Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Failed smog and I am LOST to whats wrong

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Failed smog and I am LOST to whats wrong

Not so sure this belongs in the newbie section but I have been thru this motor over and over and I cannot seem to pass smog. Just put a new cat on today which helped a little but im still running too high HC's. Here is my results from today. By the way this is a newer motor.

These readings are at the 15 miles per hour dyno test
CO2=14.5
O2=0.0
HC=MAX=218 AVG=49 MEAS=286
CO=MAX=1.58 AVG=.24 MEAS=.74
NOx=MAX=1523 AVG=535 MEAS=13

25 MPH test
CO2=14.6
02=0
HC=MAX=132 AVG=38 MEAS=141
CO=MAX=1.38 AVG=.23 MEAS=.60
NOx=MAX=1383 AVG 449 MEAS=7

Well its pretty obvious I am getting raw fuel out the exhaust but where it is coming from is beyond me. Since I installed the new motor I have been getting a little bit of a miss at all rpms. All I can think of is that this rebuild carb is junk. I am soooooooooooooooo broke from tryin to fix this truck that if I can fix it myself for cheap im gonna lock it up in the yard and call it good till I can afford to pay a mechanic to figure it out for me. Est I got to diagnose the prob could be around 200 bucks or more. If its the carb then I need its gonna cost me 250+ to get it rebuilt. I am starting to look for someone who might have an 82 yota carb I can use to see if it makes a diff. I will spend a few more bucks on a new set of plugs to see if it stops the rough idle even tho these plugs which are NGKs are only 3 weeks old. They were in my last engine which had leaky valve stem seals so they did get a little dirty but ive cleaned them since and regapped them as well. It has a new cap and rotor, fuel pump , recent rebuilt carb, engine with bout 30k miles on it. Runs VERY strong on freeway. Wants to cruise at 70 miles per hour without full throttle on flat roads. Ive also replaced replaced BVSV valve as well as the I think its a the BSV valve. I also replaced the oxygen sensor(Denso) It has a new carb base gasket(s) as well as a intake gasket with maybe 30 miles on it. I have also pulled ALL the vacuum lines and redid them triple checking that they were in the right place. I guess I should have prayed to the toyota smog gods a little more.

If anyone has any ideas or guesses to what might be up let me know.
Sorry for long post but I am just flat out blown away with this. I have wrenched on and off since I was 15teen.

Last edited by crazykooter; 04-01-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:17 PM

You're not that far off. Make sure the cat is nice and warm when you roll up for your test. Also, you might wanna try some gas-dry.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by okie81
You're not that far off. Make sure the cat is nice and warm when you roll up for your test. Also, you might wanna try some gas-dry.
Just today before I tested a ran the fuel down little below 1/4 tank then put in 5-6 gallons of prem 91 oct. I have run seafoam thru the carb and engine oil. There has to be something allowing excessive fuel into the cylinders. Someone sudgested that the jets were wrong on carb but I cant see how thats poss since all carbs from 1981 thru 1988 are the same besides a few little things. Like mine has a reed valve where the 83 carb doesnt. I will say the 82 yota has more vacuum lines then any other model of the 22Rs. Ive been googling like crazy to find some answers but when it comes to JUST high HC the reasons are very slim. If it had high HC and CO then I could narrow it down to an air leak in the manifold or vacuum but since COs are perfect it pretty just says its most likely a ignition issue. I thinK I am just cursed. SOMEONE in the SF bay area PLEASE come by and take a look and see what I am missing.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:38 AM

last year i had probs getting my 22re to pass smog on the 25 mph test. i had the tester rerun the test in a lower gear to raise the rpm's and it passed fine. my truck has hi miles and i think the motor was bogging on the dyno. hope this helps some
Old 04-02-2009, 11:43 AM

lol, you can cheat, drill some small holes on the top of you exhust after the cat so it can let out some of the gas, and try turning the idle mixture screw on the carb, make it run lean for the test then return it to wherever you were before the test. i dono if it will work im just thinking out loud.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:47 AM

If we didnt get our test done on a dyno at 15 and 25 mph I could lean out the idle screw, but since it doesnt effect anything but the idle mixture its worthless here in cali.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not acutally, the idle mixture is part of the system also. Get it good and warm and lean it out alot.....I mean take it on a drive and get everything up to temperature and make the adjustment--Also check to make sure hot coolant is flowing through your intake manifold. It helps heat the fuel and vaporize it so you can run a leaner mixture....

is it possible to temporarly make the jet holes smaller or the metering rod larger to lean it out. Is your carb one of the weber designed ones? The carb may be the same, but the jets and rods could be different sizes depending on the year....

You could also lower the float leve some with very thin washers under the needle seat to try and lean it out--it would drop the bowl level and possibly help you out.

I would also try disconnecting/plugging the EVAP tube from the tank. Because technically the evap system starts to work once you get going---right?

I thought by now you would be smog exempt? its an 83 right? I dont know what carb you have but so i am just telling you some of the things i have had to do.

Also, try decreasing the vacumn inside the venturi and bleed the air at another "Hidden" location so it would lean out.

Last edited by hross14; 04-02-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:38 PM

CAli '76 and up has to be smogged. they stopped the 25 year rule in 2000. Lame. I would be exempt this year too.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:17 PM

Your high speed is close, the low speed is still off by a bit. Other thoughts, you can try changing the oil if you haven't. I see you're running new plugs and wires...that will help a little. Like it was mentioned earlier, you want to run the engine at as high an RPM as the test will allow also. Otherwise, not knowing carbs, I wish I could help more. Like you noticed, HC is unburnt gas, so you're running rich. I'm not sure how you'd adjust that on a carb engine, but you gotta' dial back the fuel mixture.

