Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Head Gasket again or another Motor 22re help

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Gasket again or another Motor 22re help

Hey I'm new here but I'm asking for help in making a tough decision my ride is a 94 4x4 DLX pick up 22re I have had it for bout 5 or 6 years only 136000 miles on it but have had the head gasket done three times. New head bolts and oem gasket also changed cam also oem old one had a worn lobe also put in a new timing chain kit. I had head worked by reputable machine shop and they made all necessary checks because I keep bringing it to em bout every 25000 miles or so heres where I'm at since this would be number four I don't even think this head is even machinable plus I'm thinking the block may be the cause of the repeated failure reason I'm leaning toward this is because the gasket seams to be failing in the same spot between the #2 and #3 cylinders so if this is the case block would need to be worked and if I'm gonna go through all that would I be better of just ordering a reman motor from like S&J engines and change out any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 07:39 AM

Where is the head leaking in the oil or out the tail pipe. And how hot did you get the truck
Old 08-05-2012, 07:51 AM

Into the oil and didn't run it long enough to over heat it. Noticed it might be about to have an issue because every time it has done this beginning symptom would be it would run rough on first start up as if it were skipping or missing then smooth out and run fine must have gotten bad enough now to where it filled one of the cylinders with coolant and kicked back when I tried to start it once I got it cranked it looked like a steam locomotive but only for a min then cleared up but now it is still skipping and havnt performed compression test yet but bet it's gonna be jus like last time
Old 08-05-2012, 08:54 AM

I would pull the head again check the block for cracks or warping. Are you sure you torqued the head bolts to spec and in a sequence. Many others will tell you to torque the head bolts down take it for a ride then check the head bolts again.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:33 AM

Followed torque specs to a T using Hayes manual i don't really see how if they are correct upon assembly there being any reason to retighten after running for any time after. Jus saying because after reading bout a build done 22re performance Putney suggest that any checking or retightning wouldn't be necessary but hey I'm not against it if it would solve my prob as for the block visually and after cleaning really well didn't appear to have any cracks or warpage only real way to knw would be take it out and get it worked at the machine shop
Old 08-16-2012, 01:28 PM

i have notice 1 thing i have seen no one post about on the notorious toyota head problems. on the drivers side 3rd head bolt by #3 cylinder the head bolt hole is much more shallow than the others. i now make it a habit to use a set of calipers and measure bolt length. then i measure the head and new gasket. i have had to shave a few mm off of that head bolt. also starting with a flat deck and a flat head are very good ideas.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the input guys, Sno I will have to pay close atten to this head bolt length on driver side near #3 cylinder this seams to be where my prob is closely originating as for being sure the head and block surfaces are to spec I can deal with the head but I'm under the impression that the block will have to be pulled and take trip to the machine shop as well as well as have some critical components removed to be made like new again this is where I'm faced with the decision to rebuild my 22RE or go with one that is already built and ready to drop in. If I were to go with another motor I am still going to keep this one and build it with top quality parts would even like to do some performance upgrades. Hunting season is just about here and I've gotta have my Yota rolln
Old 08-21-2012, 03:12 AM

Chances are you can buy a motor for about what its gonna cost to rebuild that one. I agree with you, if you are goin to rebuild everything needs to go to the machine shop. Atleast with a new one, there should be some kind of warranty.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Toyota had a change from the 58 fp in the Haynes on the head bolts to 62 fp, if I recall right. With as much problems you have had I would suggest getting a new motor.

I have bought 2 motors from these guys and have nothing but great things to say.

Link.... United Engine http://www.unitedengine.com/index.ph...mart&Itemid=55
Old 08-21-2012, 05:55 AM

Rite on I'm searching for another motor at this time it's really tough to decide who to get one from. $ and warranty are the key factors plus time isn't on my side with hunting season beginning soon but I don't want to make any hasty decisions and rush this.thanks for the link I'm going to check em out
Old 08-26-2012, 05:21 PM

Made alot of progress with my truck today went ahead and disassembled and pulled the head today. I have a new gasket kit from Toyota along with new head bolts ,T stat and front crankshaft seal found a failed Felpro head gasket and other off brand gaskets were used when I had it worked on the last time learned a tough lesson don't ever beleive they used exactly what you asked for not to mention payed em more because they said OEM parts would cost more all for them turn around and use whatever is cheaper. But never mind all that I think I'm on the right path.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you never did any sort of re-torquing after each head gasket replacement?
Old 08-26-2012, 05:35 PM

No I havnt in the past but have read where some say this is necessary and I am not against this practice if it will help me ensure I get the most out of what I'm putting my $ and time into
Old 09-04-2012, 05:13 PM

So the mighty yota is alive again woo hoo thanks to all for their input and advice I'm so glad to have my truck back can't even explain how great it is to turn the switch and fires rite up even better I tackled it with everyone here's help and I didn't give up on it their was a min when I thought it was an epic failure butt after getting the timing correct after putting my new gasket set with a few other things that needed doing while I was in there Im really happy thanks again