Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Maintenance Tool Kit for a Beginner

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintenance Tool Kit for a Beginner

Hello,

I just bought my 1999 4Runner one week ago. It is my first Toyota. It's been very well maintained, has 279K and is in fantastic condition. Oh it's also a manual transmission, I am not sure if that is pertinent to answer my question. Since purchasing and driving in the past week, I really want to learn how to do maintenance and minor repairs myself. I have no experience, but have ordered a Chilton manual. I was thinking of getting a wrench set, socket set, socket extenders and spark plug socket to start my tool kit. I was wondering if anyone has any more input for my beginner tool kit?

Thanks in Advance!

Rachel
Old 03-17-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Rachel - the truck in your avatar looks great. And heck yes, get that tool collection started! Almost every bolt on these trucks is metric, there are a few, like the seatbelt bolts I think that are not. 10mm, 12mm, 14mm are the most common and cover most things, 17mm and 19mm are good for the larger suspension stuff. So yeah, a good socket set and some box wrenches will get you pretty far. A big breaker bar, like 24" is handy for things like stubborn oil drain plugs. A torque wrench is good to have. I mean you could go crazy and get everything under the sun. My brother bought one of those like $99 craftsman mechanics 100 or 200 piece sets and it has most of what he needs. No matter how many tools you have, you'll always find more that you need!
Old 03-17-2017, 11:02 AM

Thank you for the response! Yes the truck I got is beautiful and I feel very lucky to have found it (===> not sure of gender yet). I'll post a better pic this weekend that is not in a Wal-Mart parking lot! After 2 BMWs, 2 Hondas and a Subaru, this is my 6th vehicle and I've never had the urge to work on one of my own. Very excited to add more mods to this truck. I already have a list of things I want to do that equal more than I paid for it!!!
Old 03-17-2017, 11:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A factory service manual from the dealer is an invaluable tool to have and they are reasonably priced, (under $100). Also so many good folks on here to help with questions that come up. If you have a Sears near you, here is a decent start for your tools:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-289pc...9&blockType=G9

Very nice 4runner btw. Enjoy it!
Old 03-17-2017, 01:33 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I have many combinations of Craftsman and Snap On tools but I end up getting things I need from Harbor Freight more often than not. Craftsman is now made in China so there's no advantage to paying more for it. Harbor Freight has many tool kits according to your budget. I think this one is comparable and if you google for a 20% off coupon you would get this for $104. I have their breaker bar and it comes in handy. My torque wrench is old made in USA Craftsman. You mainly need phillips head screwdrivers and 10mm,11mm, 12mm, and 13mm sockets for your 4Runner. Get some Liquid Wrench or Kroil for coaxing stuck bolts. If you don't live near a Harbor Freight they do on line sales. They are also good for nitrile gloves, 100 for $6.99. Save your hands.

http://www.harborfreight.com/225-pc-...set-62664.html

Old 03-17-2017, 01:47 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Chinese slave labor made tools are better than none, but Id like to make a case for something else.

In the first place, why would any American want to support the economy of a totalitarian state??

There can be little objection to any imported goods that come from nations where there is a high standard of living, but this is certainly not the case with china.

In the second place, these chinese tools are worthless, from a resale standpoint as soon as you walk out of the store with them.

I would propose that you seek out used, first class mechanics tools from craigslist,pawn shops, or from friends and aquaintances. Snap-on, Matco, Cornwell, Mac, and similar.

When new, these lifetime tools are super expensive, and when found used, they are still quite a bit more expensive than chinese junk tools, BUT.....

You will always be able to resell them for very near what you paid, if it is necessary to sell them again.

We won't even get into what injury, or damage can be caused when an inferior tool breaks while you are using it.

Cheap tools are a false economy, while second hand top of the line tools, are a savings account.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting topic. I've got every tool I'll ever need in my shop but the great thing about a Toyota is that you only need a few tools to do 90% of the work. Here are a couple pics of my tool kit I carry with me in my 89 or my 02 4Runner. I can change the oil in any component, change plugs, wheels, disassemble almost any part of the body, and repair broken wires and switches.

Inside are some metric end wrenches size 8mm-14mm. Small set of Stanley metric sockets and a 3/8 ratchet, screwdrivers, crescent wrench, spark plug socket and extension, 10mm hex socket for differentials, wire pliers along with some wire and terminals, a rocker switch and a road flare. Probably some other stuff but you get the idea. My favorite thing about these trucks is how little you need to maintain them. A 1/2" torque wrench is something everybody needs at the house though. Invest in one of those and follow the torque specs in the manual or you'll also need to invest in a good drill and some metric taps.

Oh and by the way. Looking at that tool kit up there made me think of a joke I heard this week.

What do you call a guy who robs a Harbor Freight?

Pittsburgh Stealer...
Attached Thumbnails Maintenance Tool Kit for a Beginner-tool-kit-1.jpg   Maintenance Tool Kit for a Beginner-tool-kit-2.jpg  
Old 03-17-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Welcome to YotaTech!

