Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

I'm new to 4WD - can I get some pointers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm new to 4WD - can I get some pointers?

I'm considering buying a used 1999 4runner, SR5, automatic transmission, 4WD. I've never driven a 4WD before. Can I get some pointers about shifting between modes, when to do it, etc - the basics I need to make the most of the 4WD without trashing the car? Also, I thought there would be an option to lock the differential when driving on sand/snow, but apparently that's only on the 1999 limited 4wd?

Thanks!

Last edited by pendrag; 04-07-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the 99-00 Limiteds and 01+ 4Runners all have a center differential. Yours doesn't. No big deal, though.

As far as 4WD pointers, make sure never to engage 4WD on dry pavement. On loose gravel, dirt, snow, etc., it's not a problem, but never on dry pavement. Also, you can shift on the fly, and depending on which transfer case lever you have (push-button or j-shift), the max shift on the fly points will differ, but generally speaking try to do it below 40MPH.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:33 PM

and p.s. don't wait til your stuck to put it in. (note to self) lol.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:46 PM

save up until you can afford to do what you want done right the first time..nothing worse than doing something cheap and paying for it in the end.. you want a lift, figure out what tires you want to run and how big. save up get the better grade lift kit. want to do an engine upgrade? do it right. save until you can get quality parts. listen to enough folk on this site. you will learn that doing it quick or cheaply will affect you in the end. and if you dont know what to do ASK!! someone will always know the answer.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:55 AM

haha, wolfrunner, you totally missed the question...
just drive the thing like you would a normal truck, but if you find yourself in a situation where you think extra traction would be helpful, put it in 4 wheels before you plow through it..., although i do wonder why we use 4WD on solid, dry rocks, but it's a no-no to use it on pavement?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:03 PM

Well what do you plan on using it for?

If you plan on taking it wheeling a bunch then you will ocassionally get the use of it. Just with anything wheeling trips will get funnier/more natural over time. It is a fun hobby!

As far as using 4wd. Like has been stated before, don't use 4wd on the pavement. The reason is the 4wd will cause things to bind especially when trying to turn. If there is loose surface for the wheels to slip like on gravel, snow, sand, dirt hills, etc. then it is fine since there won't be binding since the wheels can slip.

As far as putting it into 4wd. Im not sure about your particular model but i usually always stop to put the truck into 4-lo range. As far as 4-Hi range you should be able to do that while moving, but i am not sure.

Last edited by 904_runner; 04-08-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
If it came with an owners manual, read thru it! You'll be just fine!
Old 04-12-2009, 03:24 PM

get a snatch strap, never go wheeling with just only your truck unless you have a backup plan

i usually stop to put my truck in 4lo or 4hi, but that's just me.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:04 PM

Sorry if my original post was confusing. I'm not planning to go wheeling other than on the odd icy dirt road in the mountains. I was just referring to when it's okay to use 4WD in a highway driving situation. I just bought a 1999 SR5 4x4 for my wife and we're both new to 4WD vehicles. As I understand it at this point, when it's just regular dry pavement, she should be in 2WD mode, then if it's rainy or slick, 4WD high is okay for driving on pavement, and 4WD low should only be used on gravel, sand, ice or the like (i.e., off of the pavement). Also, she should be stopped before shifting to 4-low, and either slow or stopped to shift into 4-hi? Any speed limit when driving in 4WD high?

Do I have it right?
Old 04-14-2009, 01:23 PM

In general, on the highway, or any paved roadway, unless there are severely poor condition's like compact snow, heavy ice, etc, I don't use 4WD, and I dont consider rain that poor of a condition, however I am from Western WA and we see more than our fair share of it.

And in every driving condition, remember that 4WD can get you going, it will NOT however help you stop any better no matter what kind of 4WD system you have. The brakes are the same no matter if you are in 2 or 4WD
Old 04-14-2009, 02:56 PM

Where we are in Georgia, we tend to have a ton of rain dumped down on us all at once, so we get significant standing water on the roads near our home. Is 4WD appropriate for that?
Old 04-14-2009, 03:23 PM