You're using a brand new cat, correct? Generally, a new cat will do wonders. On a Corolla I had, it brought down my HC from 1100 to 170. On the off chance you have a used cat, I might question whether it's actually working. A muffler shop can measure the temp before and after the cat to tell if it's working. Like it was also mentioned, get the cat nice and hot before you smog it.

Good luck.

Last edited by Stanae86; 04-02-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:01 AM

Had the same problem with High rpm's High Hydrocarbons, all others reading normal. I got a service shop run a hight pressure cleaning into the carb and it would clean all the carbon out of the heads. It worked, all readings were below state standards. This cleaning system is used on vehicles with fuel injectors. But on my 22R (carb) it worked.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:13 AM

I worked on the truck a little more yesterday and found out what was going on for the most part. Since I dont have the original gaskets for carb I made some and what was happening was it would seal just fine for a little while then the gasket material would start to soak up the fuel. After that the gasket would fail and get a leak. I thought I got the right gasket material but it turns out I didnt. So I got some copper gasket spray which is suppose to seal the gaskets against fuel. I think I got it all sealed up but I wont really know for sure till today when I drive it for a bit. Gonna run it around as much as I can. If it stays sealed then I will have it fixed I HOPE. When I tested it I didnt notice the high rpm miss. Gonna cross my fingers and hope.
I did read a little more on adjusting the carb idle mixture and basically my year of carb should be around 2 1/2 turns out. Lets see if it will do it. I did also replace my plugs AGAIN so when I am done driving it around I can check the plugs for color.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:33 AM

MAN, i am so glad i got out of CALI. But how much longer till it come our way.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:46 PM

If the treehuggers have anything to do with it, it would be tomorrow. lol
So I talked to a place called recarbco near here and they told me to bring my carb in and they would bench test it. So I did and found out my carb is perfect. HCs at about 3000 RPMs were around 60-70. So thats very low compared to the on the truck reading of 286. So its either the base gasket leaking or the intake manifold. Its hard to tell since the manifold is so close to the carb. Gonna go buy a few more cans of break cleaner and see if I can narrow it down. If it isnt a air leak then its oil getting into the cylinders causing the high HC. I will do another compression check tomorrow and see what is going on there. All the plugs were light brown. Maybe a little darker then perfect but imo not enough to justify oil. Guess I should adjust the valves too. Man do I need a second pair of eyes to see whats going on. I think ive been on it so long I am starting to miss little stuff.
Atleast I can get my fancy red valve cover on.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:25 AM

I hear ya about being on something to long.......recheck the vac lines and vacumn test them. Check out the evap system and see if it is working right--so many variables....

Good luck and hang in there....Doesnt the state of Cali still have that program where you can get $$XXX to help you fix your car if it cant pass smog?

Here is the link:

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...sist_FAQs.html
Old 04-06-2009, 02:41 PM

Ya they do and it can take 4-6 weeks to get approved. Ive spent enough time on this thing. Its got me worn out bad. I am getting a loan and taking to a shop tomorrow and see if he cant figure it out. There is no way I am getting 268 HC and CO of .6 with a NOx of 7 thats making any sense at all. hc is unburnt fuel yet my plugs look great. I did yet another compression test today and it was about 180 on all cylinders with 6 rotations. So its good. If its vacuum I have somehow missed it. Im a better mech on engines without 100 ft of smog lines.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:13 AM

DPA--Deceptive Pratices Act? Maybe the smog shop isnt on the up and up?
Old 04-07-2009, 04:33 PM

I have it at a shop now being worked on. He seems to think its the valves are being left open hense the HC being so high. Hes adjusted the valves on it and now I guess hes out test driving it. Then its gonna get a pretest smog done to see if its right. I had adjusted the valves yesterday and they were fine but they may have tightened up. If it is the silly ars valves im gonna scream. Maybe I should have adjusted them very loose. We shall see. I will post back when I hear back from him. Good thing is if the valves dont fix it to pass smog then hes only gonna charge me a 85 bucks.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:54 PM

I hate California smog.
Did you know they will fail you if your idle is a little off?
They failed me and my idle was off only 200 rpms.
But you do have to think of the good side to. At least the cars do not rust away here.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:31 AM

Ok so it turns out my manifold vacuum is very good at 21-22 idle. There is a slight jump in needle which is telling the mech it is a sticky valve. He loosened the 3 cylinder valve adjustment and then did a dyno with it which gave great results. He wanted to test again and the valve tightened back up which is sorta good but it raised my 25 mph hc. So hes gonna readjust the 3rd intake valve today and have me drive it for a bit. I guess what has happened was the carbon has built up on the valve hense the high hc but to get the valve to reseat you have to run it for a bit with readjustments till its fully seated. He thinks by today it will easily pass smog.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:37 AM

So today I get to go and get my truck to pass smog finally. The intake valve on 3 was really being stubborn about reseating. Anyhow he did a pretest and it passed so now I can go to a test only today and get it done. Gonna be nice to be able to drive this thing again. Now I just wish I hadnt sold my stereo out of it.

Quick Reply: Failed smog and I am LOST to whats wrong