I think a fairly basic set of tools for most things Toyota include:
  • An assortment of screw drivers
  • Metric combination wrench set (you can buy an 8 piece or so set now and always expand later; ratcheting wrenches are nice but not required)
  • Metric socket set (could include an assortment of 3/8", 1/4" and 1/2" drives which are awesome to have, but only a 3/8" is absolutely needed for regular use and 1/2" for a torque wrench)
  • Socket extensions and adapters
  • Spark plug socket
  • Ratchets (can be purchased as part of the socket set or separately)
  • Adjustable wrench
  • An assortment of pliers - regular, needle nose, vice grips
  • Quality 1/2" drive torque wrench (you will need 1/2" drive sockets)
  • Hammers - ball peen, rubber mallet
  • Breaker bar (These help you break stuck fasteners loose with more leverage than a ratchet and saves your ratchet from breaking)
  • Pry bars
  • Some sort of lighting like a shop light, flashlight, etc
  • Floor jack and jack stands
  • Multimeter (for electrical troubleshooting)

There are probably several more tools that people on here use regularly. This is just what I thought of right now.

As far as what brand of tools, I just say buy the best tools you can afford at the time of purchase. Snap-on, Matco, Cornwell, Mac, and others are awesome tools but are still pretty pricey for most people starting out, even used ones. I do not own any of the automotive premium brands as of now simply because I cannot afford it (college student ya know). You can buy many of these tools in sets (either as metric only sets or SAE and metric). Most of my tools are Craftsman and Kobalt (from Lowes), and some from Harbor Freight.

There is no need to buy all of these tools in one shopping spree. I suggest you do as I did and buy the tools as you need them.

You will come to find that you can never have enough tools!

The Factory Service Manual is the best manual to help guide you but the one you ordered should be just fine for normal maintenance.

Good luck and create a build-up thread when you start adding mods!

Old 03-18-2017, 01:50 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have to agree with Charchee lets not go crazy here .

Like anything else one never has enough tools the more involved repairs the more one needs

Just how much will you be doing to start ?? Buy as your needs grow .

I was one way back then for buying complete sets the number of 13 mm 15mm 16mm wrenches and sockets I never used are now in one card board box

Two good JIS screw drivers can save you many ruined screws .

Another thing starting out the larger set of Irwin or similar sockets for rounded and the wrong fastners

really as one goes you build as you need 10 12 14 17 wrenches and shallow and deep sockets will do about 95 % of what a person just starting out might likely do

Although people tend to at times to use what hardware they can find

when my helper was pulling parts this was the basic set I gave her

Then the odds and ends like a spark plug socket different length extensions

Oil filter wrench of some sort

Good pliers for the spring type hose clamps

What can I say but I agree 100% with what Millball says

Most all my Tools are Tool Truck Tools I had great Snapon and Matco Tool dealers then I bought a bunch more off Ebay and Craigs List and people I know hard up for Cash
Old 03-20-2017, 06:26 PM

I picked up my Factory Service Manual from eBay for around $80, since then I've seen them for as low as $40. They're out there and they have plenty of space to write notes in them as you change things or discover things you need to remember for later.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:19 PM

Thank you everyone for your responses! As much as I would like to throw down the money for a great set of tools, I have more pressing issues right now. I have experienced stereo malfunctions over the weekend and as the 4Runner is now my daily driver, I can't have a malfunctioning stereo. I'm glad I joined the site - what a great resource. I'm really excited to add mods to this truck and get her out on some Colorado trails!
Old 03-20-2017, 07:36 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Congrats on a good acquisition. Nice truck!
Originally Posted by coryc85
R...Almost every bolt on these trucks is metric, there are a few, like the seatbelt bolts I think that are not. ...My brother bought one of those like $99 craftsman mechanics 100 or 200 piece sets and it has most of what he needs. ...!
Oh no! That's not for beginner set
However, I paid about $100 for my Craftsman set in the late 80's, then when I realized I did not need about half of it (the English ones), I sold them for about $35.

Originally Posted by Charchee
Interesting topic. I've got every tool I'll ever need in my shop but the great thing about a Toyota is that you only need a few tools to do 90% of the work. Here are a couple pics of my tool kit I carry with me in my 89 or my 02 4Runner. I can change the oil in any component, change plugs, wheels, disassemble almost any part of the body, and repair broken wires and switches
What do you call a guy who robs a Harbor Freight?
Pittsburgh Stealer...
LOL!
Same here, Charchee... Now I have a minimal tool set that can probably handle everything short of an engine or transmission swap.

Originally Posted by RDenker28
... I have experienced stereo malfunctions over the weekend and as the 4Runner is now my daily driver, I can't have a malfunctioning stereo. !
Regarding electrical, I strongly recommend a multi-meter, even the one made in the communist bully of Asia.
Also a decent wire cutter-stripper combo. I have used this Klein Tools style for many years and haven't found anything better. It cuts and safely strips the appropriate AWG, then crimp. You can find a similar one for less money.
For slices, I prefer to securely twist my wires together for then solder them, so I've always had a 13-watt soldering iron.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:57 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Ya, who cares wether it runs well or not, if there's no tunes.

