Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

How off-road capable are 1st Gen 4Runners with IFS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How off-road capable are 1st Gen 4Runners with IFS?

I'm currently shopping for a 1st gen 4runner for around $2000-2500. The role I see this filling will be to get me around in poor weather (I live on a steep road that ices over during the winter) and be capable enough to do some light and maybe medium wheeling (I don't know the difference too well). It will probably be driven daily, at least for a little while, though I do have other vehicles.

I used to have an '81 Toyota 4x4 pickup lifted a couple inches on 31's without a straight body panel on the thing. I literally couldn't kill it, for eight months before I sold it the thing was running on 3 cylinders yet it went everywhere I wanted it to go. The feeling of not worrying about the paint or body is something I desperately want back in a 4x4 vehicle.

Anyways, I'd like to know how capable and reliable the IFS equipped 1st gen 4runners are when it comes to playing off-road. I don't really know the definition of light and moderate wheeling, so maybe you guys can post some pictures? I was thinking of lifting it maybe 2-3" but I've heard this can wreak havoc on the CV's and other bits, so I'm not sure. I'd like to run 33's if I need them to get where I want to go, but I don't want to sacrifice more than 1-2mpg or turn the thing into a slug, nor do I want to regear. If that's not possible, maybe 31's or 32's would be better for me? How do these perform with 33's?

I'd really like to see some pictures of where you guys have gone or what you've done in your stock, near stock, or slightly modified (lifted with bigger tires) 1st Gen IFS 4runners.

Thanks!
Joey
Old 08-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Your truck is very capable. Flex is overrated. Lockers will get you over most anything.

I know you said you don't want to re-gear but if you plan on throwin 33's on there, 4.88 gears would be a good choice. You can get factory diffs for $150 or less used. Then you can throw a locker in there
Old 08-17-2009, 03:54 PM

Wow, I didn't realize it could be so cheap to regear. I've had a Tacoma and a 2000 4Runner, both of which seemed to be at least $300 per diff. Which diffs came stock with 4.88's? Though, if I don't need 33's I probably won't get them.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Joey Link
Wow, I didn't realize it could be so cheap to regear. I've had a Tacoma and a 2000 4Runner, both of which seemed to be at least $300 per diff. Which diffs came stock with 4.88's? Though, if I don't need 33's I probably won't get them.
It's not that cheap if you go with new gears and have to pay the labor, but if you find a good used diff with the gears already in them it can be pretty cheap.
Jay is right, if you're going to do it and you can find them for the right price, doing a locker then is the right time to do it.

You don't need SAS for what you're doing, people will tell you that you need it no matter what but you really don't.
Just for minor trails and inclement weather driving, IFS with 4WD and lockers will be fine.

To be honest, lockers in the snow/ice suck - you'd really want an LSD.
I've got an LSD in my Tacoma and I have yet to completely spin out in 2WD as long as I'm smart about the driving and have a little bit of weight in the back.

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 08-17-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts
For the love of Joey, search. There's TONS of pics(including mine) kickin butt off the highway runnin IFS.

If you can get a first gen 'Runner, I would get it. The biggest downfall of that truck is having open diffs...that's about it. It all depends on what you want to wheel. You a mud bogger?? Rock climber?? Trail runner?? Mall crawler?? What??!? Put in a locker or LSD get some tread and get-r-done.

Wheel it, if you don't like it-change it. Want cheap and simple? Ball joint spacers and shackels in the rear and you'll probably clear 33's fine(but you should regear if you don't want a "slug").

Old 08-17-2009, 04:09 PM

this is my old 86..It had 33's a 3" BL and i raised the back an additional inch with shackles. ..It had a 22 re and 4.88 and fr and rr lockers. I had it in some nasty places and it never let me down. And it was my daily driver..

Last edited by Fink; 08-17-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

Deleted your second post and I also edited the IMG tags on your pic, it wasn't showing up with the lowercase [img] tags for some reason.

Fink
Old 08-17-2009, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
Deleted your second post and I also edited the IMG tags on your pic, it wasn't showing up with the lowercase [img] tags for some reason.

Fink
Thanks...you really are a super mod!!! i was wondering how it got fixed while i was trying to fix it.

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 08-17-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
It's not that cheap if you go with new gears and have to pay the labor, but if you find a good used diff with the gears already in them it can be pretty cheap.
Jay is right, if you're going to do it and you can find them for the right price, doing a locker then is the right time to do it.

