Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

General question about frame issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
General question about frame issues

I've owned several of the 22RE series trucks (87-94) over the last 15 years, and am currently thinking about replacing my '94 extra cab 4x4. Its pretty rusty and there is a small hole in the rear frame. I've been reading about the great frame "recall" which ended last year and I'm worried about getting a truck with a bad frame. From some of the threads I've read, the frame can look good one year and go to crap the next. In other words, I don't want to get a decent truck only to have to scrap it in 2 years.

What were the problem years, and was it all trucks, or just some? I've read some threads where people missed the recall by a few months and now Toyota won't help them. All vehicles have their issues, but this one is pretty severe from what I've seen and it has me seriously considering "switching teams" and getting a different make of truck. I see a lot of dealership frame-replacement trucks for sale. Should I just look at those to avoid problems?

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2013, 07:31 AM

By a Arizona truck and keeper outta water till you get the inside of the frame por-15ed and I think the recall was on 95-05 Tacomas
Old 08-13-2013, 07:59 AM

The recall was on Tacomas, not the 86-95s.

All of the trucks I have owned needed a patch in the same spot, drivers side, just behind the cab. Is that where yours is?
Old 08-13-2013, 09:17 AM

Sorry if I wasn't clear. This is not about my truck.. its rusty, its been rusty, but its about where I would expect for a '94 truck in the northeast. I'm asking about Toyota trucks in general.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by bernd
Sorry if I wasn't clear. This is not about my truck.. its rusty, its been rusty, but its about where I would expect for a '94 truck in the northeast. I'm asking about Toyota trucks in general.
Gotcha. My assumption is that it's a boxed frame issue. They rot from the inside out. No idea what the newer frames look like, but the 3.4 is a sweet motor.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:20 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The pickups built here in America !

Using frames built from the now gone Dana Corp.It was said that something was missing in the process that sped up the corrosion

I mean gone as where the plant was now part of a different company and a parking lot.

First this recall is still in effect depending on the year of your truck.

I just saw one tagged a few weeks ago.

These trucks all get crushed there are none for sale.

Maybe a replaced frame sold by the owner but that would be it.

You live in the Northeast I don`t care what you buy if you drive in the winter (liquid brine ) is brutal.

it takes out brake and fuel lines faster then frames.

Along with the steel in the bridges

I am trying the copper nickle tubing for brake and fuel lines I have my fingers crossed.

I have a 2000 Tacoma No way was I going to give it up There is nothing i can`t repair or replace on the Truck.

If you want to buy elsewhere by all means go for it
Old 08-13-2013, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Resto-noob
The recall was on Tacomas, not the 86-95s.

All of the trucks I have owned needed a patch in the same spot, drivers side, just behind the cab. Is that where yours is?
Nail my rust on the head lol but I got it on both sides
Old 08-21-2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
The pickups built here in America !
These trucks all get crushed there are none for sale.
They dont actually get crushed, I think you have to be the original or second owner of the truck andf you take it to the dealer and they replace the whole frame. My buddy's dad had his 2000 Tacoma done at the dealership.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:01 PM

Red face

Yes some are replaced much cheaper then paying Kelly Blue Book 1 1/2 value.

No you could be the 25th owner it was still your option to take it to be looked at
Old 08-22-2013, 07:16 AM

I'm reading instances where Toyota isn't replacing the frame, or helping the owner in any way. A majority seem to be where the owner missed the rust proofing offer, so Toyota will not replace the frame.

Not looking to cash in, just looking to be an informed buyer for my next truck.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:42 AM

Talking

Well that makes perfect sense to me.

If you owned a Toyota and were not aware of the frame Issue you must have lived in your own world.

I was not about to give up my Tacoma no matter how much they wanted to pay!!

Now if had been a real problem I can`t think what a real problem might be.

Although i wonder how the rust proofing spray is holding up
Old 06-22-2015, 09:02 AM

I had the rust proofing spray done, it made it worse. As you read before these box frames rust from the inside out. I was inspecting the frame where some of the rust proofing was finally dried out and cracking off. Ended up putting my finger through, than my hand, then ground off the rust until I had a hold in the frame 14 in long and up the entire width of the inside. Then I put my finger through the gas tank side.
The answer is yes, you had to parcipate in the recall where frames were replaced or sprayed. That extended your warranty for a maximum of 14 years from purchase date. Also, mine was so bad that I welded in a support on the side with the huge hole. Luckily I had a hole in the other side, because Toyota was not going to give me a new frame as I had repaired the problem. Luckily for me the other side had that smaller hole I hadn't dealt with yet.
I have read about people's frames snapping in half on lifts, etc... I am glad that Toyota is dealing with this issue, but if it were me and I wasn't having this problem fixed because I had missed a recall, or I was a second owner and the first didn't bring the frame in for the recall, I would be pissed.