Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Full rebuild? Or bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Full rebuild? Or bearing?

After searching through forums this past year after I bought my first Toyota, I've committed to an account.

As a novice working against Alaskan winter, time, and money, wanted some advice on how far to go down the rabbit hole....

My two mechanic friends have advised a full top end rebuild on my 93 4 cylinder sr5 4runner, odometer 173k, but with spliced in and shortened engine electrical, on account of:
Gouged and scratched oil pump; pulled it off last month to replace the seal, they saw it, said not only could I not put it back on, but the amount and location of some of the wear (oil/gear guide), meant my main bearings were likely shot.
Got 'er running (minus ps, agh), and one pointed out the high pitched whirring coming from underneath the head, likely a shot cam bearing, requiring a new camshaft, which might as well be new head if the wear was as severe as on the oil pump..
and why put a new head on a possibly cracked/uneven block, and that crank was probably unevenly worn riding on the oil pump like that..

I figured around $1200 for:
Engine Builder rv Head
Engine builder master engine rebuild kit+ camshaft (261 c I was figurin')
Freshly dunked and planed block + turned crankshaft ready to go from my buddy's 1986 22re sr5 pu for $250 or around the same amount to do my own (then there's waiting on ordering parts)
Planed flywheel
fluids, etc.

I usually am of the mantra of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and I'm wondering if all of this is really necessary, but i am certainly no seasoned veteran. there is minimal oil leakage (just out one side of the oil pan), and it looks like the timing cover was recently done. i bought it from an Asian in Mt. View and in replacing the fuel pump, cvs, and pulling out all the AC, I've found a lot of sand in it, probably a beach/river wheelin rig at some point.

Can I just do the main bearings and/or a new camshaft and still get across the Alcan safely end of January when my boyfriend and I are planning to move via 4Runner to Portland? Where engine builder is based (no free shipping to Alaska)? What are the implications of leaving something like that alone? About 2500 miles to Portland from Anchorage..whatcha'll think? Any information at this point would be very helpful. Thank you.