I live in Charleston, SC and we experience HEAVY flooding anytime the tide is up and the rain dumps down. I frequently go through bumper to hood level water in 2WD only in an urban setting. 4WD wouldn't offer you too much benefit unless the water you're crossing has a soggy/ slippery bottom or a noticeable current- any standing water not on the road my require 4WD. NOTE WELL- DO NOT attempt to cross deep water in your stock 4Runner. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/images/smilies/nono.gif I have a snorkel on mine which allows for deep water crossings. If you go through anything deeper than maybe 1.5 feet you run a real risk of getting water in your engine and hydro-locking it, i.e. ruining it. You can also allow water to get into your front and rear differential housing if you don't relocate the stock vents on them up to a higher point on the vehicle. This should not be a problem in standard wet weather or mild standing water situations. Use good judgment and your Toyota will get you home every time.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
With part time 4WD, you basically only want to use it where traction is low enough that tires are slipping. Since there is no center differential you need to have some slipping of the tires in order to prevent the drive train from binding due to high traction. Why would binding occur? Simple, go out in an empty parking lot and drive through a puddle of water then make a sharp u-turn. Then stop and hop out and look at the tire tracks. Notice how the rear tires follow a tighter arc than the fronts. That means the rear tires traveled a shorter distance than the fronts and thus the rear axle made fewer rotations than the front and likewise the rear driveshaft made fewer turns than the front. But the transfer case directly connects the front and rear driveshafts in 4WD and since no slipping can occur there, the gears and what not in the t-case binds up unless tires can slip and relieve the stress.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by wolfrunner
save up until you can afford to do what you want done right the first time..nothing worse than doing something cheap and paying for it in the end.. you want a lift, figure out what tires you want to run and how big. save up get the better grade lift kit. want to do an engine upgrade? do it right. save until you can get quality parts. listen to enough folk on this site. you will learn that doing it quick or cheaply will affect you in the end. and if you dont know what to do ASK!! someone will always know the answer.

very good posting
Old 04-15-2009, 05:24 PM

Excellent description 4crawler, a good way to visualise why diffs are needed.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by 4Crawler
With part time 4WD, you basically only want to use it where traction is low enough that tires are slipping. Since there is no center differential you need to have some slipping of the tires in order to prevent the drive train from binding due to high traction. Why would binding occur? Simple, go out in an empty parking lot and drive through a puddle of water then make a sharp u-turn. Then stop and hop out and look at the tire tracks. Notice how the rear tires follow a tighter arc than the fronts. That means the rear tires traveled a shorter distance than the fronts and thus the rear axle made fewer rotations than the front and likewise the rear driveshaft made fewer turns than the front. But the transfer case directly connects the front and rear driveshafts in 4WD and since no slipping can occur there, the gears and what not in the t-case binds up unless tires can slip and relieve the stress.

I think you're talking about the lever/button type like the 1999 limited, but not the 1999 SR5 lever version. From what the manual is saying, it's okay to use H4 on roads that are just wet.

How do you tell if you've got A.D.D. or not?

The 1999 limited has 4 modes: H2/H4 -- H4L -- (N) -- L4L

The 1999 SR5 has 3 modes: H2 -- H4 -- (N) -- L4
(I have this one)

Old 04-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by pendrag
I think you're talking about the lever/button type like the 1999 limited, but not the 1999 SR5 lever version. From what the manual is saying, it's okay to use H4 on roads that are just wet.

How do you tell if you've got A.D.D. or not?

The 1999 limited has 4 modes: H2/H4 -- H4L -- (N) -- L4L

The 1999 SR5 has 3 modes: H2 -- H4 -- (N) -- L4
(I have this one)
Look at your front hubs (or at least where the hubs should be). If there is no Lock-Unlock dial, you have ADD. ADD is part time 4WD (i.e. you have no center differential to allow 4WD use full time).

Use 4WD any time you have low enough traction to where wheels can slip. It is not like you'll break anything on pavement in 4WD, but you can bind things up to the point it'll feel like the brakes are on or where you have trouble steering. As long as you are going fairly straight on wet pavement, probably OK, but don't, for example, try pulling into a tight parking space or throw a u-turn in 4WD on pavement, wet or dry.

Basically if I am in mixed bare pavement and ice/snow conditions, I lock my front hubs and then shift into 4WD on the snowy sections of road and pop it out of 4WD when I cross over to the bare pavement. Now on gravel or dirt roads, I'll leave it in 4WD all day long.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:58 PM

its almost garanteed that something you dont want to happen... will happen.. in 4x4