Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Lower Front End Submerged In Water

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Lower Front End Submerged In Water

Hey. I am TRF. I am new to the forums. What drew me here is the knowledgeability and helpfulness of the community. I have a rather stupid question to ask. Today, While driving a dirt road I checked out a couple months ago on my ATV (fall time and it was smooth and dry), I hit a patch of ice. For some reason or another, There was a LOT of water under that patch. I instantly went through with my 99 Tacoma V6 SR5 TRD. Quickly shifted into reverse to pull out and no luck with 4low. Anyway, Quickly figured out I wasn't going anywhere. ( I left it running). The water on my driver’s side was just below the door and to the top of my tire (265/75-15). Passenger side was up the hub. The rear wasn't even touching the rims. The exhaust was not submerged nor was the intake. It was freezing water too, it was 20 degrees out. I ended up leaving it running and calling a friend to be pulled out. All in all, Damage done that I can see, cracked front bumper/lower turn signal, dented skid plate, and slightly bent upward rear bumper from the pull out. I left it running about 25 minutes that deep before I was pulled out. I checked the oil DIPSTICK for milk color and did not find any. Would it be apparent on the dipstick? Also, what else should I inspect that may be damaged? She drove just find home, albeit a lot of steam. At home, upon a restart after a few hours, I shifted into drive and she just revved for about half a second before clunking into drive, however that was the only occasion (I’m thinking ice on the drive shaft). I’m really worried I may have damaged something I can’t see; would anybody have any suggestions on how to make sure she has a clean bill of health? I find myself really lucky that no water was ingested or touched any electronics!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:10 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I don't want to just say "you're truck is fine" but, your truck is fine.

Your engine is sealed. Your front diff is sealed and has a breather up to the hood and so does your transmission. Your wheel bearings are sealed.

I've taken my truck through rivers. Water half way up the doors. No ill effects.

Don't worry about it.

Regarding the trans, depending on when it was last services it may simply be due for a fluid flush and filter change.

Old 12-12-2013, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by scuba
I don't want to just say "you're truck is fine" but, your truck is fine.

Your engine is sealed. Your front diff is sealed and has a breather up to the hood and so does your transmission. Your wheel bearings are sealed.

I've taken my truck through rivers. Water half way up the doors. No ill effects.

Don't worry about it.

Regarding the trans, depending on when it was last services it may simply be due for a fluid flush and filter change.

Exactly, I remember the first time i was glad to have a bouyant (somewhat) vehicle.
your truck is fine, certainly. but, like scuba said... you might just need a flush and filter change. no big deal.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know much about that generation Toyota, but I assume it doesn't have manual hubs so check for vacuum lines on the front axle being disconnected. That might explain why you didn't have 4 wheel drive.

Get under it, look around for anything that just doesn't look right.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:23 PM

check the tranny fluid. it may have taken a drink of water through the breather.
Old 12-13-2013, 05:35 AM

Thank you for the encouragement guys! It sure makes me feel a lot better! I checked out the auto transmission this morning and it looks perfectly clean (it was changed a few thousand miles ago). Seems to be good! Now all I have to worry about are the differentials and the wheel bearings. I have been getting some mixed thoughts on the bearings as I have done boat trailer bearings quite a bit and know how cold water reacts with a hot bearing!
I am very grateful for the fast replies!
Old 12-13-2013, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
With the ADD system, the front wheels have to roll a bit for the coupler to engage and lock the 4WD in. I learned this the hard way about 72 hours after I bought my 4Runner.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:15 PM
osv

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
you had it in 4wd when you hit the water? if the front diff was hot from being used, and it hit cold water, i'm thinking that the air inside the diff would suddenly contract, and try to suck in more air from outside.

with a large temp difference like that, the breather may not be big enough to handle the amount of air exchange that's called for, so the resulting vacuum may suck water in around the front transaxle seals.

i'd drain the gear lube up there, at the minimum, and take a look at the power steering fluid & brake/clutch fluid as well.