You don't need SAS for what you're doing, people will tell you that you need it no matter what but you really don't.
Just for minor trails and inclement weather driving, IFS with 4WD and lockers will be fine.

To be honest, lockers in the snow/ice suck - you'd really want an LSD.
I've got an LSD in my Tacoma and I have yet to completely spin out in 2WD as long as I'm smart about the driving and have a little bit of weight in the back.

Fink
I'll probably go that route then, looking for cheap re-geared diffs to live in the garage until I can afford a locker or two. I just read the sticky in this section about what makes a 4x4 capable and I felt like an idiot for not thinking about the order in which to do things.

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
For the love of Joey, search. There's TONS of pics(including mine) kickin butt off the highway runnin IFS.

If you can get a first gen 'Runner, I would get it. The biggest downfall of that truck is having open diffs...that's about it. It all depends on what you want to wheel. You a mud bogger?? Rock climber?? Trail runner?? Mall crawler?? What??!? Put in a locker or LSD get some tread and get-r-done.

Wheel it, if you don't like it-change it. Want cheap and simple? Ball joint spacers and shackels in the rear and you'll probably clear 33's fine(but you should regear if you don't want a "slug").

I figured I'd like to have my own thread where I could ask specific questions and such, but I'm searching too

I prefer sand, mud, and snow. Unfortunately it seems like the tires I'll have to go with that can do all three won't do any of them particularly well.

Thanks for the info!

Originally Posted by bain
this is my old 86..It had 33's a 3" BL and i raised the back an additional inch with shackles. ..It had a 22 re and 4.88 and fr and rr lockers. I had it in some nasty places and it never let me down. And it was my daily driver..
This looks like what I'd like out of mine
Old 08-17-2009, 04:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
yeah bains got a pretty sweet 4runner there, but yeah stock IFS can kick butt as long as you know what ur doin, and lockers, gears and tires will GREATLY improve on this, but mines lifted no gears and no lockers on 35"s and i can get into some pretty nasty stuff i have a ton of pics of it but their on my phone and i cant get them onto this comp, ill have to get off my butt one day and use my buddies..lol
Old 08-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

I prefer sand, mud, and snow. Unfortunately it seems like the tires I'll have to go with that can do all three won't do any of them particularly well.

Thanks for the info!
Hmmmmm, sounds like a decent mud terrain with siping will work for you. Remember, airing your tires down makes a big difference!!!

Name:  ghettofab055.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  223.4 KB
Old 08-17-2009, 04:49 PM

I just saw you like to play in the snow..just leave the rear open..mine was a death trap on snowy icey roads...you can go a lot of places with just a front locker..

thanks yoterr....i should have never sold that baby...

Last edited by bain; 08-17-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:49 PM

Yeah airing down has made a world of difference in everything I've taken in the sand. Though I've owned probably 6-7 4x4's I've never actually been what I would consider wheeling in the mud
Old 08-17-2009, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by bain
I just saw you like to play in the snow..just leave the rear open..mine was a death trap on snowy icey roads...you can go a lot of places with just a front locker..
Absolutely love the snow. Is a rear locker detrimental to snow play?
Old 08-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

Where are you wheelin at?
Old 08-17-2009, 05:07 PM

Absolutely love the snow. Is a rear locker detrimental to snow play?
it will be untill you get use to it...its pretty scary when you're going up a hill with a slight lean and every time you give it gas you slide sideways toward the cliff. I just found that when climbing in the snow its good to have one wheel not spinning..but thats just me..and heres a pic of my pretty much stock suspensions flex...its not much but it got the job done..

Old 08-17-2009, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Where are you wheelin at?
I generally stick to around Mt. Hood, Sand Lake, and the areas in between
Old 08-17-2009, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Oregon right? Man, you got lots of fun stuff to play on!!
Old 08-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I generally stick to around Mt. Hood, Sand Lake, and the areas in between
keep on eye out for my junk at TSF sometime

tons of IFS wheelers on the trails around here
Old 08-17-2009, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As said previously, you don't need much to go wheelin in an IFS rig. Find your tires. Put them on. If they don't rub, you're good. Little rub, bash the wheelwell seem and maybe a small body lift (they are fairly cheap). Lift only as much as you need. This will usually fit 33s. If it's a slug, look for used diffs. Put on some armor (probably first thing to do). I wished I had installed my armor before I met rocks.

Second thing to consider, buy a pick up to bash and leave the runners alone. LOL

Quick Reply: How off-road capable are 1st Gen 4Runners with IFS?