That loud music is just the thing to mask the sound of failing components.

There was a time my priorities were on my sound system...... but I eventually got tired of walking back from remote places.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:08 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I can`t drive without my 8 track player !!
Old 03-21-2017, 07:46 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Originally Posted by millball
Ya, who cares whether it runs well or not, if there's no tunes.

That loud music is just the thing to mask the sound of failing components.

There was a time my priorities were on my sound system...... but I eventually got tired of walking back from remote places.
I think the OP said that she wanted to learn how to do some maintenance but didn't need to do any right now.

As far as we know, the stereo is the only thing not working.

But I do have to agree if there are more serious issues, those need to be addressed first.

Originally Posted by wyoming9
I can`t drive without my 8 track player !!
Everybody needs a working 8 track player!

Old 03-21-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Forget 8-track - It's obsolete. This is what I want...

Seriously, wanna get one someday.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:39 AM

If this is going to be your only vehicle and you do plan on doing some maintenance yourself, I recommend "better" quality, not "best quality" tools. The is nothing that stinks more than wrenching on something and having a tool break (I've broken a ton of craftsman ratchets, all of my harbor freight stuff I've used, cheap no name chinese tools, very rarely do I break snap on tools). depending how far you are into the job, the vehicle might not be driveable and if you dont have spare tools, your stuck trying to bum rides from neighbors or friends. I've had harbor freight stuff break within the first few minutes of using it, pawn shop craftsman is decent, Williams tools are good(snap on half brand), Kobalt, Carlyle Tools from Napa are really good (Just recently started using them, machining looks great, finish looks great, and so far they are holding up excellent). Make sure you get a good quality ratchet no matter what sockets you go with, craftsman ratchets stink, I've heard good things about gearwrench, all the major tool brands, personally I have snap on and love them, never had the internal ring gear give out on them and bust my knuckles and I do abuse them. My boss has some carlyle ones and they seem top quality so far.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my job as the equipment and maintenance manager of a large scale logging operation, I am constantly buying tools to outfit individual logging jobs as well as my shop. I seem to have found a balance between the highest quality tools and the cheap ones. I have a budget for tooling and it will not allow all Snap On tools but I do try and spend every penny of my budget as smart as can. Here are a few, well tested, tool reviews.

Like Reed23, I like a lot of the stuff from NAPA. I use some high end impact tools in the shop but outfit all of my jobs with NAPA Pro series tools. We have had some lost or stolen but have only had one warranty return on an air tool from there. That was likely due to the rudimentary air supply on that job. I'm now buying all of my end wrenches on Amazon. Tecton is a cheap supplier but I have had nothing but good luck with their wrenches and I can outfit an entire job with a full set for $100 or less and that's 3/8 to 2" plus metrics. I also buy my pry bar sets from them. I did buy a couple Craftsman 150 piece kits for a couple job foremen but have had the same results that I have been having with mine at home and that's decent sockets and ratchets known to fail.

When it comes to impact sockets and extensions, I buy the best thing I can put my hands on. It's important that they do their job and also that they don't get somebody hurt. I also go high end on ease-outs and taps. I have Snap On taps and ease outs. They do cost a fortune but they have gotten me out of some binds that you would never believe. I rarely ever break them but when I do, I just call my salesman and I have new ones ready for me on Thursday.

My point to all of that is that there is a time when a $200 ratchet is the tool you need and a time when a $2 end wrench is the only tool for the job. Odds are that both of them will be there when The Lord comes back. Just ask yourself, is the tool safe? Is it effective? Anything else is up to you. Just don't buy Snap On tools or any other premium brand because someone else tells you to. Make up your own mind. I'm not going to risk spreading information that may have changed since my tour, but there are half a dozen or more brands of tools that are stamped in the same factory that those $75 Snap On wrenches.

I didn't think they made these anymore but this thread got me thinking about the best tool kit I have ever owned. I just did a google search and turns out you can buy the exact kit that my best buddy gave me for my wedding present 14 years ago. I have used them every day since and have never had one piece of it break nor have I ever had one of these ratchets malfunction in any way. The 1/2 ratchet has had a 6' cheater pipe on it too many times to count. They have lived in a dozen different boxes and have been abused to no end. Definitely worth a look. I'm about to buy several of them.
http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDi...FdC3wAodswYJSw
Old 03-25-2017, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Charchee

but there are half a dozen or more brands of tools that are stamped in the same factory that those $75 Snap On wrenches.
Not true snap on has plants that make their tools and no one elses
Old 03-25-2017, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by SwVa_1stGen
Not true snap on has plants that make their tools and no one elses
he must have confused where snap on makes tier half brands like williams tools, which also brands Case International tools