the guy I spoke with was unusually impressive on the matter. Looks like I may replace the other side to try and level the front end out? The truck is just a hunting/fishing rig, not a hard off roader. That being said, I don't want them to break on the way to the lake!
Old 12-14-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
I wheeled with mine a decent amount. I don't think you have anything to fear as far as breaking goes, I just hated the clunk as the ball bounced around in the socket. Just keep an eye on them and keep them greased.
Old 12-14-2015, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by arlindsay1992
I wheeled with mine a decent amount. I don't think you have anything to fear as far as breaking goes, I just hated the clunk as the ball bounced around in the socket. Just keep an eye on them and keep them greased.
I'm sure you are correct, but I've had two ball joints bust, in another vehicle, on me while driving down the road before. I know they're unrelated, but I was incredibly lucky before and something like that is always in the back of your mind.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:57 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Moog quality has really fallen off in the last 10 years or so.

Back in the eighties they were the go to for Suspension parts .

I installed new Toyota Ball joints in my 92 4 runner I figure once and done.

With more and more parts made in China I go to Toyota for all most all the important parts