Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Just bought a 91 and I dont know what something is...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofer
How is having the gear ratio in his sig going to help in this situation..... and honestly nobody really cares what kind of oil you have in your diff.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:28 PM

if it matters im running castrol gtx high mileage in my engine 10w-30.....so is this button thing good bad does it matter....does it mean a bloen head gasket before.....rebuilt engine...anything...thanks for all the help so far!!
Old 01-23-2008, 05:31 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
GTX HM is good stuff. i run it in both my rigs. I'm on dialup (well actaully i've hacked AT&T networks but whatever ) so i cant look at pics right now. i'll look when i get off the bus and i'm at home. by button do you mean you can push it in? or is more like a freeze plug.... (i probablly should wait till i see pics before trying to help... lol)
Old 01-23-2008, 05:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any pictures of the truck by the way?? I agree on that temp sensor thing.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:32 PM

X3 on the Castrol HM....been debating if I should swith to the Mobil 1 HM
Old 01-23-2008, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ILOVEtrux
if it matters im running castrol gtx high mileage in my engine 10w-30.....so is this button thing good bad does it matter....does it mean a bloen head gasket before.....rebuilt engine...anything...thanks for all the help so far!!
Since the dealer didnt perform the recall. Its hard to find out if it was rebuilt. Sombody might have blown a hg and got it repaired by another shop or did it themselves. You might want to let toyota do the recall on the truck, I thought they stopped offering it all together.
I'l let other guys chime in on this one though..
Old 01-23-2008, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by ILOVEtrux
I had the dealer run my vin and they never did the recall on it...they said i can take it in and they will do it for me
if they have never done it, an it has that temp plug, means someone already did your HG. An that person did not know that the stealership will do one for free. I say... ride it till it blows the HG, then take it to the stealership and get it fixed for free when you need it, instead of getting a HG for free when u dont.

That kinda pissed me off, i had my HG done back in the day, when they came out with that TSB/ Recall, i thought they were actually fixing the heads, or changing them, nope. all you got was a free HG job, maybe a diff type of HG material. But still what a rip off, you take it in an get it when you dont then (in my case) a few years it blows again, and guess what " oh youve already used your free HG card" LOL. sorry to rant...
Old 01-23-2008, 05:50 PM

I got my HG done by the dealer just a few months ago when i bought my truck. They still offered that and steering rod relay as well. Now thinking about it I wish i would of waited until I blew it. But oh well its done for now and hopefully it will last awhile....if not i guess the 3.4 is going in...what a bummer
Old 01-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Martinez1982
I say... ride it till it blows the HG, then take it to the stealership and get it fixed for free when you need it, instead of getting a HG for free when u dont.
Dont think they are still covering that recall anymore.

But yeah, thats a temp marker. On my 22RE it's on the side of the block too.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by desertyodaboy
I got my HG done by the dealer just a few months ago when i bought my truck. They still offered that and steering rod relay as well. Now thinking about it I wish i would of waited until I blew it. But oh well its done for now and hopefully it will last awhile....if not i guess the 3.4 is going in...what a bummer
Mannn o man, dont get me started, a while back i had that relay rod done, and tell me why these knuckle heads used a pickle fork to remove it, damaging the boots on the inner rods. I do my own oil changes for a reason, I know whats goin on down there, the next time i did my oil change the inner boots had two cuts in them on opposite sides, an grease comin out. I went back to the dealer ship an they denied ever using a pickle fork. i didnt persue it any further, i shouldve, but i just decided to never go there again. and anybody in the area: it was Antioch Toyota.

Last edited by Mr_Martinez1982; 01-23-2008 at 05:56 PM. Reason: sorry to steal your thread ilovetrux
Old 01-23-2008, 06:00 PM

Yeah im not a big fan either. Not with toyota but with my girlfriends jetta....the VW dealer was awful...she has a 2006 jetta POS by the way....but her ac vents were bubbling and cracking so we take it in and they tried to tell us that we had the heater on to hot and it was bubbling the plastic and causing it to flake....so we need to lower the heat WTF??? CLOVIS VW sucks

Last edited by desertyodaboy; 01-23-2008 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by EWAYota
Dont think they are still covering that recall anymore.

I talked to the dealer and they told me that they will still cover the HG recall and do it for free. I still do not understand what this temp thing is. Can I have more detail?? Sorry im a newbie at all this. I guess im just a youngin
Old 01-23-2008, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

If your engine has a warranty on it and you overheated the engine (that would void the warranty), that heat stamp will fall out and they will know that the engine was overheated. You would have to cook the engine pretty good though, as in, tried to destroy it to claim the warranty. Simple overheated engine won't do it, ie, bad water pump.

Last edited by EWAYota; 01-23-2008 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

Yah, they still do it. A co-worker had his replaced last month a 93 4Runner with 172,000.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:11 PM

So does this mean that the engine was rebuilt?? or just a HG job??
Old 01-23-2008, 06:12 PM

only way to know would be to ask the previous owner. an since you got it from the dealership, youll never know.
Old 01-23-2008, 06:43 PM

Maybe you can try to talk to the dealer you bought it from and see if they know how they got it. Who knows they might know the owner that way you can ask him about it
Old 01-23-2008, 09:18 PM

Put some pictures up of the rig
Old 01-24-2008, 03:20 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tofer
How is having the gear ratio in his sig going to help in this situation..... and honestly nobody really cares what kind of oil you have in your diff.
It won't... in this case. Just trying to help in general since this is his first post.

...and as far as oil type, I can remove that info if you feel so strongly about it, but it could be worse... I could be advertising the fact that I have Chevy truck and Ford sedan parts in my Runner.

Last edited by GSGALLANT; 01-24-2008 at 03:27 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:47 AM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GSGALLANT
... it could be worse... I could be advertising the fact that I have Chevy truck and Ford sedan parts in my Runner.
yes, because nobody runs 63" cheby springs and Ford Taurus electrical fan mod here....

back on topic: I'm on the fence on when you should take to the dealership for the HG recall. yes it makes sense to wait till it goes, but at the same time, the dealership is less likely to do it the longer you wait.

Last edited by Tofer; 01-24-2008 at 06:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 91 and I dont know what something is...HELP